So I play an electirc guitar (duh) and I was wondering how I could set up my amp to sound like a bass guitar? I have a Marshall amp with settings for

Clean
Volume
Contour

Overdrive/Distortion
Gain
Volume
Contour

I also have a Crybaby Wah Wah pedal if that can do anything. Greatly Appreciated!!
well the only way to get your amp to sound like a bass guitar is to plug a bass guitar into your amp.
Buy a bass guitar.

There's nothing can do with your current rig, I think that's why they invented bas guitars in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
some MFX pedal units have bass modelers, where you can turn your guitars sound into a bass.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
get a whammy pedal and set it to 1 octave down? Or you could just get a bass.
Nikki Sixx used an electric as a bass when he first started out.

<flame shield>

What Marshall is this?

you feasibly could drop tune it, get heavier strings, turn down the treb, etc. I sometimes pracitce some quick bass riffs on my Strat but I would NOT consider any of this a long term solution. What are you trying to do really?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nikki Sixx used an electric as a bass when he first started out.

<flame shield>

What Marshall is this?

you feasibly could drop tune it, get heavier strings, turn down the treb, etc. I sometimes pracitce some quick bass riffs on my Strat but I would NOT consider any of this a long term solution. What are you trying to do really?

i assume it's an MG, cause of the contour knob. but maybe im wrong.
Quote by leviticus_22953
i assume it's an MG, cause of the contour knob. but maybe im wrong.

Agreed. I just didn't want to get into the MG bashing thing by telling the guy to set his volume at 0. I decided to try to help instead.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Agreed. I just didn't want to get into the MG bashing thing by telling the guy to set his volume at 0. I decided to try to help instead.

TS, probably, you can set the tone knob of your guitar to 0, with the neck pickup selected. on your amp, bass=10, mid=10, treble=0. wont sound like a true bass but you'll get bassier sounds. thats what i can think of.
Tune it really really low, like A. And then turn the contour down and maybe the tone knob on your guitar.
Quote by CoreysMonster
well the only way to get your amp to sound like a bass guitar is to plug a bass guitar into your amp.

but dont do that cause youll blow the amp.

you can put guitars into bass amps but not the other way around.

but to TS, put your guitar on the neck pickup, roll the tone down, raise both the bass and middle, lower the treble. (this makes it sound bassy, but not like a bass guitar)

or, get thincker strings, drop your tuning.
or a whammy pedal.
Quote by ginjaninja
but dont do that cause youll blow the amp.

you can put guitars into bass amps but not the other way around.

but to TS, put your guitar on the neck pickup, roll the tone down, raise both the bass and middle, lower the treble. (this makes it sound bassy, but not like a bass guitar)

or, get thincker strings, drop your tuning.
or a whammy pedal.

Only if you use it for a while.

Your best bet is just to get a cheap bass starter pack.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Thanks guys this is helpful! And what Im trying to do is saturday night my bassist isn't going to be able to make it for a gig were going to so there are a few songs (another one bites the dust, NIB) that we need bass for iand i need to fill in so its jsut for one night.
you should record it so we can see how it turns out.

I could understand trying to make a reg guitar sound like a bass guitar for bedroom practice and fiddling around, but for a gig? I can only see that turning out really ugly, but either way, i hope it goes well.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Are you trying to hit the lower octave or just get a bassier tone? If you want to hit the octave then you'll need a Digitech Whammy or EHX POG or Micro POG.
Yeha the results for this are going to end very badly! But im not tyring to go for a perfect Bass sound just a deeper more dull guitar not so sharp and electric sounding and buying new effects pedals are out of the question at the moment (broke as hell) so Im just going to fiddle around with detuning and the such to see if I can get it right before the show Thanks for all your help guys any further advice will still be helpful!
hi i'm playing e-guitar for about 3 weeks and now i bought the mg 15 dfx from marshall and i was asking myself how to get the settings that it sounds like billy talent could u help me plz?
clean:
volume 1-10

overdrive:
gain 1-10
volume 1-10

eq:
bass 1-10
contour 1-10
treble 1-10

digital fx
reverb 1-10
delay 1-10
chr (?) 1-10
flg (?) 1-10
Last edited by ian706123 at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by ian706123
hi i'm playing e-guitar for about 3 weeks and now i bought the mg 15 dfx from marshall and i was asking myself how to get the settings that it sounds like billy talent could u help me plz?

You really need to start your own Thread as to not 'threadjack' this one.

you may also want to use a MG flame shield like this:
<MG flame shield>

good luck