Page 1 of 2
Ok, for the past 3 weeks, I've been borrowing my sister's acoustic guitar to learn how to play. So far I can play some intermediate songs, mostly from Coheed and Cambria's album, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3.

Well, I went to walmart today, and I bought a $100 guitar ! Yeah I know it's prolly a piece of crap compared to some of the stuff you have. But I'm just a beginner, and I don't really have $1500 to spare.

So, it's got a maple wood neck, rosewood fretboard, idk the string sizes (6), black head, and something about high output thingy, for distortion. It weighs 10 lbs. No whammy bar.

I didn't have enough money on me to buy a decent amp atm, but I will next week. I'm gonna get the 10 watt one, which is the best one walmart has. Or I might go browsing Hastings, or Mundt Music. But prolly Walmart, for various reasons.

So I was so excited I decided to post a thread about it here . My FIRST GUITAR!!! w00t!
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Great news, man. I'm glad you're taking an interest.

However, you're in the wrong forum; this is an off-topic forum.

Either post in the New Members forum and introduce yourself, or post in the Electric Guitar forum.

Still, nice to have you here at UG.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
cool!!! i had to trade mine in to help save up for this jazz guitar I want. only 175 dollars away!!! but ya congrats on your purchase
Way to go buddy. Have fun learning guitar, don't make it a chore. If you need help, you have whole community behind you.

Welcome to the jungle, buddy!
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
\m/

Rock on good buddy, play the hell out of that somabitch

>=D
The Pit. The Movie.
Congratulations. Stay out of the pit before you get addicted like the rest of us.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by JeanMi36
Way to go buddy. Have fun learning guitar, don't make it a chore. If you need help, you have whole community behind you.

Your gonna die!!!!!!!
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Great to have you around man, make that high output thingy howl.
Quote by CowboyUp
Well as we all know you can get a whammy bar for about 20$ extra....

Lmao.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Am I really gonna be the first to tell you not to buy an amp at Wal-Mart?

That's unusual.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Congrats on the new guitar, unfortunately, if you got it at walmart, it's probably a first act. That was what I first had for a guitar, and trust me, pretty soon, after you play any other guitar, you'll want to upgrade. (Unless you like the feel of it, in which case, glad you like it)

When you get the money, if you feel like upgrading, go for squires, or epiphones, they're low price but extremely decent quality.

Good luck learning, enjoy the pit, but most importantly, have fun playing, because that's all that matters.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Quote by CowboyUp

Or you could do what Slash and Buckethead do: choose a low fret like the 12th since it's easier to pull, preferably on the 6th string, then pull the string so it touches the 5th.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Thanks everyone. I plan on being very good at the guitar...... that sounded much better in my head

Quote by XianXiuHong
Congratulations on getting a guitar.

Remember to feed it, clean it and play with it everyday otherwise it will run away.

I'm not joking.

:O :O :O
well I got the clean it and play with it everyday part down pat .

Quote by CowboyUp

Really? cool. gonna get me one ASAP. Unless you're joking...

Quote by Alter-Bridge
Congratulations. Stay out of the pit before you get addicted like the rest of us.

Too late! i've been addicted to the pit since June :O...... v.v
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner

My MySpace
Good luck dude, you'll need it.

btw, how much do you have for an amp?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Am I really gonna be the first to tell you not to buy an amp at Wal-Mart?

That's unusual.

I think he should buy one. Having bad gear when you're learning to play guitar has many advantages.

First: It's cheap, therefore if you find you're not cut out to play guitar, or you lose interest, you haven't wasted a lot of money.

Second: If you do continue playing guitar and start improving, you realise that it takes more skill and technique to make a bad amp sound good than a good amp sound good. If you can make that bad amp sound moderately good, you'll know you're on the way for a gear upgrade.

EDIT: Yeah, that didn't make sense before the edit...

