Alright guys, I need some help deciding...

I just found out that I get up to $450 for a new guitar! Right now I have a Squier Bullet and I was originally looking at getting an acoustic-electric (because I thought I only had a couple hundred to work with). So now, what my gameplan is, is to sell the Squier and get me a new electric. Any ideas for a good guitar? And where's the best place online to get it? Musiciansfriend? Here's what I'm looking for:

-I play anything from alternative to hard rock, so I need some versatility and a good clean sound...not looking for metal
-Shape isn't a big deal...I like the SG and LP shapes the best, though
-A whammy/tremelo bar would be nice, but not a necessity
-For color, a flame maple or a nice sunburst is preferred but not necessary

And for the most part, I don't want a guitar that EVERYBODY has...so no strats or teles

Thanks in advance for the help!

i do believe these two don't come together ... i would say a Jackson but I don't know how much they are in the US
Quote by Woozye

i do believe these two don't come together ... i would say a Jackson but I don't know how much they are in the US

WRONG!
Agile do great Les Paul shaped guitars with Floyd Roses on them
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1892.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1273.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1841.html
With the money left over, stick some Seymour Duncans in there and away you go
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by drmichael

And for the most part, I don't want a guitar that EVERYBODY has...so no strats or teles

Thanks in advance for the help!

dude,you must be new on UG...most popular guitars atm are epiphone LP/SG

Majority of the ppl on UG play an Epi ,or an Ibanez,you don't see that many Fenders nowadays

I would say an Ibanez GRG,nice tremolo...but no Sg/LP design
or the Ibanez ART series,LP shape.

Seriously finding a (cheap?) LP/SG with tremolo,is like finding a BC Rich with decent finish
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I don't want to rain on your parade. . . . but your not going to be able to sell that Squier Bullet. Nobody will want it. Or if you do it will only be for about 20-50 dollars. Best to keep it so in the future if you want to do something crazy with a guitar you can fool around with this one. (i.e. - custom paintjob, different pickups, anything!)
Do NOT look behind you.
PRS came to mind when I read your requirements.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Quote by drmichael

-For color, a flame maple or a nice sunburst is preferred but not necessary

You kind of need to decide on something, man. Tell us what you need in a guitar. It'd be great if mine made me pancakes, but it's not a necessity.
Quote by K!nj!

Seriously finding a (cheap?) LP/SG with tremolo,is like finding a BC Rich with decent finish

Lol.
So true.

Anyway TS sounds to me like you want a HSS (humbucker, single, single - from the bridge to the neck) pickup setup, or atleast a HH with a coil tap.
However, I would deffinatly look into the korean PRS's. They're pretty swish, but I have no idea how the priceing is for them in the US.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Demonikk
WRONG!
Agile do great Les Paul shaped guitars with Floyd Roses on them
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1892.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1273.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1841.html
With the money left over, stick some Seymour Duncans in there and away you go

+1, Agile is a nice brand, and Kurt is a pretty prompt guy. Sure, the headstock is different, but unless you're a die hard guitar purist, you shouldn't get your willie in a knot over it.
Are you willing to buy something used?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks for the suggestions! So far I like that Agile Dauntless the most. Are the EMG's on it pretty versatile for alternative through hard rock sort of music?

And as far as decision making goes...I say that those things are not a necessity in that it would be awesome for a guitar to have those, but I know that it would be tough to find a guitar that has ALL of those as requirements.

And where are some good places to buy?
dont get a dauntless get one with real EMGs. i think the version with real EMGs is like 380ish, i dont really remember.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by divinorum69
Get an IBANEZ ARTCORE HOLLOWCASE AFS75T, costs 399, has a whammy BIGSBY, sounds great, and best of all, looks great

thanks for the suggestion, but i gotta say...i hate how semi-hollows look
ESP/LTD makes some nice SG/Les Paul shaped guitars (Vipers and) with tremolos, floyd roses or something similar, I'm pretty sure.

The lower end ones are a bit over your price of $450, though. And I'm not sure if the Floyd (or equivalent)-equipped ones even come anywhere near that.
EMGs are generic in my opinion, but if all you want to play is Hard Rock, then by all means. Personally, i'd sway more towards something that's a little more versatile, but I'm me, and you're you. Worse comes to worse, you don't like the pickups you can swap 'em out for something else. You know how to solder without burning your eye out right?
Quote by whiteraven119
ESP/LTD makes some nice SG/Les Paul shaped guitars (Vipers and) with tremolos, floyd roses or something similar, I'm pretty sure.

The lower end ones are a bit over your price of $450, though. And I'm not sure if the Floyd (or equivalent)-equipped ones even come anywhere near that.

the only viper with a floyd is the travis miguel sig which is like $1200
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
the only viper with a floyd is the travis miguel sig which is like $1200
Hm, I didn't know that. Never mind, then.