I'm in need of a starter bass, and those were the two cheapest used models i could find at L&M. I hate the look of the squires, but i heard i get the best bang for my buck.

. As for Amps, what kind of power am i going to need to be heard above my drums and guitar. I have a 16w amp for guitar, upgrading to 30 soon.
What kind of music do you play?

For amps you're going to need 150+ watts.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Well they are both P bass rips, they pretty much look the same.

I would get the Kramer only because Squire is the absolute worst thing ever made. Basses at that price level pretty much have no differance you could get almost anything in that range and it would be the same. Just stay away from Squire and SX, the two worst basses you can buy.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Well they are both P bass rips, they pretty much look the same.

I would get the Kramer only because Squire is the absolute worst thing ever made. Basses at that price level pretty much have no differance you could get almost anything in that range and it would be the same. Just stay away from Squire and SX, the two worst basses you can buy.

Troll troll troll.
Have you not noticed the almost unanimous approval for VM series Squiers?
Quote by telecastrmastr

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Troll troll troll.

Have fun playing with toys........
Quote by solid_moose
Troll troll troll.

I highly doubt he's a troll, he's just stating his opinion (albeit with a spelling mistake on Squier). Maybe he's had bad experience with the ones he's tried or maybe he's only tried the affinity or something. It's a bit stupid to call him a troll though.

TS I've not played a Kramer so I can't give you an opinion on that but I've had fairly good experiences with Squiers and would recommend them.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by e-bowie

. As for Amps, what kind of power am i going to need to be heard above my drums and guitar. I have a 16w amp for guitar, upgrading to 30 soon.

Hope your not planning on running your bass through it...
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Have fun playing with toys........

Have you played the VM series basses?
Quote by telecastrmastr

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Squire is the absolute worst thing ever made.

I love my squire, but that only because it was free. Thier guitar sucks like none other though.

My friend has a Kramer guitar (Baretta if anyone cares) and I like it as far as tone, so I wouldn't image thier basses are much differant. Personally, I have never even seen a Kramer bass
~Insert Signature Here~
Be wary of Kramer basses, they are owned by Gibson, and we know how that story goes.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by e-bowie
I'm in need of a starter bass, and those were the two cheapest used models i could find at L&M. I hate the look of the squires, but i heard i get the best bang for my buck.

I'll sell you my Ibanez TR70, which is better then both of those ****factories, for a c note.
i would go with a squier myself, i have tried some affinity series basses that feeled so damn good that you could buy one instead of a MIM fender and VM squiers are just killer, but try many basses, because the problem with squier is their quality control
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
The general consensus with basses is that gibson (who own kramer) make crappy basses with poor tone and fender (who make squiers) make the most well respected and competent basses out there. That said, no bass will sound good at that price range anyway,so just buy with your walletand whichever feels/looks better.
Nothing at that price range will sound excellent, but if you wanna learn, than those are the 2 cheapest. As for amps, a 200w would be good. Acoustic amps just came out with a nice combo for about $350, but i think the 100w version for only $250 would cut it if you have a PA.
as for wattage for the amp i have this rule

being heard over the drums with good sound = 75 or 50 watts
being heard over damn loud guitarrist = who the the hell knows!!, at least 150 watts, 400 tu be sure, and be ready to have to use a 1200 watts amp
really guitarrist can be way too loud
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I have a squier Aff Pbass, it hass an alder body and a phenominal neck. Don't write them off so easily. And yes, SX does suck massive balls.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke