Hi, dont post much but I have a couple of Q's.

I play acoustic and I've self taught what I know up to yet and I'm happy with what I've learned so far, I'm not very strict with practice though and sometimes get frustrated so I end up putting it down for a while.

I'm thinking if its time to start lessons and whether I need more structure to my playing? as it is I only practice by playing songs I've learnt, I dont have a strict practice schedule as such. I'm starting to struggle with a few things now which as got me thinking about lessons.

The other question is about hand/finger size having an effect on your playing, damn it I have small hands and its hard work, I cant even play a B chord (presuming I'm playing it right) because I cant reach between the 4th and 2nd and fret the notes cleanly, is this going to be a problem? they aren't overly small hands but when you see some dudes reaching over with their thumbs for some chords it makes me feel sick
Practice practice!
Sometimes taking a few days break from guitar will help you.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
I have small hands and i can do the chords, but i've been playing a year and a half and i'm also self taught :p I had a teacher for a short while, and well he was all about scales and stuff, where as i wanted to learn by playing other bands songs. I feel i did the right thing by choosing what i wanted to do, keeps you interested, and when you learn something makes you feel like you've actually accomplished something instead of like 'lolz i r play scales' when no one really cares about them.
a teacher would be a good idea. just to show you some techniques and some styles so you can develop yourself.

also the thing with people playing with their thumbs over the neck is a sort of bad habit that guitarists get into after a few years of playing. really your thumb should always say at the base of the neck to support your hand but eventually people just stop doing that. however you do find people who use their thumb to hold bass notes.
Quote by BullonParade
a teacher would be a good idea. just to show you some techniques and some styles so you can develop yourself.

also the thing with people playing with their thumbs over the neck is a sort of bad habit that guitarists get into after a few years of playing. really your thumb should always say at the base of the neck to support your hand but eventually people just stop doing that. however you do find people who use their thumb to hold bass notes.

Yeah I know its not really useful but I was trying to learn the opening to pinball wizard and if I thumb the low E string then its too much of a stretch and the rest of my fingers catch the strings so it doesn't ring clearly at all.

lol @ scales, this is exactly whats putting me off a teacher, I know they are very useful and important but if I had to practice them all the time i wouldn't even bother picking up a guitar again in my whole life. but as for technique and tips and stuff I think it might be a wise choice to have a few lessons.
Quote by Delta Man
lol @ scales, this is exactly whats putting me off a teacher, I know they are very useful and important but if I had to practice them all the time i wouldn't even bother picking up a guitar again in my whole life. but as for technique and tips and stuff I think it might be a wise choice to have a few lessons.

Still, you are going to have to go into music theory and excercises sooner or later to not get stuck where you are. My advice is to start doing excercises for a short while (30 minutes?) at the beginning of each session and then play songs. 30 minutes won't bore you and hopefully you'll see some real effect of the excercises pretty soon.

To me, variation is very important. I usually switch between excercises, licks and songs to keep me motivated and still learn important things.
Whats this "thumb bad habit" crap? If it can fret a note I say use it, be it a thumb or your pecker.

Playing music is about the sounds that are produced, not how you do it.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Whats this "thumb bad habit" crap? If it can fret a note I say use it, be it a thumb or your pecker.

Playing music is about the sounds that are produced, not how you do it.

but to begin with its difficult to make the sounds produced if you cant hold the chords/notes properly. eventually you get used to it but its hard at first.