Hey, i've been playing alternative rock and funk for a year and I now want to go onto play metal. What techniques, songs, scales, etc... should I learn to play metal? and also how do you write metal songs as mine always come out as alternative rock :S?
Quote by Les Paul Ell
they like you BECAUSE you've got a hot girlfriend. They see you and think, "woah, there must be something special bout him!" and they're gagging for it so they like you too. And it's kinda funny cos you won your current girlfriend over in a raffle.
Start playing some metal songs

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Or, if you're more advanced

Opeth - Wreath
Behemoth - Conquer All

Listen and play some more metal and gradually you'll see the techniques and style needed, minor scales, palm muting, fast power chord changes
def. work on palm muting, tremolo picking, and low tuning lol. ummmmm youre probably already good with chording and all that sooooo...yeah. might have to ply with your amp settings a little, too.

what metal bands do you listen to? no flaming, i promise lol
alternate picking, sweep picking, palm mutes, pich/natural harmonics.
minor scales are useful, they sound kinda sad.
as for songs, anything by metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, judas priest or bach. that sound give you a good founding in playing metal.
edit: ok, sweep picking might be a little bit advanced.
Last edited by higgins666 at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by kaizerkhan13
def. work on palm muting, tremolo picking, and low tuning lol. ummmmm youre probably already good with chording and all that sooooo...yeah. might have to ply with your amp settings a little, too.

what metal bands do you listen to? no flaming, i promise lol

I listen to megadeth, metallica, trivium, bfmv, Iron maiden and black sabbath.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
they like you BECAUSE you've got a hot girlfriend. They see you and think, "woah, there must be something special bout him!" and they're gagging for it so they like you too. And it's kinda funny cos you won your current girlfriend over in a raffle.
Take influences from the older bands, and combine them with influences from the newer ones. Look at how each band sets the mood of the song, solos, ect.

Most metal techniques have been mentioned so far in this thread, its good advice.
Life Sucks, And Then You Die

So make the very best of it

My Last.fm Profile

Please check out my Youtube, and friend me if you like it. I do C4C, and I gladly will crit anything if you ask me.

I <3 My Xiphos
Start with seek and destroy, it's easy and will at least get you in a metal mood :-)
Minor Modes and diminshed scales are important. Along with natural minor of course. Chromatics are also used sometimes, I wouldn't put them into a song other then runs and parts of solos.

Palm muting and open 6th string is something you need to get familiar with. Pinch Harmonics and powerchords are also big components.

Start off with metallica, and move up the list.

For creating your songs, you need to start off with easy stuff. Since it's much harder making a song without one of the main things being diads,triads, and chords you should just start off with powerchords.
The Trooper - Iron Maiden

Also, the phyrgian mode of the major scale suits metal pretty well. Also, +1 to pretty much everything everyone else said
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Aswell looking into all of the things above, learning some metal helps greatly, from your tastes and some simplicity I would suggest...

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
Megadeth - Sweating Bullets
Metallica - Leper Messiah
Metallica - And Justice for All

And of course Iron Maiden - The Trooper its hard to find a maiden song that won't give some headaches lol.

Thatll be a good start for some of your foundations, check our some Iced Earth too, Dantes Inferno and Travel in Stygian.
learn your power chords + palm mutes,

when i first started metal i played metallica, first thing you do is stop listening to your funk or rock and start to listen to metal, the reason you are making rock sounds is because the sound is in your subconsious and you cant get it out, like a nursery rhyme.

good starting poinst:
metallica- master of puppets (awesome song)
+ enter sandman (dont flame me, its a cool song)

Megadeth- Symphony of destruction

Iron Maiden- Number of the best
+ Phantom of the Opera
+ the trooper

they are all in my opinion btw.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
I don't mean to underestimate the TS, but after playing rock and funk for a year I don't think Master of Puppets would be the greatest starting point.

...and why do people mention Metallica songs for beginning metal players? I admit, Post-Black album songs have some easy solos, but AJFA and MoP have some freaking hard solos, and MoP is just hard to keep up with.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017
I don't mean to underestimate the TS, but after playing rock and funk for a year I don't think Master of Puppets would be the greatest starting point.

...and why do people mention Metallica songs for beginning metal players? I admit, Post-Black album songs have some easy solos, but AJFA and MoP have some freaking hard solos, and MoP is just hard to keep up with.

AJFA has a fairly simple kick ass rhythm and a good start for palm muting, i wouldnt suggest MOP for any beginner. Anything post black album altho still rules isnt totally metal, but look at King Nothing anyways.
Quote by Snap017
but AJFA and MoP have some freaking hard solos, and MoP is just hard to keep up with.
Metallica basically invented thrash and the modern metal sound, so learning their rhythm parts is important. The solos aren't nearly as important as the rhythm parts. If you eliminate the solos, songs like "Battery" and "Dyers Eve" aren't easy songs, but they're considerably easier and probably reasonable songs to learn.

Most of Kirk's soloing is just Hendrix and Clapton licks played twice as fast.
lol dyers eve for a beginner, solo or no solo its not happening
It depends on what metal you want to play. If you want to play metalcore listen to stuff like BFMV and other stuff. For sludge/stoner/doom metal listen to stuff like Electric Wizard or Black Sabbath. Basically listen to the style of music that you want to play often and try to figure out why it sounds that way.

Edit: If you have some questions about writing riffs and such you could ask in the Metal Musicians thread in the metal forum, but first read the band sticky at the top just in case.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Metallica basically invented thrash and the modern metal sound

I disagree; I think Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate/King Diamond had the thrash sound before Metallica, Metallica just built on their sounds. The first band to really take thrash to an extreme beyond the standard NWOBHM sound, in my opinion, was Slayer who really took the speed and sound to the next level at around the same time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Metallica may have not, created thrash but they changed thrash as we know it and were the kings of it. Opinions aside, you have to agree.

I also support Banggoodcharlote's post. Solos really aren't important to the TS at the moment. Metal solos are most of the time pretty complicated and very fast.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I disagree; I think Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate/King Diamond had the thrash sound before Metallica, Metallica just built on their sounds. The first band to really take thrash to an extreme beyond the standard NWOBHM sound, in my opinion, was Slayer who really took the speed and sound to the next level at around the same time.

Well Slayer's first albums were death metal. Death metal is influenced by thrash or just lighter metal.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Well Slayer's first albums were death metal. Death metal is influenced by thrash or just lighter metal.

Slayers first albums are pure bay area thrash, they influence the first wave of death metal but the played thrash, or deathrash if you really want to apply modern genre definitions.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm pretty sure their first albums were classified as death. Then they started leaning towards thrash by their fourth album.
ITT: Ze_Metal gets butthurt.

Also, Master of Puppets isn't hard, except for Kirk's solo, which is just extremely fast. The intro and rhythm parts will help tremendously with your picking speed.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael
ITT: Ze_Metal gets butthurt.

Also, Master of Puppets isn't hard, except for Kirk's solo, which is just extremely fast. The intro and rhythm parts will help tremendously with your picking speed.

What?
Quote by Ze_Metal
I'm pretty sure their first albums were classified as death. Then they started leaning towards thrash by their fourth album.

Just wrong; Slayer's first few albums are pure bay area thrash, their middle albums are thrash with some grove/post-thrash elements thrown in and lately they've gone back to their more thrashy original sound. They have never, in their entire history, been classified as death metal. As a band they have had the single largest influence on first wave death metal (also heavily influenced by German thrash which is death-ier still) but they are not, themselves, death metal.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just wrong; Slayer's first few albums are pure bay area thrash, their middle albums are thrash with some grove/post-thrash elements thrown in and lately they've gone back to their more thrashy original sound. They have never, in their entire history, been classified as death metal. As a band they have had the single largest influence on first wave death metal (also heavily influenced by German thrash which is death-ier still) but they are not, themselves, death metal.

Haha I remember now, I thought I read a few things that said they were death metal in the first few albums, but I remember now It said thrash -.-. I, myself don't listen to slayer because they are too mainstream for my preference. I apologize.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Haha I remember now, I thought I read a few things that said they were death metal in the first few albums, but I remember now It said thrash -.-. I, myself don't listen to slayer because they are too mainstream for my preference. I apologize.

I don't either but I still know my metal history; you should be in touch with the influences of my favourite artists even if you don't listen to them.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
the first part is listening, listen to as much metal as you can, then try to play some of the techniques you heard and you liked.