So i've been playing with my valveking in a band setting for a few weeks now and i am honestly pretty disappointed. It is pretty muddy even with a nice cab with vintage 30s. I bought some EMGs for my SG, so i'm hoping that will clear out some of the mud, but if i still dont like the sound i'm gonna be selling the head.

but yea recommend me a head (new or used) in the price range of about 500-600 maybe a little more that are good for hardcore punk. i'm hoping i can get at least 400 for the head if i sell it and ill just need to save a few paychecks. I was actually even looking at a laney protube lead 50 but it looks like it might not have enough gain for me.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I'd say a used JCM800 or 900 would be a good choice. Did you try putting an OD pedal in front of the VK?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
no, and yea i'm gonna try a few other things first, EQ pedal and OD.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
no, and yea i'm gonna try a few other things first, EQ pedal and OD.

HOW can you even say you even tried to make a VK sound good without ever trying an EQ and/or an OD???
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
alright so which first, OD or EQ? i'm going to guitar center later so i'll pick up either an MXR eq or a tubescreamer
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
OD. the flub will immediately go away. make sure to keep the gain at 0 and the level all the way up.

edit: you can get a danelectro fish n chips and run it through your fx loop as well as getting a tubescreamer. the fish n chips is like 30 bucks.
yea ive seen the fish and chips but it is built like a feather and i want to spend more. ha.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
MXR 10-band + Ibanez TS9 would be sweet.

Might get away with just the MXR 6-band; give it a blast and see.
When you get an OD please dont be afraid to try the Digitech Bad Monkey. I know some people who wouldent give it a chance because its cheap, but i've found that its great for tightening up distortion without breaking the bank. Of course if you have more money go for the more expensive stuff :P
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Last edited by jetsrule281 at Jul 18, 2008,
yea i def have nothing against the bad monkey. it depends what the prices are tonight and if i can haggle them down on a ts9 or something
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by ChrisN
MXR 10-band + Ibanez TS9 would be sweet.

Might get away with just the MXR 6-band; give it a blast and see.

the 6 has an 18 db boost vs the 10s 12 so you can get some sick OD
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the 6 has an 18 db boost vs the 10s 12 so you can get some sick OD

12 is more than plenty
Quote by sg622
12 is more than plenty

to OD an amp?

pushing it IMO

i have 15 and it just gets the job done
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
actually i just remembered i have a boss ds2 i think? that i have never used so maybe i can trade that in or something. I'm thinking the 6 band eq would be enough for me and the bad monkey actually sounds like it would be a good deal.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob