I have recently been recording using the "Line In" on the back of my computer, and using the "Line Out" on my ME-50. I use that to record directly to Audacity, because I'm cheap like that. However, I notice that the tone is kind of... compressed sounding. It just doesn't sound as good as I think it would if I had some sort of direct input box to simulate a speaker or something.

What are some products that I should look at for direct input? I don't plan on using it for a mixer or anything, just my PC so I can do some simple recording to some backing tracks. I'm thinking I want to spend no more than $100. It doesn't need to have a bunch of bells and whistles. I just want something that will allow me to plug directly to PC without losing so much tone. That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Just buy an amp mic or something. They're fairly cheap, and if you get it set up properly you shouldn't lose any tone.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
You'd just need some kind of USB interface so you could bypass your stock sound card.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Jesstaa
Just buy an amp mic or something. They're fairly cheap, and if you get it set up properly you shouldn't lose any tone.

I know what you're trying to get at, and that wouldn't be a problem. But part of the reason I don't want to just mic my amp is because I wouldn't be able to record as easily. It is much easier to just plug my ME-50 into the computer, because it's quieter and it won't pick up any background noise. And it also allows me to record at night, among other things.

I'll check into some USB adaptors. I saw some at Target the other day, but I'm skeptical about their quality...
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
ME-50 doesn't have it's own software, it's just an effects processor. I don't know about the bypass... I could check the manual, but I don't have it with me at the moment.

And if I knew anything about building a circuit or whatever, I might give it a try. Hell, I think I will just for fun. I know nothing about electronics. But in the mean time, that's about all I can give.

I'm not going to be on UG for the next few days, so I hope the info I provided will be enough to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Line 6 Toneport GX - $50

Comes with amp modeling/effects software, also.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well, i was going to point out (without bashing your ME) that the Digitech RP line has:

editing software - to edit presets and effects (or manually on pedal of course)
USB
True analog bypass - so you can go strait amp and bypass the pedal.
headphone jack
tuner
Customizable presets - to create your own.
Other new effects that can be downloaded (via USB)

So not that your ME doesn't do some of these things but you MAY want to think about ditching your ME and getting say a Digitech RP250 like mine. $150 new, less used.
I don't want to get rid of my ME. It already does everything I want it to do, and I've used a Digitech MFX before, didn't really like it. If I didn't already have the Boss unit, then I would consider it, but it would probably be a lot easier to just get the Toneport. It looks like a good interface, and exactly what I need. Does anybody have experience with it, and would I be able to use it to record to Audacity? Are there other products I should consider?
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Yeah, the toneport is great. I do all of my recordings with it. There's one on my profile if you want an example.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.