Most of the time when people talk about agathis made guitars, it sounds like its the worst piece of crap that actually has strings. At the same time LTD is praced alot. But i see a lot of LTD guitars are made of Agathis, how does that turn out? Arent they worth anything, or are they actually playable and nice sounding?
Agathis is better than plywood. It apparently isn't far off basswood.

Playing well is an important feature though. If you are looking at LTDs - Look at some Schecter guitars, they are great and around the same price or cheaper (and basswood or mahogany).
Hehe basswood is another fun thing.... Ibanez uses basswood on alot of their prestige models.
The 400 series and above LTDs are the ones I hear the most praise for, and those are generally mahogany or alder.

Just checked the ESP website, and even the 50series aren't made of agathis, they're basswood. Which ones are agathis?
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by polaroidvision
The 400 series and above LTDs are the ones I hear the most praise for, and those are generally mahogany or alder.

Just checked the ESP website, and even the 50series aren't made of agathis, they're basswood. Which ones are agathis?

they just upgraded all the LTD's so new ones arent made of agathis anymore liek mine
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
they just upgraded all the LTD's so new ones arent made of agathis anymore liek mine

yeah a lot of companys are upgrading their lower end it seems, and even if it is agathis, the higher end agathis ones are maple neck thru so you get a little balance of the typical agathis muddiness

and actually theres a few high end guitars ive seen made of agathis

theres low grade agathis an theres high grade, same thing with every other wood
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30