I could buff up this story and make it drone on and on, but i'll keep it short..ish. My band has been together for about 3 years now, and we've had the same lineup the whole time (although in the second year we added a keyboard player.) Regardless, our singer/rythm guitarist is...well...he's not that great of a singer, and I personally believe it's holding us back from a larger fanbase and more versatile song choices/compositions. This wouldn't be a problem, except that he created the band, he invited us all to be in it, he's our chief songwriter and he holds his title of lead singer very close to him. He's also our really good friend. However, recently I discovered a hidden talent in one of my close friends, who happens to be an amazing singer. So first off, how can one of our band members stop being a wuss and finally tell him the truth, and secondly, if we do tell him, how would i go about immediately announcing his potential replacement? (we'd keep him on rythm guitar and backup vocals, of course)

Thanks!
Quote by adamk991100
I'm not in college, but i'd imagine the parties like the ones I just downloaded...

Quote by Weaponized
vagelier and PinkFender_69 are actually pretty dope
Hey, one of those people is me!

Just hang on a second, I'll be back.
i dont follow :S
Quote by adamk991100
I'm not in college, but i'd imagine the parties like the ones I just downloaded...

Quote by Weaponized

tell him you wanna give the other guy a shot just to see if you all like him. dont tell him he wont be singer right away just tell him the band wants to see how the other guy does with singing. if it works out then tell him
Yeah dont come right out and say "We're replacing you!" Have your freind sing for the band that way if the band likes him you'll have people to tell this to your current singer.
tell him he can be like a second lead guitar, then just don't ley him solo
Congratulations, you have finally reached the bottom rung of the ladder.

... I'm on the 2nd.

IT'S HAMMET TIME!
Quote by heavensassassin
tell him he can be like a second lead guitar, then just don't ley him solo

that's terrible, my intention was to pull an Iron Maiden and have a double lead sort of thing, by alleviating him of his singing duties he could play harder guitar parts
Quote by adamk991100

Quote by Weaponized

Go on for a few weeks about how awesome this singer is, then go "Guess what, they want to join our band!"
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
man up, come out straight w/ it. it's not like you guys are kicking him out of the band and if you guys really are close friends, beating around the bush and hinting at it will make him feel as if you guys are patronizing him. so just call a band meeting and tell him straight up, it'll make things much less awkward in the long run
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
if the other guy is good... have your band.. minus the other guy.. get together, play some songs... and if it flows easier and he wants to play with you guys... then go for it.. if the first dude cant sing.. then hes slowing you guys down when you have a potentially better singer that could be at your disposal..
why dont you have two singers? get the guy who sux to do back up but still give him the title as lead singer....
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
Come'on guys, some of those are really bad suggestions for this situation. As someone said before, if you're as good of friends as you say, that should make being up front with him easier. I'd tell him you wanna try out this other guy at lead vocals just to see how he sounds. Next jam session have him come and show you what he can do, and if he blows your friend out of the water, hopefully your friend is a good enough musician to realize that and step aside. Besides, there's no reason why he can't continue writing songs, he may just have a secondary role when it comes to singing them.

This is all under the assumption that your friend isn't an arrogant or stubborn twat...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 18, 2008,
Well, a good way to expand a band is to introduce harmonies. Now if you're rhythm player is the only singer in the band, that's gonna be a problem, but if you add a singer and put your rhythm player on backing vocals, that could work.
Also, it means that your rhythm player can concentrate more on guitar. It doesn't matter who you are, when you do two things at the same time (singing/playing) you cannot do either of them to the same standard as you could if you were just doing one thing at once.
Not that I'm saying your rhythm player needs to concentrate on what he's doing or anything, I've never even heard the guy, but in general, this would also be an improvement to the band
So, there are two good reasons for at least trying out this singer that you can give to your rhythm player.
But of course, it's up to you to initialy broach the subject with him, that's something we really can't help you with because we don't know the guy, but at least you're not asking him to leave or anything, he'll still be an integral and important part of the band and that is what you need to get across an ensure he understands.

When you do bring up the subject, do it in front of the entire band, don't talk to the band first then tell him because he'll just feel like you're all plotting behind his back.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 18, 2008,
you could have them both as singers?

btw, sounds like you need to keep him if he's your 'chief' song-writer.
He's obviously commited, whereas is this other guy?
Tell him about the musicians who only sing backing vocals or not at all but who write the lyrics. Pete Townsend is the key example that I can think of, but I'm sure there's lots.

And discuss what you think the band could do with being done better...be nice, but suggest a better singer would help.