Having not gigged by myself acoustically yet, me and a friend thought it'd be a good idea to get some practice in at open mic nights, anyone else go to open mic nights? Good atmosphere? Worth doing?
Be prepared for most people in coffee shops not caring and continuing loud conversations while you're trying to play
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
to an extent i might prefer that people aren't just staring at me playing, to begin with atleast anyway!
Quote by shredmeiser101
Be prepared for most people in coffee shops not caring and continuing loud conversations while you're trying to play

This. I've never played at one but I've been to one and people were downright bloody rude...but agreed it's all good experience.
Quote by shredmeiser101

Yeah, this is pretty true. It's always so nice when someone is completely attention rapt, you feel like you're actually worth listening to. Or when they sing along to a cover song, nothing makes me happier. I bought a guy a cup of coffee last night after I finished playing just cause he sang along and was totally interested in the music. They usually clap though. It's not necessarily that they carry on cause they're rude, it's more like background music for them. Remember that they're there to be entertained & have fun & relax.

Also, it depends on if this is an open mic night at a music venue (where people are more receptive to listening) or if it's at a coffeeshop or bar, where people are there about their own business. Either way, it's definitely a good way to get more comfortable playing for crowds/strangers.

I've seen some people that just command attention. This guy was doing Folsom Prison Blues and totally jamming out, dancing and everything. Nobody could take their eyes off him, and my sister was like, "...I don't even remember if he was good. I was way too busy watching him."

I kind of wish I had a bigger stage presence. Notes on this anybody?
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
well just a few words of wisdom for open mic night. tune up off stage and on your own time. pay attention to the person running the mic night they may want you to play another song or worse yet give you the hook. practice warm up whatever outside as to not disturb the other preformers. have fun the most important part. good luck
The best place in my experience to do your first open mics is libraries or bookstores (the barnes & nobles near me has them all the time). Most people there are actually listening and if not they're quiet.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"