I remember my first guitar. I bought a Ibanez GAX 70 for 100 bucks at a pawn shop. I got it because it looked kinda like an SG. Now I have an SG and I hate the GAX 70 lol.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Quote by FloyDZeD
Or you could do what Slash and Buckethead do: choose a low fret like the 12th since it's easier to pull, preferably on the 6th string, then pull the string so it touches the 5th.

If you really wanna make it sound like a whammy bar, wiggle it a bit.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by octavarium78
Good luck dude, you'll need it.

btw, how much do you have for an amp?

$60 bucks next week. Unless one of my parents chips in :/.

I don't have a job yet, just allowance .
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Quote by shanethestoner

My MySpace
Quote by FloyDZeD

That's just a half-pitch bend...

Whammy bars generally decrease pitch, not increase. Without a whammy bar, the only way to do that would be to push the neck up away from the body so the strings lose tension. I don't recommend doing that very often, though.

Quote by JeanMi36

ever time i ask forhelp people tell to buy new stuff. i do need a new guitar though
Quote by Green_Jelly

Quote by gnomieowns
damn. can't you get your girlfrie...
nevermind.
Right now you're offending at least 75% of the Pit.

jackson warrior on the way in $400
Quote by SuperKoolKid
$60 bucks next week. Unless one of my parents chips in :/.

I don't have a job yet, just allowance .

Save yo money. Even a Marshall MG is better than wal-mart amps, and if you've got enough for an MG, and any shopping skills, you can find something well worth your money.
Quote by Smokey Amp

Whammy bars generally decrease pitch, not increase. Without a whammy bar, the only way to do that would be to push the neck up away from the body so the strings lose tension. I don't recommend doing that very often, though.

You haven't seen the "whammy without a whammy bar" video?

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Metalliklok
I remember my first guitar. I bought a Ibanez GAX 70 for 100 bucks at a pawn shop. I got it because it looked kinda like an SG. Now I have an SG and I hate the GAX 70 lol.

one of my friends has an SG, and his is messed up, he just got it a few weeks ago, and it looks like he threw it down the stairs, jumped on it, beat it with a baseball bat, poured lighter fluid on it, and went Hendrix on it.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If you really wanna make it sound like a whammy bar, wiggle it a bit.

I don't get it :/. You don't mean bend it, do you?

And plus, I haven't ever gotten to hear a whammy in action irl, just on Guitar Hero , so idk if that's what it really sounds like.
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Quote by shanethestoner

My MySpace
Quote by Smokey Amp

Watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OONnAVIQ3I
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
You haven't seen the "whammy without a whammy bar" video?

Frayed knot.

cool

just dont do what my freind did. he said he wanted a guitar until he hurt his finger today o_O
awesome dude..! i would suggest learning some sabbath stuff in the beginning. its piss easy and sounds uber cool./ good luck rockin out.
Quote by Plus_the_Bear

Electric Wizard owns.

Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
electricwizard_ wins at common sense!!!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this in your sig.
Quote by Graveworm
Video or fuck off.

Reported.

He probably means he can play a couple of intros and whatnot.

Don't be an arse-radiator.

Oh the coming months will be hell, you will go through motivation,demotivation,pain,sadness,incompleteness,feeling incopetent,being laughed at and realising that you suck.

Then you will have practised a bit more and start enjoying and learnig hings. At least that what it was like for me.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

how much does a Marshall MG cost?
I doubt I can convince my parents to go onboard with anohter $100 :/

oh, and you don't miss what you don't have. whenever I get a job, I'll get the good gear .
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Quote by shanethestoner

My MySpace
Quote by SuperKoolKid
how much does a Marshall MG cost?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You do not buy Marshall MGs.

Ok maybe for a beginner but they make the guitar sound like a fart unless it has the overdrive maxed.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by Gord@k
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You do not buy Marshall MGs.

I'd agree with this, but there's not much out there for the lower-tier buyer.

You're limited to Line 6 Spiders or Marshall Mgs if you're lookin for branded, tolerable amps.

I had a Fender Frontman (15G) when I first started playing and I must say I never regretted owning it. You could pick one of those up very, very cheaply.

Page 1 of 2