And used superglue to glue fake nails to my fingerpicking hand. I decided that finger picks are way too bulky to be effective and that natural nails aren't strong enough. So on an impulse, I went out to Walmart at 2 am and bought some fake nails and went at it. I cut them down pretty short just so that they're JUST barely visible when you look straight on at your finger from a palm view. They feel really strong too, and the nails are as smooth as a pick so no grinding. Has anyone else tried this? The tne quality with these nails is amazing!
This is quite possibly one of the best ideas I have ever heard.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
i bet your new nails would look cute with a pretty new dress!

but seriously, thats a great idea. Well done.
excuse me sir but do those nails come in hetero?
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't like you ACFCPatrick. Your views differ from mine.
Antoine Dufour does that: he glues them on halfway on the nail so that he knows new healthy nail is coming in or something. And Don Ross uses cut up ping pong balls hahaha.

Good work, though. I'd like to as well but mum won't let me, so I'm stuck with my crappily soft grown out nails.
There's this super-value fake nail pack at walmart and they're just plain white, and you get a ****-ton of a ton of different sizes. No one even notices them.
I used to fingerpick with the skin before growing my nails out, but it doesn't sound as crisp and loud. Nails really add beef, which you'll need especially if you have a thumb pick on or something that'll produce a really unbalanced sound.

So use nails. Like a man. A girly man.
Quote by ChordMonger
or you could just fingerpick with the skin on your fingers...
like a man....

You guys don't get it. Real men use nails. Long ones too. For classical guitar, nails are a must for good tone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Actually, I'm currently studying Antoine Dufour. I got the idea from him for the fake nails. I don't like the really creepy long nails because they kept on getting caught against my strings, slowing my picking speed, so I made them just long enough so that when I would pick with a finger that the fake nail would graze against the string, giving it a better tone quality. And yes, real men use nails. Besides, I'm not girly. How many girly men do you know that can deadlift over 600 lbs? None, that's how many.

And actually, the skin under the outside of my thumbnail on the outside of my hand is so thick that it can actually sound like a nail. That's how much I fingerpick! haha

Btw Captivate, I've already learned half of "Ashes in the Sea" by Antoine Dufour and half of "Spiritual Groove"! They are extremely fun to play.
Nice work, drummerofgod. Dufour's my favourite artist. I've got quite a few of his songs under my belt and performed them at school and stuff as well. Also planning to cover Spritual Groove at some kind of performance night this year. I think I'm just waiting for my violinist to learn her part a bit better hehe.

Damn straight they're fun to play. To me, electric just pales in comparison now.
Yeah I'm just starting with his easier songs like those two so that I don't overload myself. These two songs just look hard, but they're actually somewhat easy... relative to his other songs! haha
Nice stuff! I'm honestly too lazy to learn songs =/ I wish I werent, but ohh well. haha
Equipment:

if i did something like this i would be made fun of by coworkers, family and friends to the point that i would have no choice but to take them off.
Quote by solidsnake15
if i did something like this i would be made fun of by coworkers, family and friends to the point that i would have no choice but to take them off.

No one even notices until I tell them. It's almost the color of my nail anyway and a little longer. And MUCH MUCH stronger. It feels as strong as a Dunlop thumb pick, which I had conveniently bought even before I knew of Antoine. A lot of his songs aren't that difficult if you're at least a true intermediate player. Though if you consider yourself an intermediate player and you almost always use a pick, forget it! haha.

Though I have to fix one thing about the nails. There's this little piece of plastic on the back of the nail where my cuticle starts and if my fingernail gets all the way past two strings, it can catch on the string and when I pull up, it makes this toe-curling string noise. I am not joking, I literally twitch for about 2 seconds like I have an actual twitch problem the noise is that bad. So I'm gonna take a nail file and smooth that part out.

But other than that, the nails are actually short enough that they don't even hit the keys when I'm typing. There short enough where I forget about them when going about my daily routine, but still long enough to work for guitar. Guys and gals, keep on using that thumb because eventually the skin on the end of the thumb where it picks will become really hard. Mine is has hard as the skin on the tips of my fretting fingers.

I often find myself rolling my shoulders like I'm in a groove whenever I play Ashes in the Sea. I just can't help it!
John Butler does it too.

Quote by JBT site
Why does John have long nails on one hand?

