I'm thinking of getting one of these but should I get the combo or half-stack? Is there a difference?
half stack.
looks cooler, sounds the same.
also, you can change the cab to get a different sound.
/thread
i play an 8 string
I think I'll need some kind of overdrive pedal as well. I'm thinking of getting the Pro Co Turbo Rat. Is that any good?
people need to start using the effing search bar. i believe i've made a thread or two on these amps, not to mention anytime ANYONE asks about them i tell them all about the tone....so use the search bar. i'm not gonna tell you how the tone is but i WILL tell you to listen to clips on my profile and go play it in person, use your EARS and they won't lie bud.

but in general, the tone is fantastic after tube upgrade. i got the mini stack and absolutely love it.

slash_edit: and the bad monkey is a perfectly fine OD to boost it. not the end all be all but good for the money. so if ur on a budget get that, i use it in some of my demos
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Well it depends if you want to be able to mix and match heads and cabs or use it with different cabs. And if you want to carry 2 pieces (albeit small pieces) around. Only you can say.
I think it's also a bit easier to get to the chassis in the head+cab version, the combo has more screws you have to take out since it's all together. but for something that you change maybe once a year, it's not THAT big of a deciding factor. I think the mini stack will have just a LIL better headroom....but for a 5 watt mid gain amp....that's not really much as is.

go with the stack. you'll love it. i can carry the head an cab in one trip to the car, though that head is a lil heavy for its size lol. the good news is, if you get the combo there's two benefits:

1) it's like $30 cheaper or so.

2) it still has a 12" speaker in it so the sound will still be about as nice as the stack version
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out