You know what I mean. Have any of you ever written a song in a certain genre and not really realize it until you're finished writing it?

I usually write stuff in a general hard rock style (Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman, etc...) but the last two songs I've written have more of a progressive metal sound. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just that I've never really tried writing in that style before, it just sort of happened.

I know this is kind of a stupid question and I'm sure there is some logic behind why I've been writing prog. metal but, for the moment, I'm just curious.
i usually write in a little softer rock style or acoustic rock. But i like to play metal stuff more.
all my stuff usually comes out as thrash or prog metal. every riff/song I write seems to have that slant on it.
alot of my stuff comes out as a fairly bluesy soft pop rock....
i don't care for it that much which is why guitarists have side projects....
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Emo
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I just automatically wrote a tanz-metall song about Blitzkrieg... but thats normal for me...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I don't write in the same style all the time. Stuff usually ends up sounding like whatever I'm listening to at the time.
We'll depends what way your talking about I guess.
Musicly I tend to write in a more punk/metal way with a bit of acoustic fingerstyle.
Lyricly I find myself writing very much in the classic blues acoustic fashion but with a crossing over to metal & english rock in places.

Main influnces within the song to do with the language and structure used come from what I'm listening to most at the time though.
My Gear:
Fender DC-4/TS Acoustic
Encore Classical
Vintage V100
Squire Stratocaster
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by AlmostLikeLife
You know what I mean. Have any of you ever written a song in a certain genre and not really realize it until you're finished writing it?

I usually write stuff in a general hard rock style (Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman, etc...) but the last two songs I've written have more of a progressive metal sound. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just that I've never really tried writing in that style before, it just sort of happened.

Im not sure if what I do fits into any particular genre, but I know its influenced by everything I've listened to.

Quote by AlmostLikeLife

I know this is kind of a stupid question and I'm sure there is some logic behind why I've been writing prog. metal but, for the moment, I'm just curious.

The logic is that you are influenced by what you listen to or are exposed to.
shred is gaudy music
SRV style blues, I've got some great tunes done in that style but I really don't want to write like that all the time.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I think whatever genre you listen to the most, will show up the most in your own writing
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I usually write Jazz based chill music, especially if I am composing on my melodica, and not my guitar.
I usually write in a punk or even soft rock style...but its good because i enjoy playing those genres...
depends on the sound im trying to emulate, U2 finds its way into my playing, Foo Fighters into my vocals... Pink Floyd into my melodies, i always aim for more Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher heavy blues sound but ive gotten comfortable with missing my own vision from time to time...
I have lots of random stuff I've written that I don't really know how to classify. Lots of melodic stuff, random chord progressions, celticy things. I just call it music ^_^
Last edited by CowboyUp at Jul 19, 2008,
power metal/shred, with death metal rhythm

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost