can somebody help me find a picture of the major scale going all the way across the fretboard? (Link would be fine)

And can someone explain to me, how the modes fit into the major scale?

Thanks for the help.
http://jguitar.com/scale?root=C&scale=Ionian&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

I won't get too technical on the modes but the seven modes are the Ionian (Major), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian (Minor), and Locrian.

C Ionian has the same notes as D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, and B Locrian.
Last edited by Geartrigger at Jul 18, 2008,
Thank you both ^^^

I know the Modes, and can play them and have them memorized.

and lets see if i got this right, the Modes (patterns) will fit into the Major Scale? Like say D Dorian pattern will fit into the Major scale?
Quote by scguitarking927
Thank you both ^^^

and lets see if i got this right, the Modes (patterns) will fit into the Major Scale? Like say D Dorian pattern will fit into the Major scale?

Yes, but don't think of modes as patterns . Each of those patterns you're referring to can be any one of seven modes depending on the context, and each mode covers the entire fretboard. Modes are something you should forget about until you have a firm grasp on the the major scale and diatonic harmony.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Yes, but don't think of modes as patterns . Each of those patterns you're referring to can be any one of seven modes depending on the context, and each mode covers the entire fretboard. Modes are something you should forget about until you have a firm grasp on the the major scale and diatonic harmony.
+1

When you get down to it, you don't even need to know the shapes to play modally.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by scguitarking927
Thank you both ^^^

Pretty much. D Dorian and C Major (Ionian) = Same notes = same pattern but different root. As a consequence they have different interval structures and different sounds.
Si