Just to clearify in advance, this isn't a thread that has anything to do with my amp, my amp has no relavence to this thread in any way. This also isn't a thread for guitar suggestions, I've already made up my mind.

I'm going to be buying an ESP LTD Viper 407 ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPVP407 ) as soon as possible, and since this is going to be the last electric guitar I intend on buying for a long time, I'm going to make this thing as perfect as I can manage..
And so arises my first concern: Not only do I love the heaviest, darkest forms of metal, but I am also a big fan of jazz, and other genres of music where distortion can be very out of place and unappreciated. I know that EMG and active pick-ups and general have a bad reputation when it comes to clean tones.. So I'm considering switching out the neck pickup with a DiMarzio Blaze pickup ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP700-Blaze-7String-Neck-Pickup?sku=302705 ), the kind Steve Vai uses in the Universe models. I've played the Universe and enjoyed the sound, and I have always been able to trust Steve Vai as far as equipment goes..
HOWEVER, I do not know if I can switch an active pickup out with a passive one, and I don't know if that's going to be the right pickup in the context of that guitar.

So to sum this whole thing up, I'm asking you all if the Blaze DP700 Neck pickup will be able to replace the EMG 707, and whether or not it will do what I'm looking for, and if not, what I should be looking at.

I do appologize if this is in the section of the forum, or if a similar question has been asnwered elsewhere. If the latter is the case, direct me to it, please.

Thank you all for your time and help in advance.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
the 707 and the 81-7 are actives, am i right? it's not recommended to mix actives and passives. the wiring would be different.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=36

check the link.

The EMG-707 is a seven string pickup for guitar. The pickup is housed in our 35 Extended bass housing, so it's not a direct replacement for a humbucking pickup.

Which means that you're not going to be able to swap out for another 7 string humbucker.

Even though you've made up your mind, it looks like you should be looking for guitar suggestions unless you want to be stuck with the EMG's. From what I've read, it looks like youw ant a bit more versatility though.

Edit: i haven't tried it with EMG's, but I've read that people who have done the 18V mod have reported much better cleans to work with. You could also swap out the neck pup for the 707TW so you can have the coil tapping function and therefore get better cleans out of it.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Try one of the coil-tappable 707TW's, they're supposed to sound pretty good for cleans. Your tone and volume knobs are also your friends.

You could also buy a Blaze bridge and neck and some special pickup rings (I think they're from frets on the net) to replace the EMG's and cover the holes.
Will do with the 707TW.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.