Okay, this is it: How do different value pots effect the tone of your guitar? Like, are 500k pots more bassy than 250k ones or whatever? And does that effect change depending on whether they're used as volume or tone controls?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Excuse my blasphemy but what is a pot?
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
pot is short for potentiometer, aka variable resistor. they're the volume and tone controls.

my understanding is that for higher output pickups, you need higher value pots to stop the sound from getting too muddy. basically, the higher the value, the brighter the sound.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Thank you for the one intelligent reply...

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Okay, cool, so why do Jaguars have 1 meg pots? Surely that'd make them sound way too bright?

Well, because Leo Fender is a madman.

And they are very bright.

I imagine the reason they're not unbearable is due to a few things:
1 - Different scale length. I believe Jags are of 24" scale, whereas normal Fenders are of 25.5".
2 - The tone circuits in the guitar. I'm not intimately familiar with them, but I know that they are different from normal guitars like a Les Paul or Strat, in how theya re wired.
Hah, actually you've got a point about Leo, he was slightly deaf and couldn't hear high ends very well, hence the ultra trebley Tele.

Well, that's about it for my questions, cheers for the help, man.

hey, i'm going to wire a guitar with two fender-strat-copy singles in the neck and middle and a humbucker in the bridge. The wood I'm using (the guitar is a custom) is hard maple, which i hear is very bright. Heres the humbucker i'm going to get: http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhublbrp.html

Now, ive been thinking that i'll have the electronics set up with the 5-way, a killswitch (already installed) and a volume knob, no tone.

My questions: Should i use a tone knob? And what kind of pots will be used best (250, 500, etc.)? I don't know what the current ones are, but i'm guessing theyre 250k because of the single coils.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Not having a tone knob will give you maximum brightness. So if you are worried about it being too bright, install a tone knob.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The thing of it is...Using a 250K pot may make the humbucker suffer a bit. Might get too warm.

Would a 500k and a 250k work (1 vol/2 tone)?

And volume pots don't have a rating do they?

PS: I already ordered that humbucker i was talking about in my earlier post.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>