I watched the VH-1 Rock Honors The Who tonight.

And it got me thinking, I've heard many songs by the who, but I've never really gotten into them. So I think I might go out and get one of their CD's soon.

I have known that John Entwistle is a quite talented and influencial bassist, and i could pick up quite a bit from listining to him and learning his stuff.

So I was curious which album by The Who would be the most beneficial as a learning tool from a bassists perspective, and what showcases Enwistle the best?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Screw Tool or any **** new age band. Who has the best bass lines I've ever heard, not to mention god like drums and guitars.

I'd say sell off your entire cd collection and use the $ to buy Who cds, thats how much they pwn everyone else.

Get Whos Next, Live at Leeds, Tommy , Qaudrophenia.. those are the best ones.

You will learn alot from Entwistles bass work it is scary how good he was at the time, even todays "top" bassists are **** compared to him.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Screw Tool or any **** new age band. Who has the best bass lines I've ever heard, not to mention god like drums and guitars.

Did you just take like 3 words out of his entire paragraph and not bother to read the rest?
I <3 Companion Cube
Live At Leeds

Quadrophenia (Particularly The Real Me)

Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Those three between them should give you a pretty good grasp of his style. He was far more impressive live than in the studio.
Quadrophenia is the way to go on this if you want to learn it from tab.
Otherwise Live at Leeds!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Get the Live at Leeds (2001 Deluxe ed), which has almost the entire concert. What always blows me away when I listen to that album is that how John was able to lock with Moon's frantic drumming style in a cohesive way and really be the steady rock of the rhythm section.

If you want to get a quick "overview" CD, the Kids are Alright is a nice sampler.
Live at Leeds
Live at the Isle of Wight
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Atheist right?

But to TS Live at Leeds or Quadrophenia seems to be what you're looking for.
But to TS Live at Leeds or Quadrophenia seems to be what you're looking for

+1
There are lots of good quality sounding "Best of the Who" Cds out there, but they always seem to miss the brilliant bass performance songs, like "Real Me" or "Boris the Spider", etc.