Poll: Whose viewpoint is right?
Poll Options
View poll results: Whose viewpoint is right?
Mine
35 37%
My Mom's
39 41%
Other
21 22%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 2
I'll explain. My ten year old little brother LOVES playing this online RPG called Club Penguin. Here's a link:

http://www.clubpenguin.com/

He plays it for at least an hour almost every day, and apparently he's become a prominent member of some sort, Vice President of some group or something, I really don't know the details. Anyway, this morning I wake up and he'd obviously been crying, and he was talking to my mom about something. Later, I found out that whatever he'd been in charge of was closed.

I just had a discussion with my mom about whether she was right, being quite sympathetic about what happened to him. I couldn't care less, and I think it's great that it happened, since he's decided to stop playing now.

My viewpoint: If you play something like an RPG long enough and with enough emotional investment that you'll cry and act depressed if it's taken away from you, you should expect and recieve zero sympathy, and acting sympathetic sends him the wrong message.

My mom's viewpoint: Happy as she is that he's no longer playing, "his feelings are his feelings," and they have to be respected, regardless.

So, pit... who's right?

And yes, I KNOW my brother's a loser/ fag/ idiot/ whatever else you'd like to call him.

Poll's coming.
My brother played that stupid ****ing game for a while. I don't think you should be mean about it, but I wouldn't act all sad for him either.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by smb
What's the question? Why should we care?

Read again? Or do I need to include a summary for your purposes?
Well, if he was my little brother, I'd feel bad that he was so upset because it clearly means a lot to him, but it's his own silly fault for getting so involved in a game, and maybe he will learn not to do it in future. So...sort of sympathetic, but not really. I can't identify with his problem at all because I'm an adult.
The kid's ten.

When I was ten years old I used to get pissed when games didn't go my way.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
Quote by smb
What's the question? Why should we care?

Having no status and that avatar has me convinced your a dinosaur. RAWR!

Maybe you're brother needs to get out more and make new friends? You should be sympathetic to a point.
He's 10 years old for God's sake. Give him some sympathy. He lost something he loves to do. If your guitar got taken away from you and you cried your eyes out, you'd expect some sympathy. It's the same principle- you'd have lost something you love to do.

It doesn't matter if it's an RPG, playing for your local sports team or whatever.
Just take him out drinking, he'll get over it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Uh, he's 10?

(That game sucks anyway.)
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Kinda sad, but he'll grow out of it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He's 10 years old for God's sake. Give him some sympathy. He lost something he loves to do. If your guitar got taken away from you and you cried your eyes out, you'd expect some sympathy. It's the same principle- you'd have lost something you love to do.

It doesn't matter if it's an RPG, playing for your local sports team or whatever.

Was going to write this, just not as good.
+1 QFT and all that
Quote by Gunpowder
Just take him out drinking, he'll get over it.

This is good advice.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by Deliriumbassist

The difference between this and playing guitar or sports is that I get something out of them, no? The only thing he gets out of the game is increased social akwardness.
+1 on what delirium said, I was gonna write the exact same thing. Get on with your life man
ohai little sig.
Quote by maggot2011
Having no status and that avatar has me convinced your a dinosaur. RAWR!

Anyway I'm not surprised the kid got upset. Hell, I'd be pretty pissed if UG suddenly disappeared.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The difference between this and playing guitar or sports is that I get something out of them, no? The only thing he gets out of the game is increased social akwardness.

He's 10. How do you expect him to be able to know that?
i was a player moderator on the game runescape for a little while...i had the same username Beam Sword0...that game was addicting, and i've seen lots of people cry over it...i sold my account for $100 on craigslist, and then i stole it back 2 months later...i haven't played it in over 8 months now..
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

You get something out of guitar... has it ever occured to you that your brother could have fun playing the game? That's getting something out of it. Stop being pathetic and holding your hobbies and interests above his.
I think your mom was right on this one. Where the hell is the love in your family? Yes, I'll admit that crying over a computer game is wrong, but the kid is 10 years old for god sake. I think you need to stop being an asshole and more like a brother.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

He gets enjoyment out of it, no? What do you really get out of playing guitar, bragging rights, or do you really think you'll be making a living off of it?

Be realistic, and be a good brother. Don't be a douchebag, he's 10 ffs.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The difference between this and playing guitar or sports is that I get something out of them, no? The only thing he gets out of the game is increased social awkwardness.
Not from his point of view. He enjoyed doing it and having a position of slight authority probably improved his confidence. Now it's been removed, he's understandably upset. In his world it's a big deal, he can't be expected to see the bigger picture at ten to be honest.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

i was about to type a similar thing..

"what if you lost your fingers and couldn't masturbate? you'd totally cry."
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Your Mum was right. So what if he really likes a game. He's 10 and you're silly ahaha
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Kivarenn82

Not really, I've got nothing emotionally invested in masturbation. I'd be irritated, but the fact that I can't masturbate wouldn't at all affect the rest of my life.

I guess I'm worried he'll be like this in a few years:

Quote by guylee
if someone took UG from me, i would cry...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
He plays it for at least an hour almost every day

err, whats the problem?

get the **** off your high horse and get a girlfriend.
Quote by haz_uk
err, whats the problem?

get the **** off your high horse and get a girlfriend.

Never said that was the problem.

And I do.
lol When I was 10, I sobbed when a zombie killed me in Resident Evil and I hadn't saved in hours. Sure it seems dumb now, but a child's mind is a hell of a lot different than a more mature one. I'd say give him some sympathy. Maybe help him out finding a new more rewarding hobby?
Well... I don't know.

I was addicted to Star Wars Galaxies for a long time and made some great social connections in that game, that still exist today. Quitting that game was one of the harder things I've done. Not a proud time of my life.

I think I have sympathy, yeah, I do. Its an addiction.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Kivarenn82

Masturbation would be the least of my worries. I used my fingers for tonnes of things. Other people can sexually gratify me, but I can't play guitar or hold a drink if I have no fingers.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
he's ten man give him a break. he's still a little kid, remember when you were ten? well you probably don't because you seem like a douchebag about your little bro's rpg.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Feelings are feelings, but I only accept human feelings, and it is a well known fact that children only become human when they turn thirteen, beforehand they are merely walking carbon lifeforms, nothing more.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2