Johns right hand has extended nails cut too a point which out of context can look a bit strange. The reason for this is because of his unique picking style on the guitar. Rather than using a guitar pick he uses each of his fingers to pick the strings when he plays which can result in a more complex and faster style. John uses synthetic nails and also a strong nail hardener to build up and keep the nails on that hand hard enough to be able make a clean picking sound that simulates folk finger picks that other artists will wear on each finger to produce a similar picking style. It’s a lot of work to keep them in a usable condition plus living with them all the time. Its not a recommended thing to do to your nails and won’t help your playing style, John’s hand is unique as with the way he plays his guitar so it suits him to play like that, he will be the first to tell you his technique isn't very correct!
Johns right hand has extended nails cut too a point which out of context can look a bit strange. The reason for this is because of his unique picking style on the guitar. Rather than using a guitar pick he uses each of his fingers to pick the strings when he plays which can result in a more complex and faster style.

He uses his fingers and nails instead of a pick to play the guitar?! What a unique method that is!

Man, some "virtuoso" guitarists really piss me off

In other news, threadstarter, that's actually a very common practice amongst fingerstyle players lol... and has been for many years. A LOT of fingerpicking artists get acrylic nails professionally put on, and in fact I have done the same once when I didn't feel like waiting for my thumb nail to grow back.

Pretty much anyone who doesn't trust the quality of their own nails employs this method.

I often find myself rolling my shoulders like I'm in a groove whenever I play Ashes in the Sea. I just can't help it!

I always get really animated when playing pieces, and during the outro of Into Your Heart, I can't be stopped! I also bob my head a LOT to Spatter The Dew haha
My God, it's full of stars!
After a lot of guitaring last night and tonight, my fingernails have been shaved off at an angle . Dang. Maybe I should invest in some of those fake nails.

I'm also learning Ashes now, too. Grraghhhh eargasmic!
Alright cool, well, there seems to be a large amount of fingerstylers out there, so... I think I'm gonna go ahead and create a little club
Quote by Dreadnought
He uses his fingers and nails instead of a pick to play the guitar?! What a unique method that is!

Just crap writing by the person who wrote it for the site. Someone who obviously doesn't play guitar
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Just crap writing by the person who wrote it for the site. Someone who obviously doesn't play guitar

Definitely haha, that little extract reaks of lack of knowledge
Quote by Chrois
After a lot of guitaring last night and tonight, my fingernails have been shaved off at an angle . Dang. Maybe I should invest in some of those fake nails.

I'm also learning Ashes now, too. Grraghhhh eargasmic!

I love the part where you have to do the hammer-on the 6th string, then pull off to a 5th fret natural harmonic with the fretting hand. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen that from anyone else but Antoine. The technique is actually a lot easier than it looks. The song isn't even that hard, it just requires a lot of precision and not dampening notes. It's the ringing of all the strings that makes it sound great.
Quote by Chrois
Nice work, drummerofgod. Dufour's my favourite artist. I've got quite a few of his songs under my belt and performed them at school and stuff as well. Also planning to cover Spritual Groove at some kind of performance night this year. I think I'm just waiting for my violinist to learn her part a bit better hehe.

Damn straight they're fun to play. To me, electric just pales in comparison now.

Please dont' ruin that song with a violin! Violin is a beautiful instrument, but not in that song.

And btw, extended nails is not a must. Just look at Tommy Emmanuel, the greatest guitarist in modern time He doesn't use extended one's.
Antoine actually had his good friend and fiddle player Tommy Gautier play in the original album version of Spiritual Groove. It sounds magnificent.

The 6th string hammer on pull off to 5th fret natural harmonic part is awesome. It also occurs in Spiritual Groove in the breakdown version of the intro. It's super fun. I just finished learning "Mother" last night, and got Ashes, Spiritual Groove, Drac and friends 1, and some others down at the moment right now. Great stuff!
I dont know about you, but I actually like Spiritual Groove with violin more than without.
Equipment:

meh, I just super glued silk to my regular nails and gave them several coats of clear polish.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by EddieRhoads
I would do it if I didnt play more than fingerpicking/classical.

No one will even notice them. I don't see how I lived without them. They changed my life. True story.
Meh, I probably like "The original" Spiriutal Groove more since i learned it all for an audition t a music school ^^
great idea
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P
Quote by drummerofgod89
If you don't mind me asking, what school?

A Music school in Sweden, you'll probably don't know about it if you're not living here :P
After a long time of delaying it, I did the same thing as TS and glued acrylics to my fingerpicking hand (only index, middle and fourth though because I don't generally use the pinky unless i have to).