My guitar is uh maybe 3 months old or 4 and I have a problem that kinda pisses me off. It's an ibanez sas32ex with a sat pro II bridge

When I first got it, using the whammy bar never detuned it. Then months passed by and all... Changed strings a couple of times, adjusting everything well, the action is ok... But it started maybe this month.

Everytimes I use my whammy bar:
1: Strings detunes [sometimes not, let's say it happens like 3/4 or maybe 3/5 times]
2: I hear a little strange noise coming form... the nut?

The noise is very weird... Like a little "tching". Sometimes its from the E string ,sometimes G and I think I heard it from the B one too. It happens everytimes I use the whammy bar or bend really high.

I seeked for what was the problem and I believe it comes or from my tuners, or from the nut. Maybe my bridge is screwed up somewhere too, I don't know...

I changed my strings and it still happens. Checked the action/intonation too

Anyone had that kind of prob? Or can figure out what is my prob?

Thanks in advance
have u been doing dimebag squealies without a floyd rose?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 18, 2008,
well, what you have described sounds like you need your nut lubed.

that is the quickest and cheapest thing to do first. I've heard people using WD40 or even ground up pencil lead. Next time you change your strings take a sharp pencil and work some pencil lead in there. There is also an official product out there for this and maybe someone can recommend what it is, I forgot.
Youre right man...even the military is going to Graphite powders instead
of grease and oil for weapons in the desert.
Mmmm I never done this before but I heard about it on this site. But everytime I see a thread like that I wonder what is it about. But it sounds good but I don't know how I should do that and where I can start this action. (what do I need to do that, where do I get that and what to do next)

Well I guess ima start to use teh search fonction.

Thanks guys

Edit: What are dimbg squealies?
Last edited by kevC4 at Jul 18, 2008,
*bump*

Yes, I know I know, that's bad. But it's better than making a new thread for another question... at the end it's the same. I just want to know a little something about my problem.

Anyway what if I just change the nut for a bone nut? My teacher talked to me about that some weeks ago cause he told me a plastic nut isn't the best.
Quote by kevC4
What are dimbg squealies?

I think its a divebombed pinch harmonic. people call them "dimebag squeals" because dimebag did it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah..most trems are used to drop the note in pitch...

Dimebag darrell used a floyd rose to make the notes rise in pitch.
Some players unscrew bolts in the trem and make it loose so they
can make notes rise as well as fall. That kind of aggressive playing
is a really good way to ruin a guitar.
Quote by kevC4
*bump*

Yes, I know I know, that's bad. But it's better than making a new thread for another question... at the end it's the same. I just want to know a little something about my problem.

Anyway what if I just change the nut for a bone nut? My teacher talked to me about that some weeks ago cause he told me a plastic nut isn't the best.

You'd be better off with the pencil lead. It's just easier to do.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Anyway I didn't find any pencil lead and I have something new here.

I just removed all my strings and used for the first time lemon oil on my guitar and cleaned my guitar everywhere. After placing new strings and streching them like always, I tuned and all and I don't have detuning problems anymore. It's really weird. I don't think it's because of my strings because they were new already and I replaced them because I couldn't put them back because when I remove them they go all deformed. But I really don't get how come.

Even if I do dimebag squealies to test , It doesn't detune anymore and I don't hear that little tching anymore. My first E strings, the big one, untuned once but never again.

ps: does lemon oil helps for playing?
Quote by kevC4
Anyway I didn't find any pencil lead and I have something new here.

I just removed all my strings and used for the first time lemon oil on my guitar and cleaned my guitar everywhere. After placing new strings and streching them like always, I tuned and all and I don't have detuning problems anymore. It's really weird. I don't think it's because of my strings because they were new already and I replaced them because I couldn't put them back because when I remove them they go all deformed. But I really don't get how come.

Even if I do dimebag squealies to test , It doesn't detune anymore and I don't hear that little tching anymore. My first E strings, the big one, untuned once but never again.

ps: does lemon oil helps for playing?

well, i'm not a guitar tech but here is my opinion.

if the new strings help and your problem goes away then great. if your problem comes back, then at least you can somewhat disregard the new string theory. Right?

