What are the ups and downs of each of them? I want a good amount of metal tones from slayer, to shred (yngwie, steve vai, paul gilbert).
Thanks
ummm..what amp do you have? whats your guitar?
the super distortion can go for metal, definitely. more of 80s metal tones, imo. has good cleans when split.
i dont have much experience with evolutions though.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by rocktag
What are the ups and downs of each of them? I want a good amount of metal tones from slayer, to shred (yngwie, steve vai, paul gilbert).
Thanks

They're two completely different pickups.

If you're looking to upgrade then you don't just pick a couple of random models just because you like the name.

Answer these questions..
What guitar do you have?
What amp do you have?
What is it about the tone you currently have that you don't like?
What kind of tonal characteristics are you looking for from your new pickups?

Currently we have no idea why you want to change pickups, depending on what the issue is a pickup change might not even be the best way to solve matters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
May I recommend the Super 3 over the super distortion in your case of metal tones?
The super distortion does metal like it should but it's a very middy pickup with a lot of highs so if your were looking into scooping the super 3 has even more mids to balance things out and a tad less highs to compensate. But, they're both great pickups, hope you make the right choice.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by rocktag
Thanks

to be honest if you want a slayer tone i wouldnt go near dimarzio. fair enough for vai and gilbert, but if you want a good metal tone id go for seymour duncan or possibly passive EMGs. bare knuckle pickups are also very good for metal styles.

personally i would recommend seymour duncan full shred humbuckers. i have one in the bridge of my ibanez and it sounds great for everything.
Quote by BullonParade
to be honest if you want a slayer tone i wouldnt go near dimarzio. fair enough for vai and gilbert, but if you want a good metal tone id go for seymour duncan or possibly passive EMGs. bare knuckle pickups are also very good for metal styles.

personally i would recommend seymour duncan full shred humbuckers. i have one in the bridge of my ibanez and it sounds great for everything.

Your amp and playing has more to do with the tone than the pickups. the pickups simply help a bit. You could easily use a Super D or any other pickups for Slayer. Now something like an Evo may make it a bit harder due to the EQ of the pickup, but it could still be used.

I think a good median pickup for the TS would be a DiMarzio ToneZone; very versatile, sounds good split, and is fairly balanced EQ wise with nice, smooth highs, good, tight bass response, while retaining mids so it doesn't sound so scooped. The Super 3 or Duncan JB are good pickups, but I think they may have a bit too much presence, though they would be good for shred styles.
if your wanting to play slayer go emg's. they make a kerry king signature set.

comparing those two pickups is like comparing mustard to mayo. yes they are condiments but they taste different.

personally go dimarzio d-activators.