so my tone needs a bit of work. i'm running an epiphone les paul through a vox valvetronix and the tone i kinda fizzy and buzzy
what can i do to make the tone better, and give me a nice vintage-y crunch specifically with my EQ settings (upping mids, lowering/raising treble/bass) etc?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
bump?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
what's ur current setting?

are you using preset or manual mode?

amp model, EQ settings, gimme the info and i can prolly help.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
well right now i'm using the AC30 model, and my EQ settings are:
gain - 2:00
volume - 10:00
treble - 1:00
mid - 2:00
bass - 3:00
master volume - 12:00 and i'm using a fair bit of compression
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
i dunno, i find the valvetronix lacks a fair bit of gain and sustain and sounds "clean" even when i crank up the gain. Even when i did crank up the gain, the sound gut muddier, so i compensated by putting in some compression.

EDIT: ok, so i put the gain back to 1:00, the bass down to 1:00-2:00 and upped the mids to round 3:00 and the sounds improved a bit though it still does sound a bit harsh and the notes of chords don't "blend" smoothly
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Last edited by hell_monkey at Jul 18, 2008,
you should see if upping the volume might clear anything out, the vox responds better than most SS amps when u turn up the volume. also, back off the bass just a bit. ur EQ sounds fairly reasonable though...

what tone are you going for? and if you're looking for more gain, why not just use the UK 80s setting? the Boutique OD setting is rather crunchy and nice, and has a good amount of gain available for it. try that one out too, it's prolly my second fave in the whole amp.

slash_edit: notes don't 'blend' quite right? 100% sure you're in tune? i only get that prob when one or two of my strings starts gettin' a lil loose b/c of my hard attack.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
By brit combo, do you mean teh UK 70's setting? cuz i find that setting to be rather weak, the AC30 setting gives me a more vintage classic rock tone
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Now that you mention it, the UK 70's model sounds a LOT better when you raise the volume, surprising for an SS amp...
and slash_rocks, you reminded me, i DO have an intonation problem, my damn B string sounds perfectly in tune EXCEPT when its open where it sounds incredibly sharp, which irritates me to no end, especially when playing chords
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
^right right. as long as ur strings are all in good tune they shouldn't muddy up w/ mid gain or lower. insane hi gain is a different story esepcially on the neck pup. but u should be alrite if ur in tune. work on setting ur intonation some if you can.

let me know how you like the Boutique OD model, i love that one. and yea, the vox sounds a bit better when turned up, it's got some tube-like characteristic.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
thanks for all the help
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag