I have some broadway production music. It is normal up to bar 90, but then it has 91A, 91B, 91C all the way up to K, then goes back to normal bars...what is this about?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Jul 18, 2008,
Might be alternating sections, but if it goes up to K that's really odd. Is it just 91 that has letters or is it something like 91-94?
Also are there any double bar lines?
Sounds like they turned those bars into flats...

baddum tish, I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Lots of Musical music is messed up like that. I've played in a few pits and a lot of times when the bars are lettered like you're saying, it indicates that there's dialogue in the play that doesn't always have a consistent amount of beats. So those measures are put there for an optional vamp while the dialogue is said, but not necessarily all of those measures will be played. You'll probably end up skipping a few.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by SaxMachine124
Lots of Musical music is messed up like that. I've played in a few pits and a lot of times when the bars are lettered like you're saying, it indicates that there's dialogue in the play that doesn't always have a consistent amount of beats. So those measures are put there for an optional vamp while the dialogue is said, but not necessarily all of those measures will be played. You'll probably end up skipping a few.

lolwut. Makes sense. Thanks dude.

Picture uploaded anyway in case it's something else...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Martindecorum
oooo thats good work sexmachine makes complete sense lol
I wish I was a sexmachine

My first though was alternate endings. T/S, are there any repeat signs anywhere?

EDIT: I think I get it now. Maybe the transciber forgot to include bars 91a-91k in the original sheetmusic, so another transcriber added those bars but kept the original bar names. Just got that reading whats written underneath the title.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 18, 2008,
It could be that those bars were added later and that it had already been published without that section. It is better to have the consecutive numbering messed up than to change what number refers to what section.

Not music, but on wiring, piping, parts, etc diagrams, consecutive numbering isn't important, if you get rid of a pipe, you never use that number again, if you add a pipe, you use the next number, regardless of where it goes. It simply is too tedious and potentially confusing to try to make the numbers continuous. Probably the same idea.