Strings will continue to stretch due to stress from top of neck. Notice how guitars tend to de-tune flat? Personally, I would have done something for the neck nut lubrication wise while you had the strings off as it helps the string move freely vs making drastic change. My fear is your new stings will face the same thing at some point.

if you have an Ebody or Rosewood fingerboard lemon oil spray for fretboards can preserve your board (recent speculation here) but don't over do it imo. And yes, it will make the board slippery for a bit. I think I prefer the sting cleaner for more frequent cleaning as it prolongs string life and is nice and slippery.

good luck
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, i'm not a guitar tech but here is my opinion.

if the new strings help and your problem goes away then great. if your problem comes back, then at least you can somewhat disregard the new string theory. Right?

Strings will continue to stretch due to stress from top of neck. Notice how guitars tend to de-tune flat? Personally, I would have done something for the neck nut lubrication wise while you had the strings off as it helps the string move freely vs making drastic change. My fear is your new stings will face the same thing at some point.

if you have an Ebody or Rosewood fingerboard lemon oil spray for fretboards can preserve your board (recent speculation here) but don't over do it imo. And yes, it will make the board slippery for a bit. I think I prefer the sting cleaner for more frequent cleaning as it prolongs string life and is nice and slippery.

good luck

Mmm well I think you're right, the only thing is that this problem was there before I added the strings I had before. You know, those I removed. When I first added those, I already had that problem before, and now it's just somehow gone. But ima get a graphite nut soon anyway.

And string cleaner is fast fret right?
^Right.

So it sounds to me that if you've had this problem for the last 3 sets of stings then something needs to be changed. I think you got it. Fast Fret is basically the same thing yes. Oh, and do lubricate your nut while waiting for new nut.

PS...we really are not sure what the problem is are we? I'm not familiar with a Sat Pro II Ibanez Bridge.

well...maybe someone else can take over
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, what you have described sounds like you need your nut lubed.

that is the quickest and cheapest thing to do first. I've heard people using WD40 or even ground up pencil lead. Next time you change your strings take a sharp pencil and work some pencil lead in there. There is also an official product out there for this and maybe someone can recommend what it is, I forgot.

i believe the stuff is called Nut Sauce
s('-^)-b
well im not to shure on the bridge cause i have never owned an ibanez and my cousins has a Hardtail bridge mabye i can look into it though

Edit: did you ever up the gauge on the strings u use? it basicly sounds like your nut is grabing the strings and after a bend or a pullup your nut lets go under the force
s('-^)-b
Last edited by Natorjc at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by kevC4
Mmmm I never done this before but I heard about it on this site. But everytime I see a thread like that I wonder what is it about. But it sounds good but I don't know how I should do that and where I can start this action. (what do I need to do that, where do I get that and what to do next)

Well I guess ima start to use teh search fonction.

Thanks guys

Edit: What are dimbg squealies?

Its a Guitar trick that "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott used alot. It consists of plucking and or flicking a string depresing the wammy "divebomb" then hitting a harmonic and diving in the oposite direction. It works in Vice versa also. Also Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen used the simplified version of the "Dimebag" squeal in their music. Vai and Halen did this before Dime and Dime picked it up and mixed it around. Never heard of "Dimebag" Darrell (I should slap you but wont cause I'm a nice guy.) He was the guitarist of Pantera a little band you may have heard of). Then before he was murdered was the guitarist of Damageplan and Rebel meets Rebel.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Well my bridge seems to be working fine, I suspect that something near the neck is wrong.

And I think I found the prob

a crack =/

i dont think you can see the red circle, ill post more pics in some mins
Sometimes my finetuners are kinda loose and they start to make this annoying sound, could that be it?
Quote by Virtuoso883
Sometimes my finetuners are kinda loose and they start to make this annoying sound, could that be it?

I suspected that too but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

But seriously it doesn't happen anymore... It's freaking weird. And I've been having fun with my whammy bar just to test. Nothing.

anyway here's another pic

click on it to make it go bigger

edit: I don't have fine tunners, my bridge is a sat pro II lol , but the sound comes from the neck.
I maybe have an explication.

With my other sets of strings, that string stucked in the crack and so it was messing everything up, and now, the string, fortunatly , didn't go stuck in that little crack. So no more problem... For the moment. It can sneak in there anytime I guess.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
New nut time!

+1
replacing a Nut is not that expensive to do so id say go ahead and replace it and if it still does it i really dont know what to tell you
s('-^)-b