Well, school finished today, and as I told myself earlier in the year, I shall practice a minimum of 7 hours per day on my actual technique and things such as scales, etc. My question though, is can anybody suggest me a good practice schedule which, with the use of a metronome, will be able to improve my speed drastically, providing I put the effort in. I also want to spend some time on music theory, mainly things such as scales, constructing chords, etc.
hah, good luck.

anybody gonna take bets on this one?

i say two weeks or less.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
I'd definitely look into Vai's 10 and 30 hour workouts. Also, check out the guitar pro exercises thread, it's rather good.

Er, and not to plug myself, but have you read all my lessons? In my sig. That should be food for thought. Improving your speed drastically will involve improving in every single technical aspect, primarily economy of motion and reducing tension.
Quote by dark_gilbert
hah, good luck.

i say two weeks or less.

It's not that outlandish of an idea. I basically practiced that long during the summer before my senior year of high school. I had no friends, so really, it was quite a simple task.
7 hours kill your wrist. and you dont need 7 hours. But you can do it if you want. I would say, get 2 things you "need" to work on, and only work on those two things until you reach a goal. Then move onto another 2 things and reach a goal. shorter focuses practiced is better than a long one where you only practice 1/5 of the time and noodle the other times.
Quote by shtiming
7 hours kill your wrist. and you dont need 7 hours. But you can do it if you want. I would say, get 2 things you "need" to work on, and only work on those two things until you reach a goal. Then move onto another 2 things and reach a goal. shorter focuses practiced is better than a long one where you only practice 1/5 of the time and noodle the other times.

I sort of agree, but at the same time we're playing guitar because we love to do it, not because it's a chore. You don't have to be playing ZOMG-SO-DIFFICULT stuff for the whole 7 hours. You can work on less strenuous stuff. And after a while you can adapt to playing for longer periods of time as well.
Quote by dark_gilbert
hah, good luck.

i say two weeks or less.

No... Last year I done the exact same thing, except it was five hours per day, but I wasn't concentrating on speed.. Also, I don't spend all my time practising during the day. I space it out. Last summer, I was spending a few hours per morning, and some per night. (And by night, I mean like 11PM - 2AM, with headphones)

Anyway, freepower, I'll look into your lessons and that thread. I'll also search for Vai's 10 hour workout, and spot some exercises I might find useful. Oh also, if it helps, I've been playing 2 and a half years.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 19, 2008,
Playing long is quite fun, and you feel good about yourself when you do it too I've had a few 6-7 hours sessions sometimes, and in that time, you can do the warm up, jamming, technique practice, then jam some more, and just have fun doing with what you're doing!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
sorry about that arrogant post up there, just that i would never be able to keep that up. I don't schedule my playing, just do it when i feel like it for as long as i feel like it, i think that's better than pressuring yourself into doing a certain amount of time a day.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Quote by LordPino
Quote by dark_gilbert
sorry about that arrogant post up there, just that i would never be able to keep that up. I don't schedule my playing, just do it when i feel like it for as long as i feel like it, i think that's better than pressuring yourself into doing a certain amount of time a day.

No problem, and I can see where you're coming from. The last time I tried something like this, I was exhausted by the end of the holidays. I also lost some motivation. But that's the main thing. If you have motivation, you could go on and on.

It'll be hard for the first few weeks for me, as I don't schedule my playing now and do just jam and practice when I feel like it, but as I say, it goes back to motivation. I've been getting into more and more metal bands, and I struggle to play many of my favourite songs because of my technique and slow speed, and my lead chops need patching.

Anyway, I'll be starting tomorrow. I'll do a few hours in the morning, and a few at night. I need to make sure this doesn't get in the way of my plans to re-finish my Strat copy.

Good luck, and may the force be with you sir.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Quote by LordPino
Quote by 08L1V10N
I am between Beginner and Intermediate. What should I do in 7 hours?

7 hours eh?
Good luck on that. It will kill your wrist, but practice improvising, maybe over a backing track, learn other songs for ideas...
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
7 hours? Let me tell you, if I was doing this for 7 hours a day, I would have NO friends. You have your whole life ahead of you! Enjoy being 15. Trust me, I realized after my freshman year was over that, I AM going to miss being young. So, I've decided to limit my practice to around 3 hours per day and spend as much of the time outside of that with my friends. I don't want to look back on these days and say "Dammit, I coulda dated her!" or something like that. Enjoy life while you can dude.
Quote by The.new.guy
7 hours? Let me tell you, if I was doing this for 7 hours a day, I would have NO friends. You have your whole life ahead of you! Enjoy being 15. Trust me, I realized after my freshman year was over that, I AM going to miss being young. So, I've decided to limit my practice to around 3 hours per day and spend as much of the time outside of that with my friends. I don't want to look back on these days and say "Dammit, I coulda dated her!" or something like that. Enjoy life while you can dude.

Not everyone has the same mindset as you. For some, playing guitar IS "enjoying life."
Quote by The.new.guy

I'll still be out with my friends during the day, etc, but from like 11:00AM at night I can practice for a few hours. Generally in the school holidays I go to sleep very late, wake up about 11ish in the morning, and go out with my friends for the day.

And yeah, the guy above is right, playing guitar is enjoying my life. But seriously, I will be able to fit it in around my normal life.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 21, 2008,