I need a noise gate bad so which one....nobody sells the decimater here so I was thinking of a Boss NS-2...opinions, feedback (no pun intended haha) ?
my buddy has a boss one and we both think it works nicely but a lot of people on here go for a isp decimator
I've heard lots about the Decimator, but I've used an MXR Smart Gate and it works rather well.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
the ISP Gstring is a killer noise suppressor if you can get a hold of one. Very transparent, and very effective. The NS-2 isn't bad if you use it correctly utilizing the loop, but it doesn't compare to the ISP units imo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
the ISP Gstring is a killer noise suppressor if you can get a hold of one. Very transparent, and very effective. The NS-2 isn't bad if you use it correctly utilizing the loop, but it doesn't compare to the ISP units imo.

+1

If you've got the cash though, it might be worth looking into the rack model. I've got the G-string, but it can only handle so much because of the 9 volt power supply.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
+1

If you've got the cash though, it might be worth looking into the rack model. I've got the G-string, but it can only handle so much because of the 9 volt power supply.

what do you mean because of the power supply? It's the same brains as the Pro RackG, just isn't 2 channels. What does the PS affect?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

what do you mean because of the power supply? It's the same brains as the Pro RackG, just isn't 2 channels. What does the PS affect?

+1
I'm at bit confused at that too. Ususally these things have the access to 4x+ the power they actually need.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Erock503

I was having problems with my Cobra, and the G-string playing nicely. The problem was that the Cobra overpowered the G-string. If I turned the channel volume up to a certain point it would start to break up.

I called the guys at ISP and they explained that I was passing to much signal through the pedal. He said the rack unit doesn't have that problem, because it runs on more voltage which allows more headroom.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I was having problems with my Cobra, and the G-string playing nicely. The problem was that the Cobra overpowered the G-string. If I turned the channel volume up to a certain point it would start to break up.

I called the guys at ISP and they explained that I was passing to much signal through the pedal. He said the rack unit doesn't have that problem, because it runs on more voltage which allows more headroom.

wow, very interesting. I remember hating the loop on the Framus, it didn't work well at all with my GMajor, but I didn't have josh around either, lol. I figured it had something to do with it not having a +4/-10dB switch for the fx level. Good to know.

BTW, if you are looking to upgrade, I know a guy on HC that was actually looking for a GString to replace his ProRackG, for the simplicity factor and not needing 2ch.
amp clips
amp vids
I started reading into some pedals and they all seem to be focused on the hiss/hum noise, are any of these pedals going to cut out the high pitched scream from a high gain amp at a pretty loud volume (say 3-5) ? The hum/hiss doesn't bother me as much as when we were doing some rough recordings and every time I'd mute my strings for a pause in a breakdown or something, I'd get the whole piercing feedback that makes you want to plug your ears in the middle of the song.
You won't regret the NS-2. I was wary when I bought it as I play a Lot of high gain metal - it shuts everything up. Just put all your noisy pedals (no delays, reverbs) in the NS2'S loop and it's done. Very simple to use and very effective.
Quote by zhunt1130
I started reading into some pedals and they all seem to be focused on the hiss/hum noise, are any of these pedals going to cut out the high pitched scream from a high gain amp at a pretty loud volume (say 3-5) ? The hum/hiss doesn't bother me as much as when we were doing some rough recordings and every time I'd mute my strings for a pause in a breakdown or something, I'd get the whole piercing feedback that makes you want to plug your ears in the middle of the song.

Are you playing close to the amp?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I went ahead and got the NS-2 b/c I didn't want to 1 wait for a decimater to come in b/z we're doing some recording tomorrow and 2 b/c I didn't want to pay the 165 bucks. The boss works great, cut the noise and tightened up the sound a lot, I'm pleased so far.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Are you playing close to the amp?

No but when you have a 6505 with the gain on like 7 and volume on 5 and a hellraiser with EMGs, feedback is hard to avoid.