So Im in college for recording arts, and I'm about to build my room into a studio.
Im curious what some of you know about equipment, and getting a good deal for a good product thats gonna last, and ideas for a good setup.

i'm going to record mostly rock and metal, but also funk, electronic, hip hop, and whatever else I feel like.

So far I have:
15 inch macbook pro
logic Studio
final cut pro 2
pro tools LE from 2004
Bluebird condenser mic
oxygen 8
Guitar Rig 1
vox ac30
and a keyboard
and a couple pair of good headphones

I need to pick out or im considering a good:
electronic drum kit
pre-amp or audio interface
consider Komplete
mixer
studio monitors
sound dampening so I dont wake the dead girl upstairs
Tascam fire one firewire audio interface or presonus firewireStudio or something else?

Anyone cool enough to read all that and give me share some useful advice is a very cool person indeed.

ps obviously I'm being careful about money but I'm also getting good deals through my school, so I can invest in a studio thats going to last, just not balls up gonzo
If I were you, I'd invest in a good audio interface, otherwise your guitar work is going to have to either plug into your mic input on your computer through a cable with a 1/4 in jack on one end and an 1/8 inch on the other, or hook up your condenser mic to an amp and plug it in through there, which allowed you to only record one instrument at a time (a personal hate of mine).

If you're happy with that though, then I'd go for either the electronic drum kit (if you can afford a good one, otherwise don't...) or the sound dampening (although if you don't have the stdio monitors, maybe you wouldn't have all that much sound to dampen?)

Studio monitors and the sound dampening would be a good pair of things to get, if you really need them, but I would personally go for the interface. I myself have a Line 6 Toneport or something... It's good, has built in effects and all... but judging by the amount of software you have, you might not need anything else boosting your library of effects...

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
i will have studio monitors definately, so sound dampening is something thats gonna happen too.
So is an audio interface
the question remains, where do I begin?
I know I want a firewire interface, but I'm not sure what kind to get, or what kind of monitors, im thinking something 80-20k would be fine
You're going to use any old keyboard? That'll be a prooblem for a lot of electronic music...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Pop filter for vocals

Quote by Cryptorchild
Good job on the Mac, PCs suck at recording.

Oooh, propaganda.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You should see my home-studio.

If any professionals came to my house, they would probably torch themselves. But, I can get a better sound out of my bedroom than out of a fully equipped studio, so I guess it's what you're comfortable with, not what you can afford.

Quote by Cryptorchild

Bullwank.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Cryptorchild

Hardly, yet another myth.

I've got an old box running TinyXP with an M-Audio delta soundcard.. i can plug my guitar amp straight in to it and start recording/applying effects in Ableton and hearing it live. There's all the ASIO set up and stuff but that was a point and click affair.

Anyway I'm sure there are more experienced people on here to help out but I'll keep an eye on this topic since I'm doing the same thing at uni this year (the studio thing, not the course.)
Quote by Cryptorchild

blah blah blah stfu
My Spanish Hearts
TS, what's your budget? Without knowing this I can say this:

- I recommend this interface: http://www.music123.com/MOTU-828mkII-FireWire-Audio-Interface-240115-i1125810.Music123

- You don't really need a electronic drum kit. Look for a good drum VST. Things such as BFD2 , EZdrummer , or Superior Drummer 2.0 are a good place to start.

- Studio monitors, either Mackie or Yamaha would do.

- Upgrade to either a SM57 or 58, optimally both.
Quote by FLUX_

- I recommend this interface: http://www.music123.com/MOTU-828mkI...125810.Music123

- You don't really need a electronic drum kit. Look for a good drum VST. Things such as BFD2 , EZdrummer , or Superior Drummer 2.0 are a good place to start.

And as for the SM57/58? Did you even read what kind of mic he has now? It would be good to have SM57's for micing amps or drums, but since he's getting an electronic drum kit, he might as well save his money and DI the amps. And as good as the 58's sound live, he's much better off recording vocals through the mic he has now.

Either way, it wouldnt be an upgrade if he bought an SM57 or 58

For an interface, it all really depends on weather you want to use Logic or PT. If you want to use PT you have to get a digidesign interface. I wouldnt recomend it though because the version you have is from 04.

With Logic, you can use most interfaces. I'd recommend the PreSonus Firestudio since it has the 8 inputs, is really easy to use, and gets great sounding results. Another benifit to using Logic over PT is that Logic uses AU or VST plug ins, which can be found free all over the place, where as PT uses RTAS plugins, and the are expensive.

For a mixer, depending on how much you have and how big a mixer you want, Mackie has some pretty affordable smaller mixers that sound pretty good.

About the electric drum set, I know nothing about drums. However, my drummer friend, who does know alot about drums (I think....He could be making it all up though) got this one when he went to college.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-9S-V-Tour-Electronic-Drum-Set-491358-i1395447.gc

Studio monitor are actually a lot more important than most people realize. If you have crappy monitors, you'll mix things to sound good through them, causing the mix to sound bad in everyone else's speakers, headphones, ect. when you release your work to the world.

These are probably the best, low priced monitors.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-PM-1-MKII-Active-Nearfield-Studio-Monitors---Pair-600685-i1152861.gc

I cant remember what else you asked. I'll edit this after i go back and look.
Last edited by voodoochilli499 at Jul 18, 2008,
yeah flux, but you cant PLAY a VST plugin
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by Xiaoxi
Pop filter for vocals

Oooh, propaganda.

my blubird came with a pop filter :-)
Quote by fortysix&2
You're going to use any old keyboard? That'll be a prooblem for a lot of electronic music...

yea its a radio shack keyboard, its pretty cool. Why, do you think it's really worth buying a new one? I'm pretty intimidated when i look at those, I don't know what to look for.
Quote by vanitybinge
yea its a radio shack keyboard, its pretty cool. Why, do you think it's really worth buying a new one? I'm pretty intimidated when i look at those, I don't know what to look for.

It depends on what kind of electronic music you might want to make. Most people want good sensitivity, a pitchwheel and all sorts of other crazy gadgets.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by rabidguitarist
You should see my home-studio.

If any professionals came to my house, they would probably torch themselves. But, I can get a better sound out of my bedroom than out of a fully equipped studio, so I guess it's what you're comfortable with, not what you can afford.

Bullwank.

Id like to know more, basically its gonna be my bedroom and my roommate is gonna have stuff going on too, so we're both looking at options, combining, ect

so what do you got going on?
Quote by FLUX_

- I recommend this interface: http://www.music123.com/MOTU-828mkII-FireWire-Audio-Interface-240115-i1125810.Music123

my first instrument was drums so I love sitting at them and just zoning out, coming up with wacky rythyms. That's why I want a set, not just a drum machine. If I didn't have to worry about the girl upstairs I'd get a real kit. Maybe when I soundproof the bedroom.

So I know I might not need an electronic drum kit to make beats, I get a lot more clever on the throne then on a pad.

I do appreciate the tip tho!
Quote by voodoochilli499
And as for the SM57/58? Did you even read what kind of mic he has now? It would be good to have SM57's for micing amps or drums, but since he's getting an electronic drum kit, he might as well save his money and DI the amps. And as good as the 58's sound live, he's much better off recording vocals through the mic he has now.

Either way, it wouldnt be an upgrade if he bought an SM57 or 58

For an interface, it all really depends on weather you want to use Logic or PT. If you want to use PT you have to get a digidesign interface. I wouldnt recomend it though because the version you have is from 04.

With Logic, you can use most interfaces. I'd recommend the PreSonus Firestudio since it has the 8 inputs, is really easy to use, and gets great sounding results. Another benifit to using Logic over PT is that Logic uses AU or VST plug ins, which can be found free all over the place, where as PT uses RTAS plugins, and the are expensive.

For a mixer, depending on how much you have and how big a mixer you want, Mackie has some pretty affordable smaller mixers that sound pretty good.

About the electric drum set, I know nothing about drums. However, my drummer friend, who does know alot about drums (I think....He could be making it all up though) got this one when he went to college.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-9S-V-Tour-Electronic-Drum-Set-491358-i1395447.gc

Studio monitor are actually a lot more important than most people realize. If you have crappy monitors, you'll mix things to sound good through them, causing the mix to sound bad in everyone else's speakers, headphones, ect. when you release your work to the world.

These are probably the best, low priced monitors.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-PM-1-MKII-Active-Nearfield-Studio-Monitors---Pair-600685-i1152861.gc

I cant remember what else you asked. I'll edit this after i go back and look.

damn for the price of that electronic drum kit i probably could sound PROOF my bedroom and get a real kit...

