I tried them both yesterday and I liked them both, I'm having a hard time deciding which of them I'll buy.

I play thrash metal, early Metallica and Exodus. I am lead guitarist in a band, so I need a good guitar to play solos with. Amp is Randall RG75DG3.

What your opinion?

ESP LTD M-400:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_M-400

Jackson RR3:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR3-Rhoads-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=512230
id say the RR3 partly cos iv got one and they kick arse
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
I would go wth the ESP LTD as it has EMG 81 active pickup set. I think you can get a good lead sound outta that as well as some thrash.
Quote by StevoIRL
Hetfield what a man bit of belly but still what a man

Gear

Gibson Slash Signature LP
B-52 AT-112 60 watt
Digitech Rp90
i'd say the LTD because the jackson has 22 frets and for soloing, 24 frets is a must...
LTD.
Then mod your EMGs with the 18v.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
I'd go for the jackson because of the excellent quality, and PASSIVE pickups. a good trem too, and a killer shape.
Quote by MachinegunKelly
I would go wth the ESP LTD as it has EMG 81 active pickup set. I think you can get a good lead sound outta that as well as some thrash.

You can get a really good lead sound with the JB too.

Go with the guitar that you like the most.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
LTD all the way!
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
id go with the m400, actually both of them are good, i just think that the jackson pros with duncans dont have enough sustain on them, probably a result of the bolt on necks and floyds. however the jackson is probably higher quality. id look at the Gibson Faded V as well, i have one and i play the same stuff as you and it works great. all good guitars.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
ok, so there are alot of things to take into consideration
1. pointynes - the jackson wins this, purley for the fact that if you lose your temper, you can stap someone with it.
2. tone - generally the jackson will give a brighter tone.... or so ive heard
3. feel - well... this ones up to your preferance.
one thing about V guitars in general ESPECIALLY RRs is dont expect not to get dents in it because it is so easy to bump into stuff with the corners of it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Few Q's...

1) How did you get on with the Jackson RR? Did you like sitting with it in classical position?
2) Do you need 24 frets? The RR3 only has 22 frets.
3) Which pickups did you prefer? Do you need versatility?
I own a Jackson RR3 but I'm trying to sell it for an MH-400/1000. If you go with LTD, get the MH! The blue finish is hot.
1) How did you get on with the Jackson RR? Did you like sitting with it in classical position?
- I got into it first by the look, and I like the neck and the Floyd Rose. I had some problems wwith sitting with them first, but I've tried them so much that I'm starting to feel comfortable with it.

2) Do you need 24 frets? The RR3 only has 22 frets.
- Would maybe be useful, have never had 24 before.

3) Which pickups did you prefer? Do you need versatility?
- I don't know much about pickups but I've heard that EMG's is very good, the ESP has.
I'd say go for the Jackson. I have an RR1 Custom and It's got an SH-6 in the bridge, and it sounds way better for lead then the EMG 81. It's clearer, fuller, and really just gives a better tone in my opinion. I find that true with most SD's compared to EMGs. Actives arent always better than passives.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Quote by iTzMaTT
LTD.
Then mod your EMGs with the 18v.

This.

And get this sexy LTD

EDIT: Didn't see you wanted the M-400, thought it just said LTD M.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I'd say go for an RR3. My local shop has one in stock and it's an awesome guitar for the price. And I can back up Jackson's quality because I've owned 3 of them before.
go for the LTD
cuz the jackson is neck heavy
it wont stay in the one place where as the LTD is balanced