Ok I gonna buy my first tube amp pretty, maybe for my birthday in September. I don't really want or need anything big or loud. I am just sick of my Spider III and want a better tone, I;ve actually been playing through an acoustic amp and an old TV that I modded which actually doesn't sound that bad. I was looking at the Valve Junior, Valive King Royal 8, or Fender Champion 600. Right now I have a Fender Fat Strat and love to play Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I am going to the local music store today and was wondering what you UGers thought.

Oh and I was also looking at a nice overdrive pedal. I love the Tube Screamer but wanted to try a lot out before I made a decision.
Thanks!
The Blues Junior is great for SRV, specially with a teency bit of gain on a tubedriver, SV didnt have much gain, but still had 2 Tubescreamers, so a TS808 or a MAxon OD808, or maybe even a BBE Greenscreamer will do you well.
Valve Junior. Great bang for the buck and it loves pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The Blues Junior is about $380? I played one of them about 2 weeks ago just for fun and I really liked it. Im trying to stay under $450 cause I dont need anything loud at all. How loud do you have to crank the blues junior before it starts to break up?
I havent tried out the valve Junior but I am going to today. I think that would actually be one of the better ones for me because of the easyness to mod If I want to later on.
Mine starts to breakup between 1 and 2 o'clock position.As far as how loud it's not bad for me, but you'll have to try it. Your guitar volume knob is helpful. The combo is less expensive and doesn't get as loud as the head/cab, but the combo doesn't have as much low end. I recommend the head/cab.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I think the Blues Junior in the long run because eventually im gonna gig with it. scott58- Have you gigged with the blues junior? Is it dependable? and how do you like your Valve Junior? sorry about all the questions I just wanna make sure im gonna get I quality product that will be dependable. Of I course I still gotta try it out better to see if its really for me.
No problem. On it's own it's not really giggable. I'm practicing with a new set of guys tomorrow to stand in for a cover band guitarist and i'm going to be mic'ing it through my PA. I'll know alot more by tomorrow night. The Blues Junior may be a better solution for you. It was my plan to get my "feet wet" with VJr then go to something like the BJ, but i like this amp so much I don't think that's going to happen anymore and my next step will be some type of boutique amp. I've had zero problems with this VJ (V3) and using it with my POD XTL I get every tone I want from zepplin to Iron Maiden. The only down side is the volume. For home practice it's perfect. Gigging? I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. Try as many amps as you can. in the end it's gotta be your decision.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I have a Blues Junior. It is very dependable, and I'm pretty sure it would have enough volume for a small gig. It can definitely go over a drummer, but I haven't used it much in a band situation. It has enough range of volume to play at bedroom volume. It has some pretty good gain, if you use the volume. And just turn down the master volume if it gets too loud. You might want an overdrive, like minibrowny stated. The only effects I've put through mine are the ones on my ME-50 but a regular overdrive would probably get a really good blues tone.

EDIT: Forgot to add... it should have enough volume for a gig, and anything that it wouldn't be loud enough to cover would probably have a PA anyway, and you could just mic it. I'm pretty sure it's in your price range, too. Go used if you can, though. It's much cheaper.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
OK cool, thanks everybody I'll be leaving to go to the music store in about an hour or two.
Go for the Blues Junior, it's definitely the best option. Louder, and better voiced for what you want, and the fact that it has a push-pull output stage and a 12" speaker will make it sound far more similar to the tones you're after.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Valve Junior Combo and a couple decent pedals and VOILA'... I also have a 10" and a 12" homemade cab I use with it so even a second cab would be great too - stay within budget and RAWK out!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by scott58
Valve Junior. Great bang for the buck and it loves pedals.

+1 the vj is a great choice and if you love pedals (i do) very veratile. it is easily and for the most part cheaply modified.