There seems to be lots of questions about talk boxes around, so I'm gonna put the answers in one place (most info from Talkbox FAQ at Blamepro.net)

Using a Talkbox

You'll want to make certain that you have quick and convenient access to the talkbox pn/off switch and the all-important sound tube. When your solo comes up, you want to be able to dive right in without fussing about with cables, switches and tubing. This is especially true if you're the only guitarist in the band.

If the tube is not long enough, you can place the talkbox on a chair or equipment case to get it close enough to the mic stand. You could also shorten the mic boom or replace the talkbox tube with a longer one.

Connect the Speaker Out of the amp to the Amp jack of the talkbox. Run a second cable from the Speaker jack of the talkbox to the speaker cabinet. Don't use a mic cable for this! Buy a cable designed for use with speaker cabinets. since you'll likely be using the talkbox several feet from the amp, especially if you're using it on stage, buy a pair of 20 or 25 foot cables that are 14 gauge or better. (The smaller the number, the thicker the conductor inside the cable. Smaller is better in this case.) The absolute minimum gauge to use is 16 gauge, for very short runs. 14 is better, and 12 is great if you can afford it.

If you use a combo amp, it may not have a speaker output jack. In this case, you'll need to splice in a pair of jacks and connect them with a short cable when you're not using the talkbox (or use a switching jack so that if nothing is inserted, the two jacks are automatically connected so that sound defaults to the built-in speaker in your combo amp). Or you could buy a long speaker cable, cut in off in the middle, and use wire nuts to attach the wire ends to the wire running between the amp and the speaker (you'll cut this wire, too). You'll definitely want to label each one at the plug end, so that you don't forget which is which). Your local music store would be more than happy to do this for you for a small fee.

Most talkboxes have an impedance of 16 ohms. The rule of thumb is that, if possible, you want to set your amp to the same impedance as the load (speakr or talkbox driver). However, you can use a load that is greater than what the amp is designed for. The amp just has to work harder, and will produce less output power. If you have a choice between a talkbox driver of 8 or 16 ohms, stick with the 16 ohm model. Otherwise, you run the risk an impedance mismatch that could cause your amp to fail.
For example: Marshall half stack owners use a cabinet that is 16 ohms and a head that can be set to 8 or 16 ohms (many heads also allow 4 ohm loads). If yours is switched to 16 ohms to drive that model 1960A angled 4x12 Celestion cabinet and you use an 8 ohm talkbox, you're asking for trouble. Have your music store install an 8 ohm resistor (heavy duty wirewound type) in series with the talkbox driver. This will effectively change the impedance of the talkbox to 16 ohms. Don't install it in parallel or you've halved the load and will turn your Marshall into a fog machine!

You could set your head to the 8 ohm setting and operate a single 16 ohm cabinet and an 8 ohm talkbox. The down side is that your amp will be pushing hard to drive the heavier (16 ohm) load. then when you push the button and switch to the internal driver, suddenly the burden has lifted and your amp is producing a full-out roar into the tiny little driver. Chances are that you'll blow the driver in the talkbox.

Adjust the volume of your amp to stage volume. Test the level of the talkbox by depressing the switch. If you don't hear a signal, stop immediately and check your cables. You don't want to operate your amp at high volume settings without a load.

If the talkbox output is too loud, this means that you'll have to back down on the guitar volume control as soon as you switch to the talkbox. Remember that the horn driver is very efficient. A little wattage goes a long way.

Now you're all set to jam. Click the foot switch to toggle between speaker cabinet and talkbox. Put your lips around the tube that is in front of your vocal microphone. Play notes on the guitar and move your lips and voila! Talking guitar!
Or you could buy a self-contained unit (i.,e., E-H Deluxe Golden Throat, Rocktron Banshee) and simply plug it in like an effect pedal. Don't forget to take an AC extension cord with you!

Contrary to popular belief, the musician doesn't talk into the tube. The sound comes out the tube and into the performer's mouth. The sound can be modulated by the performer to produce sounds that are unique to the talkbox, or they can mimic other effects. for best results, a little practice is required. Each user will want to try the best method to hold the tube in his/her mouth, and to try moving the larynx as if talking (but not making any sound with the vocal cords). The author lightly clenches the tube between the incisors. A light grip is maintained so that the air flow in the tube is not restricted.

Tip #1: Breathing out (quietly) helps you move your larynx to get a full, rich sound.

Tip #2: When recording with your talkbox, be sure to use a pop filter with the microphone. It will filter out any inadvertent wind, pop, or breath noises caused by trying to modulate sounds with the vinyl tube in your mouth. It's not necessary for stage use, since the sound from the band will usually cover any such noises. But for recording, it's a must!

Tip #3: I use a twist tie to keep the vinyl tube connected to the mic stand for stage use. This makes sure that the end of the tube stays clean (by keeping it off the stage floor), plus there's no fumbling when I'm ready to use it. Tape would work, too, but it will leave a gummy residue on the tubing that will attract dirt.

I don't recomend this for recording. If the tube touches the mic stand or boom in any way, the action of moving the tube in any way will be heard in the mix. Again, it's OK for live use, just not for the studio.

Tip #4: Harmonics play an important role in being understood. Distortion and fuzz have high frequency overtones. The talkbox driver thrives on reproducing high frequency sounds. Use some raunchy tones with your stomp box, then kick in the talkbox. You'll sound just like the recorded examples listed elsewhere in ths FAQ.

Here are some sounds to experiment with:

Wah wah - Move the lips by phrasing "wow wow" or "wah wah"

Living on a Prayer - You can get this Bon Jovi sound by mouthing "ooh-wa-ooh-wa-ooh-wa" while moving the larynx as if you were trying to speak in a deep voice. It's okay if a little air escapes from your lungs while you do this. It's all part of the technique. You need to breathe while you solo!

Talking guitar - Play guitar while lip syncing. You'll be surprised at how clearly you can produce words. Experiment with moving your voice box as if you were speaking in both deeper and higher than normal pitches.

Vocorder - Play chords and lip sync. The fuller the sound, the more realistic the vocorder effect. Since a vocorder uses a synthesizer engine, you'll find that using a fuzz box will add harmonics to the sound and make it easier to understand.

Phase shifter/flanger - Slowly open and close the lips while playing. Don't try to make word sounds.

Crazy Eddie - Try fretboard tapping while using the talkbox. Who knows what will happen?

Scat Meets Grunge - Solo while singing the same thing (perhaps an octave down) and talkbox it. Will produce Octavia-like effect with the added modulation from your lips.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Nice.

I just wanted to add, that anyone looking to just try out a talkbox for fun or because they're not sure if it's what they want should look into the Ghetto Talkbox. MootBooxle has a tutorial about how to make on on youtube.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I think this should probably live a lot longer considering the amount of content.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I really like the Rocktron Banshee, doesn't quite sound as good as a Heil, but it's much less of a pain to set up and doesn't require a stack or amp mods.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have the danelectro. Sounds fine, its just a little quiet (because the volume control is wired up in a stupid idiot way - it controls the supplied mic volume, and using it with a guitar amp is **** - its great with an SM-57/58 though). Would it be louder if i used it with distortion pedals? it has a distortion effect built into it, but if i turned the gain down on the pedal and used a boss DS-2 or something with the level cranked, would that help with volume at all?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I have the danelectro. Sounds fine, its just a little quiet (because the volume control is wired up in a stupid idiot way - it controls the supplied mic volume, and using it with a guitar amp is **** - its great with an SM-57/58 though). Would it be louder if i used it with distortion pedals? it has a distortion effect built into it, but if i turned the gain down on the pedal and used a boss DS-2 or something with the level cranked, would that help with volume at all?

Yeah, that sounds like it'd work.

MootBooXle actually said something about running a distortion pedal into his talkbox once.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I have the Rocktron Banshee, its very cool. i love it and the first thing i learned to do on it, was Livin on a prayer. lmao

its very easy to get down. just around 20 minutes of fiddling around with it, and your an expert. ok, maybe not expert, but you know what your doing. lol
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Thats awesome. I would love to have a talkbox to play that! Still don't own one, though I have been able to use one on a couple of occasions. Only takes a few minutes to become acquainted
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
ok i tried the boosting idea and it didn't add a lot of volume; it was more gain than volume, however i should be getting my nobels boost sometime this week which could also help.

anyone know of any mods for the danelectro?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

The best suggestion I could make is get a clean boost to run in front of it. You don't really wanna add more gain, just volume. A boost like an LPB-1 should do it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
The best suggestion I could make is get a clean boost to run in front of it. You don't really wanna add more gain, just volume. A boost like an LPB-1 should do it

i'm way ahead of you there (my sig lol)

Awesome!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
big wall of text for something that useless ....unique
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I have the rocktron banshee and sometimes I'll toss a distortion pedal infront of it (My MD-2). Yeah, you get more feedback when you're not playing but the volume and tone of the talkbox is improved. I feel that the talkbox is really not that usefull but so much fun to play with. I barely use it with my band but when i do, the crowd goes crazy. does any one have tips on saying words with the talkbox? my mouth always closes when i do it.
I'm tryin to make my own talkbox but first I need to know what is a horn driver? Could I find it in a radio. If not where can I find one???
Last edited by gothboy666 at Aug 5, 2008,
Hey guys, I read the faq, but I'm still a little unsure.

Do I need a seperate speaker cab or amp, plus the amp I'm running with my guitar to use a talkbox?

EDIT: Okay, I've found out that the Dunlop Heil needs to be run through two amps (which I could do) but that it's potentially dnagerous.
On the other hand there's the Rocktron Banshee, which apparently I only need to use one amp with?

Could someone explain to me how I'd setup the Rocktron with my amp? (Marshall MG15. Please, all opinions aside, I just need your help!)

SUPEREDIT: Anyone? Guys? Hello?
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by CrazehSteve at Aug 4, 2008,
The Rocktron runs inline, meaning that you just run it like any other pedal
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Nice thread.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Bloodshed
The Rocktron runs inline, meaning that you just run it like any other pedal

Thanks alot man

HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA