Page 1 of 2
so there was this thread made about them two years ago, but as i said then:
oh man, if i was going to write a thread on them, it would be more than "go here".

here goes.. (do you see what i did there?)

a silver mount zion first started back in 1999 as a project for godspeed you black emperor founder, efrim menuck, to learn to score music, but soon decided he liked the idea of "fumbling" along as he went. he later recruited a few other godspeed members, the co-owner of constellation records, and some other montreal musicians to make up what the band is today.

for a much better bio, and some background on releases, constellation can help you out.

for someone who has never heard their sound, 'horses in the sky' would be a good place to start. but if you find the vocals too much, then try their first record 'he has left us alone...'.
i didn't want to link to it, but this fan made myspace has a few tunes on it. http://www.myspace.com/tralalaband

and for the real reason i wanted to make this thread- go watch this video:

http://www.blogotheque.net/Silver-Mount-Zion
I haven't really listened to them yet but I've been meaning to for a while. Thanks for making this thread.
I bought Horses in the Sky a while ago but still haven't given it a proper listen, liked what i heard when I was half-listening though..
My friend told me about this band, been meaning to check them out. Fantastic stuff, I really like it, definitely something I'll look into more.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
"He Has Left Us Alone, But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms..." is one of my favourite albums.
Is 13 Blues really worth getting? I mean really? I like He Has Left Us Alone, but can't really get into the two after that. I think my favourite side of them is the mad progressive folk/post-rock mash-up of Horses In The Sky. I've also heard very mixed things about 13 Blues.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Is 13 Blues really worth getting? I mean really? I like He Has Left Us Alone, but can't really get into the two after that. I think my favourite side of them is the mad progressive folk/post-rock mash-up of Horses In The Sky. I've also heard very mixed things about 13 Blues.

In my opinion, you should stick well clear of "13 Blues... ".
i like 13 blues. "blindblindblind" is worth admission price alone.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Quote by Tombe

if you enjoyed horses in the sky, then 13 blues is a worth a shot. there isn't much folk on it, but think of it full of the rock elements that make up 'ring them bells'.

and as matt said, blindblindblind is the best song i've heard in the past 5 years.
i really really hope to see it live someday.

also, any recommendations for a good bootleg concert to download?
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
i don't have any personal favorites, but you can browse shows by year over at www.archive.org

some of the shows are rated, but i think you can listen to them before downloading, too.
Quote by starsnostars
if you enjoyed horses in the sky, then 13 blues is a worth a shot. there isn't much folk on it, but think of it full of the rock elements that make up 'ring them bells'.

and as matt said, blindblindblind is the best song i've heard in the past 5 years.

you're so biased...

i prefer all the other songs in the record to blindblindblind, but i like heavier stuff
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
it confirms. i'm seeing them 1st november uoohoo
they are freakin awesome
they are right below GYBE in awesomeness
i really would love to see them live
comparing the two seems dumb to me; completely different bands. since we're on the subject, the only thing that godspeed did that i think really comes close is the slow riot ep.
it is so hard not compare a band that has comes out of another band. it happens all the time.
gybe sucks balls. can't listen to a single track of theirs
Great band, better name. "Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band with Choir" is the full name, lol.
The a capella ending of blindblindblind is still the most affecting thing I've ever seen live. Stunning.
i wish i could see that one live. on record it seems so huge, i can only imagine it in person.
they are a live band. as amazing as the music is on record, it's that much better live. only band i've seen multiple times, and have yet to disappoint me.

speaking of which, if you haven't watched that video that linked on my first post, i uploaded it to youtube.

so watch it

now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPV4kQQPbWk
i'm really annoyed i missed them when they came to the uk this year, as much as i like it their website ain't brilliant in terms of finding out tour dates...but i sure hope they come back, as people have said here i've heard they're amazing live.

as for the gybe! comparison, i don't think, at least now, that they can be compared. asmz's sound has far outgrown gybe!, and become something of its own, which still allows you to listen to each for a different feeling, or so i feel. to be honest, for me gybe! are more consistantly brilliant, especially lift yr skinny fists, but asmz are amazing all the same.
It Could Be Sweet, Like A Long Forgotten Dream

Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
...let me (genuinely) congratulate you on posting the most interesting thread I've seen in an age.

Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The Monty Python Appreciation Society
'Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward' is their best in my opinion. A damn fine album.
ack, apparently the uk isn't part of europe...why do the french get so many shows? ah well, i'll just enjoy pretty little lightning paw, which came through the post today. interesting so far, i enjoyed more action! less tears!
It Could Be Sweet, Like A Long Forgotten Dream

Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
...let me (genuinely) congratulate you on posting the most interesting thread I've seen in an age.

Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The Monty Python Appreciation Society
Would I like "He has Left us Alone. . " or "Horses in the Sky" better? I've been meaning to order an album from these guys for a while.

I prefer their songs with lyrics but I'm up for anything.

Edit: Just the title of "He has left us alone. . ." really makes me want to buy it.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at May 8, 2009,
erm, Horses in the Sky is gorgeous and has more of the songs with vocals included.
I just got into this band the other day. Amazing stuff
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
* Band: Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra
* Title: Kollaps Tradixionales
* Formats: CD
* Release Date: February 8, 2010 (Europe), February 16, 2010 (rest of world)
* Duration: 54:29

Tracklist

1. There Is A Light
2. I Built Myself A Metal Bird
3. I Fed My Metal Bird The Wings Of Other Metal Birds
4. Kollapz Tradixional (Thee Olde Dirty Flag)
5. Collapse Traditional (For Darling)
6. Kollaps Tradicional (Bury 3 Dynamos)
7. 'Piphany Rambler

Personnel

Thierry Amar
Efrim Menuck
Jessica Moss
David Payant
Sophie Trudeau
Guests

Gordon Allen
Adam Kinner
Matana Roberts
Jason Sharp
Recording

Recorded by Howard Bilerman and Radwan Moumneh at the Hotel2Tango, Montreal, 2009.

Mastered by Harris Newman at Greymarket.

via: http://cstrecords.com/releases/cst063/info
Page 1 of 2