You've played it, you tell me.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
i mean like the equipment on it like is it quaity stuff
has any body played it for more than something of an hour?
the features look amazing on the 5470 and the 24 frets and trem system looks great but i think the finish on the s2170 looks a bit better but thanks though. any more suggestions, comments and such?
Don't take this personally, but I really think you shouldn't pass on that (especially since it's even the same price) just because of the finish. I mean, the 5470 doesn't look bad at all.

Anyway, if you're really set on the 2170... It's a very good guitar. Stock pickups are quite decent unlike the ones on many Ibanez', but you may (or may not) want to change those in the future.
All in all a good buy.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Got an S2170 (poplar finish) about 6 months back, and I haven't had any problems with it. Changing pickups doesn't really make sense to me - I bought it because I like the sound. Build quality is without anty apparent flaws. Playability depends on preference - I find it comfortable. I also think the ZR tremolo system works well. Intonation has never been an issue - this thing stays in tune no matter what.

So I'd say you get what you pay for.
Take the S2170 over the 5470. I've heard way too many bad reviews about the new trem.
i was at a music store saturday and i tired one, and the S prestiges are now made in Korea (ie are crap). Go for a pre 1995 S540
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
i was at a music store saturday and i tired one, and the S prestiges are now made in Korea (ie are crap). Go for a pre 1995 S540

^^ I have a 1993 s540bmav quite the beast, you can get these things on ebay for 500 bucks, upgrade the pickups and you are set, these guitars are the equivalent to today's S prestiges (back in the day when they didn't have prestiges), however if you look on the ibanez forums some people swear that the old S are better then the new ones.
^ ya dude the S series has been bent over and raped, who ever is head of the S division is retarded.
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
the S prestiges are now made in Korea (ie are crap).
the S series has been bent over and raped
Just out of sheer curiosity, just how does the interested, observant, and reasonably intelligent observer come to this sort of conclusion, based on the guitar alone (rather than the critiques, which are notably short of specifics)?

I examined mine in detail. Neck? Perfect. Neck pocket? Perfect. Wood quality? Excellent throughout. Pickups? as good as anything. Tremolo? No obvious defects, works as advertised. Knobs, tuners, etc? Standard high quality items. Overall construction and attention to detail? Well, if there are problems they're not in the neck, body, hardware, electronics, bridge, binding, finish, etc. So where are they?

So who am I going to believe, my own eyes or the preteens here repeating what someone else said, who haven't ever actually owned or examined what they're trashing? Does anyone have any statistics (breakage rates? Return rates? Replacement rates?) or is this a matter of someone read somewhere that someone once knew someone who owned one and it broke, but that person neglected to mention that he dropped it off the stage and someone stepped on it...
ive never played that guitar but i own an s series myself and i love it. never had a problem with it.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Quote by acdc51502112

Korean made guitars are not as good as Japan or USA made, but they are certainly not crap
Quote by WtrPlyr
Korean made guitars are not as good as Japan or USA made, but they are certainly not crap

Careful, you'll get a reputation if you keep talking sense round here
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Korean guitars are just fine, I recently had the honor(yes it was a ****ING HONOR) to play an Ibanez SZ5470 brand new at GC. f/ucking delicious, I divebombed till the strings flopped around and came back up and the strings were perfectly in tune.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I have an S2075, basically the same instrument, just a different finish.

I think it's fine, I paid £750 for it and would happily have paid 2 or 3 hundred more, the quality is astounding, especially considering it's Korean..

The only gripe I have are the pickups, but I've swapped them out now anyway.
Funny words.
Quote by WtrPlyr

They aren't crap but they can be. Basically the quality control in Korea has been up and down like a brides nightie for a while. Some are good, others are bad. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it either. What makes it worse for the S series is that the Indonesian made S320 appears to be consistently good. This doesn't say a lot for the Korean QC guys whose necks are all over the shop.

As for the S5470 it has a 430mm radius neck and bridge while the S2170 has a 400mm radius neck but the same 430mm bridge. It's not a big deal in 100ths of mm but if you want to do the pyrotechnics out the fundiment on your guitar then it does.

This mismatch can be fixed with saddle shims from allparts BTW.

Oh and make sure the trem has been installed properly too. There have been a couple of instances where the roller bushings on 2170s weren't straight.
They aren't crap but they can be. Basically the quality control in Korea has been up and down like a brides nightie for a while.
Wanna buy a bridge while you're at it? Korea isn't even a manufacturer, much less an assembly line for a particular product. It's a whole country, whose workers follow the process a company gives them.

Quality is NOT a function of any nation, it's a function of a decision, made by some particular manager of some particular process, as to how much he wishes to cut costs, knowing that too much cost-cutting can impact product quality. And I hope we all realize that certain companies manufacturing in the United States have been as guilty (if not more) as anyone in producing crap for cheap.

I'd much more willingly buy a Toyota or Honda built in Korea, than buy a Mercedes built in Alabama. Take a look at Consumer Reports reliability numbers to see why!
^well said, but the Korean factory is still known through out the ibanez community for producing poor quality ibanez guitars. Why don't you head over to Jemsite and talk to the guys on there, I'm sure they'd agree with me.
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
the s5470 is a great guitar. ive played it for about half an hour and i prefered it to the rg prestiges that i compared it to.
Quote by acdc51502112
S prestiges are now made in Korea (ie are crap).
Crap like Schecters, LTDs, Deans, and all that other crap. Not to mention that S Prestige series have been made in Korea for a good five years now.

Quote by phank
I'd much more willingly buy a Toyota or Honda built in Korea, than buy a Mercedes built in Alabama. Take a look at Consumer Reports reliability numbers to see why!
The analogy doesn't serve your point of quality not being a function of a nation. American-made Toyotas and Hondas still boast the highest quality ratings, while American-made Mercedes do not. And the only thing worse than an American-made Mercedes is a German-made one, complete with the legendary German quality.

Guitars, however, are not quite like that. Car manufacturers tend to build and operate multiple plants to assemble just a handful of models per plant, while there's only a handful of Korean guitar factories which assemble countless instrument lines for a huge number of OEM contractees. Ibby S series guitars are made on the Cort factory, and god knows how many other brands come off the very same assembly line. What always amuses me is when two or more of those very brands are lined up and compared between them, with one being crap and the other awesome. Psh.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The analogy doesn't serve your point of quality not being a function of a nation. American-made Toyotas and Hondas still boast the highest quality ratings, while American-made Mercedes do not. And the only thing worse than an American-made Mercedes is a German-made one, complete with the legendary German quality.
Maybe I didn't make the point as clear as I should have. Toyota and Honda will produce top-quality products no matter where they build them, while Daimler-Benz has let their quality go to hell no matter where they build them either. So my point was, the nation doesn't matter. The COMPANY MANAGEMENT matters.

Guitars, however, are not quite like that. What always amuses me is when two or more of those very brands are lined up and compared between them, with one being crap and the other awesome
The reason I chose cars is, someone (CR) is going to a great deal of expense to collect quality and reliability records, so as to get an accurate statistical description of these. Needless to say, no manufacturer of anything publishes statistical records of their products' bugs, faults, errors, and other problems.

I respectfully suggest that the sort of anecdotal tales here and at the Jemsite fail to give a good indication of statistical norms. Just as an illustration, I have 11 guitars and basses, and 10 of them have been just dandy, no problems with any of them. the 11th has been a nightmare ever since I got it. Guess which of these instruments has generated more posts than all the others combined?

Two of my good ones were made at the Cort facility in Korea. The lemon (my most expensive instrument!) was custom built to order by a famous US luthier. But I can't generalize about anyone's production on such a small sample size, nor from sites that consist largely of complaints. Net discussions are like the news - if it's normal, it's not mentioned.
Yeah don't get me wrong, it isn't a problem with Korea. It's a problem with Ibanez's QC on their Korean lines. When a $400 Korean Ibanez "cheapie" plays better than a $2200 Korean Prestige you have to say something isn't right.
On the other hand the Japanese J Craft Ibanez's are universally adored for their quality construction. They are both great guitars but if you have the choice I would recommend the S5470 purely because you are getting a top notch product. If however you have played the Korean one and the neck is okay and the finish and fittings are all okay then jump on it.
Quote by Slackboy72
It's a problem with Ibanez's QC on their Korean lines. When a $400 Korean Ibanez "cheapie" plays better than a $2200 Korean Prestige you have to say something isn't right.
I don't know who told you that, but they were either wrong or just unlucky with their sample.

