Firstly I've been playing only for around 3 months now so I don't know much about it. I really like to play the rain song but cant seem to be able to get the tuning right. Just when I'm about to get there I break either an E or G string. I've been doing that for about two days now so I'm really stumped.
Are they break at the same spot? Small burrs on the nut, tuning peg or bridge saddle could be causing it.
They always break right near the tuning peg. And what exactly do you mean by burrs??
Burrs are little impreffections that are sharp enough to break a string. Feel around the spot that they are breaking most and if you feel a little snag, that could be the culprit. Try lightly sanding it down.

Or since you don't have much experience with your guitar you may want to search for some vids on how to restring a guitar. Just to make sure your doing it right. If it's breaking there then there is also the possiblity that you are over bending the string and causing it to break. I think you're not suppossed to crease the string more than 90 degrees.
you could take it to a guitar tech.

I think their may be sharp parts on it causing that and you'd have to file it down.

If its done right, your strings will almost never break.
Quote by Bertallica
Burrs are little impreffections that are sharp enough to break a string. Feel around the spot that they are breaking most and if you feel a little snag, that could be the culprit. Try lightly sanding it down.

Or since you don't have much experience with your guitar you may want to search for some vids on how to restring a guitar. Just to make sure your doing it right. If it's breaking there then there is also the possiblity that you are over bending the string and causing it to break. I think you're not suppossed to crease the string more than 90 degrees.

i crease my strings more than 90 degrees every time i string up a guitar.

Idk who told you that, but I probly havn't broken a string in about a year with everyday playing, including heavy whammy use. (and 5 years experience playing guitar)
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
i crease my strings more than 90 degrees every time i string up a guitar.

Idk who told you that, but I probly havn't broken a string in about a year with everyday playing, including heavy whammy use. (and 5 years experience playing guitar)

Can't remember were I heard that, but I string my guitars without directly bending or creasing the string.

I wrap the string a few times around the tuning post and then run the end trough the hole and put it tight with a pair of pliers. That has worked for me, keeps it in tune really good after the strings settle from a few pulls and looks really clean if you do it right.
I've currently got electric strings on my acoustic. Heh. I had a set of D'Addario ribbon wound Chromes lying around, and they were .13 - .56, but the tension was a lot to slightly less. Everything from the 5th string up is fine. I replaced the 6th with a spare acoustic one I had.

Now I can do plenty of weird tunings with no snappage, I guess, plus they sound surprisingly good. All my friends doubted the strings, but now they know otherwise. Heh. I guess as a last last last last last last resort you could try that.
Hey thanks for all the replies. I think it must be one of those "burrs" or whatever then, because my acoustics kind of cheap and old.

Quote by Chrois
I've currently got electric strings on my acoustic. Heh. I had a set of D'Addario ribbon wound Chromes lying around, and they were .13 - .56, but the tension was a lot to slightly less. Everything from the 5th string up is fine. I replaced the 6th with a spare acoustic one I had.

Now I can do plenty of weird tunings with no snappage, I guess, plus they sound surprisingly good. All my friends doubted the strings, but now they know otherwise. Heh. I guess as a last last last last last last resort you could try that.

But electric strings is not a bad idea either lol. Though I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get laughed at that for suggesting it
I wrap the string a few times around the tuning post and then run the end trough the hole and put it tight with a pair of pliers. That has worked for me, QUOTE]

Then you are getting really lucky is all. That's pretty much backwards to how you should be winding up the strings on the tuners. You should be placing the string through the hole FIRST, then start winding up the string onto the tuner by turning the knob. You leave some slack along the long part of the string so you have enough to make the proper amount of wraps. Thus the reason they make string winders. And the first wrap should go over the top of the string that comes out of the hole, and then when it comes around again, there should be 2 or 3 wraps below the hole.