Studio monitors are the first thing on my list, and you're totally right voodoochill.
So far Ive been recomended to the Fostex, Mackie, and Yamaha, so I'll start comparing.

second is the audio interface, preferably firewire; my friend has a second one in his closet where the mic is, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.
So yall have led me to the MOTU 828mkII FireWire Audio Interface at 750 bucks, and the Presonus Firestudio I was looking at earlier.

As for a mixer, my friends at school say to wait on a mixer until I'm totally sure it's time for one and know what kind I need. It needs to be versatile for whatever program I'm using, because at this school I'll be learning Logic AND Pro tools, and probably Cubase as well as midi.
So it's gotta be a versatile DAW board as well as one I can plug in live instruments.

so far you guys have been great so thanks, I've def got a bit of research lined up for the day.

monitors, interface, soundproofing....i wonder how much more that is then dampening.
Quote by vanitybinge
Id like to know more, basically its gonna be my bedroom and my roommate is gonna have stuff going on too, so we're both looking at options, combining, ect

so what do you got going on?

I do everything with a Toshiba Equium laptop. I record on Sony Acid Pro 6.

All electric instruments are directly injected through a digitech pedal, which I use as a DI box. (to set the level, and as a noise gate.) Instruments which are electric guitars, YAMAHA synth and stage piano, electric violin and basses.

I use dynamic microphones to record vocals and acoustic violins, guitars, etc. This is far from ideal, when I have some money I'm going to be a condenser.

The majority of my music is synthesised though, which is why the quality of my recording equipment doesn't really matter. Plus, it's usually loud enough to drown out the mic hum.

Have a listen to my MP3s, if you want an idea of the quality I can get. It's far from perfect, but it's not bad for a very low budget bedroom studio.

I can do photos tonight, if you want.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
even if youre going to get an electronic drum kit, i would invest in some quality drum mics, and other condensers too. if it comes to recording other people than yourself then i cant imagine every artist wants to use electronic kits when they have their own.

for keyboards you could look at Roland's v-synth range, expensive but very much worth it. ive used a lot of that stuff and its hard finding anything exceptionally better.
whats so awesome about the Rolands? I don't know much about keyboards. I have one, and I know how to play it, but I don't know much about all them newfangled fancy dances.
Its usually guitar I play at the shop.

anyway, today I looked in this pawn shop at some equipment they had, and I got a 20 inch apple monitor for 400 bucks, pretty sweet.

There was also a bit of equip I thought Id run by you all, and see if any of it is a worh considering:
first, a pair of M-Audio Bx5a studio monitors for $199 or less
a 32 channel 8 bus Behringer PA mixer Eurodesk MX 3282A S for $549 or less with built in mic
a Peaver kb300 keyboard amplifier for $169 or less

My friend has the M-Audios and says I'd be getting them for half the price, and that they're very good monitors.
Whaddya all knowz?
OK I got a pair of M-Audio BX5a's for 200 bucks, and a really nice Jackson bass for 250. I also got some Horizon 1/4"-XLR's, and ran them into my M-Box, which is a really versatile interface.
So far tho, the audio will only come out of one speaker.
I'm working on getting my pro tools plug ins and updates since I have the old LE version, so that the mbox will be able to work with the monitors...this is where it gets hairy!

There's a whole forum just for pro tools, and I joined that one to get this straight.
I can't wait to get everything working!

I need something to make more USB ports...
I can't help you with much but for the Electric Drum set my church uses the Roland V-drums and they sound pretty autentic to me especially through headphones so they'll probably be great for recording.
Upgrade your GuitarRig for the best sounds, and maybe even consider buying something small for effects like a rack processor - I'd go 2nd hand to get cheap deals.
Also, alot of pro studios sell their old gear cheap as when they refurbish...another potential catch!
Quote by PabloGilberto
Upgrade your GuitarRig for the best sounds, and maybe even consider buying something small for effects like a rack processor - I'd go 2nd hand to get cheap deals.
Also, alot of pro studios sell their old gear cheap as when they refurbish...another potential catch!

thats a really good idea

i wonder if theres an online resource for studios looking to sell off older equipment?
ill have a look around the net and let you know if i find anything.