Quote by Slackboy72
On the other hand the Japanese J Craft Ibanez's are universally adored for their quality construction.
They can be good value, and they have excellent floating bridges. The quality's on a good level, but it's nothing miraculous. I'm going to say that half of the MIJ RG line is outright not worth the money they ask for it.

Quote by phank
<snip>
Yeah, I was agreeing with you, but all the drug abuse jumbled up the thesis of the post. Yeah, it's not where they build it, it's who builds it. The followup though - and the key difference from the automotive industry - is that in Korea the actual number of manufacturers is fairly low, and thus the many major brands' products come out of those very few factories. So the major brand quality is pretty consistent among Korean imports, and Koreans have gotten pretty good at making guitars. Korean Ibbies from the early 90s were embarrassing, but today's fare is at the very least quite alright.

I'm convinced that in the right hands, both a Korean and a Japanese guitar of similar price would do equally as good. Regardless of the fact that I'll still go out and buy an MIJ or an MIA for personal reasons.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The new Ibanez s5470 is built in japan you know...
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by pifty
I don't know who told you that, but they were either wrong or just unlucky with their sample.

It was me.

I tried all on the same day in two different stores a SA60, S320, S470DXQM, S620EX, S2170FB, RG1570 and S5470.

The 470 and 2170 both felt squarish and awkward. The SA60 felt as good as the 320 and 620. The RG1570 and the S5470 were superb.

Now according to Ibanez the 320, 470 and 620 all have the same neck. I and thousands like me disagree (which is a shame cause I had my heart set on the 470 till I picked it up).
It's not a case of an unlucky sample but inconsistent QC.

For the record I bought the 320 and have the 1570 on lay-by. I may also pick up a 620 too while I save up for next years S5470 (don't like this years colours). All I'm saying is don't buy a Korean made Ibanez without playing it first (i.e. from online via e-store or ebay).
Quote by Slackboy72
<snip>
You make a poor case here. Your definition of lacking quality is that the guitar felt squarish to you? Thousands like you disagree that the Wizard II on Cort guitars is not the same within the model line? Nothing personal, but that's a contrived fallacy.

Until you actually have evidence to support your statements besides "I tried it and it felt awkward", even the army of thousands in your support doesn't convince anyone. It's a perfectly valid way (I'd say the only way) to choose a guitar based on how it feels to you - so you're doing everything right there, but when you use that highly subjective experience to classify the overall quality of the Cort line, it becomes hard to take you seriously.
Go ask the folks on the Ibanez forums and they all report the same issues with the MIKs.
Quote by Slackboy72
Go ask the folks on the Ibanez forums and they all report the same issues with the MIKs.
Ibanez forum scarcely has a thousand active members, just a vocal infantile minority. Back in the day they incessantly whined how the biggest problem with Ibanez was the lack of pink and neon blue guitars and how everything would be right if only Hoshino reissued the 5x0. Then they got their reissues, and started whining how S series needs another two frets and a Fujigen assembly. They got that too, what are they complaining about now?

Sure there are a few people there who will always find something to complain about. How the S2170 doesn't quite match the fit and finish of their '90 S540? Makes me laugh. A '90 S540, economics figured in, would have been a good $3000 guitar today. I attest, they were nice, but not that nice. So those princesses think they feel inconsistencies in Wizard II necks. What else is new? If it wasn't the necks, it would have been the bodies, if it wasn't the bodies, it would've been the poor factory setup out of the box. I'm not even going to mention the butthurt they all had over Korean neck joints being shallow, despite the fact that the J neck joints on RG Prestige were just as shallow.
Quote by Slackboy72
I'm pretty sure your sig says it all for me.

Says what?
Quote by Slackboy72
I'm pretty sure your sig says it all for me.

If you think he's some sort of Ibanez hater because of his sig you not only missed the joke by a mile, but you are so wrong it's almost hilarious.

And Pifty your remarks about the Ibanez forum (and everything else you've said in this thread) are right on. I could never get used to going to that forum, because all they did was complain about things.
PIFTY 1

SLACKBOY 0

Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by T!AN
And Pifty your remarks about the Ibanez forum (and everything else you've said in this thread) are right on. I could never get used to going to that forum, because all they did was complain about things.
It is so, isn't it? Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

I too had trouble communicating with folks who would much rather have a desert yellow pink pinstripe guitar than a high-quality playable one.