Is it possible to get one of those Accutronics reverb tanks used in Fenders and Peavey installed in an tube amp without reverb?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Probably cost an arm and a leg if it's even reasonably possible.

Just get reverb pedal, or a new amp.
It's not very feasible. Possible, but unlikely to be worth your money. Only worth it if you do it yourself and even then you'd need a fair bit of money and know-how, and also ruin your warranty and any resale value.

Or, in a word, no.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Uh... no they run from $25-$50 ne on Ebay.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Well the amp is used, trying to buy it from a classified, so it has no warranty, and it's about 40 years old.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jul 18, 2008,
It's really a lot more complicated than just bolting a tank in. You need to add a reverb drive and recovery circuit - this will mean either adding tubes to the circuit (and an extra transformer in this case) which also involves lots of soldering and heavy drilling, or alternatively an SS reverb which may not even be possible because of the power transformer taps.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by lespaul#1
Uh... no they run from $25-$50 ne on Ebay.

Yeah, cheap to buy but they'll be a bitch to install, that's why it's not worth it. I don't think it's do-it-yourself kind of job either, unless your electrical engineering is up there.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not the pan itself - the work involved. reverb pans are cheap.

And I'm too slow!
Could someone reccomend an authentic surf reverb pedal/ tank.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Well the amp is used, bought from a classified, so it has no warranty, and it's about 40 years old.
Exactly what did you buy? And why would a surf rocker buy an amp without reverb? There are good reverb pedals out there but it really surprises me that you would buy an amp without it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Exactly what did you buy? And why would a surf rocker buy an amp without reverb? There are good reverb pedals out there but it really surprises me that you would buy an amp without it.

Wait.

Wait.

After all 8,546 amp threads TS created he ended up buying a totally different amp?
I'm going to try and buy a '65 Blackface Showman, and for some reason, they have no reverb.
Quote by chip46
Quote by TheProducer
Wait.

Wait.

After all 8,546 amp threads TS created he ended up buying a totally different amp?

Well if you found a great offer (it's $450 and great condition) for a vintage amp, wouldn't you buy it????
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Well if you found a great offer (it's $450 and great condition) for a vintage amp, wouldn't you buy it????

Well I suppose that's a different story. That seems like a good deal, although I couldn't confirm via eBay because:

Your search using Showman returned 0 results. This keyword has been replaced with snowman

Showed me a bunch of bedsheets with snowmen on them.
It's a local classified, not Ebay. BTW I typoed that I bought it, but I'm trying to buy it ASAP.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
It's a local classified, not Ebay.

I know, I was just looking around for prices.
Oh.
Quote by chip46
Quote by TheProducer
Wait.

Wait.

Yep-er-doodle. Well good deal on the amp, now you can afford this....
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender--63-Fender-Reverb-101326213-i1145372.gc
By definition it's surf reverb.
Well there are less expensive options out there.
I'm considering that, but any cheaper options?
Quote by chip46
Pretty much anything would sound surfy with the Showman and the reverb tank.

EDIT: It was bought out from under me.

Lol.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 26, 2008,
I'd prefer to buy the Showman, and the places you posted were a bit far from my house.
Quote by chip46
Quote by TheProducer
At the risk of sounding stupid, if the Fender Twin had reverb what was the point of the Twin Reverb?

Marketing? I haven't looked at the specs of the two, Mr Carrott or Hankey would know off of the top of their heads. Those guys are like Wikipedia of Fender and amps in general. <--- That is not a rip in any way shape.
Quote by gregs1020
Marketing? I haven't looked at the specs of the two, Mr Carrott or Hankey would know off of the top of their heads. Those guys are like Wikipedia of Fender and amps in general. <--- That is not a rip in any way shape.

Yeah, cool. I was just always under the assumption that the Twin didn't have reverb. I've only played the Twin Reverb.

EDIT: Well, it had it. Strange:

After a slight change in appearance, from the rough blonde tolex and maroon grille appearance to a smooth blonde tolex with a silver grille cloth, the Twin-Amp changed both circuit design and appearance in 1964. Along with the rest of Fender's line of instrument amplifiers, the Twin-Amp was covered in black Tolex at this time. Like many of the most popular designs, including the Super Reverb-Amp and the Deluxe Reverb-Amp, the Twin wpould also incorporate an on-board reverb circuit. As opposed to earlier designs that required the use of a stand alone, outboard reverb unit, this new design incorporated a spring-reverb circuit in the combo design. Paired with the Vibrato feature (technically a "tremolo" effect) and the monstrous 80-watts of output, the ability to create instrument sustain through the use of reverb made the blackface Twin-Amp an instant favorote among electric guitarists.
Theres alot of good deals in Hampton roads: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/760057467.html .
Quote by chip46
Lucky. I'm up in Winnipeg, Canada. Take a look at how lame the used gear market is here:

http://winnipeg.en.craigslist.ca/msg/ (Craigslist just blows here no matter what)

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/f-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-W0QQCatIdZ17

http://www.usedwinnipeg.com/classifieds/musical-instruments

http://www.buysell.com/classifieds/Results/Manitoba/1003/1/false/sbName+r+subclass+1_Pg+rw/Musical_Instruments.html

Add that to the fact that US eBay sellers have absurd ideas of how much it actually costs to ship to Canada and it makes me cry.

Coolest thing I saw was vintage Bassman head/cab for $550:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Fender-Bassman-Amplifier-Cabinet-1967-1969-Vintage-W0QQAdIdZ60996877
Dude, that sucks, look at it here: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=fender. Don't know why it says Norfolk, I don't live there.
Quote by chip46
I live in Virginia, just not Norfolk.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I live in Virginia, just not Norfolk.

Oh sorry, I assumed that you lived in NC because of the other guy's posts.
It's ok, it's just that my city is the farthest east border of NC before the ocean.
Quote by chip46
I'm looking at reissues, but I'll be an idiot to give up one of the best surf amps up for it's lack of reverb.
Quote by chip46
Sorry - had to catch a train. Yea that's right, your in Virginia Beach. Clist goes to the last clist site you searched. I tried Richmond, there is this...
http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/758284044.html But it may have an issue and I believe some of the "fender-files" didn't like it. I didn't see anything on the eastern shore site.

Edit: The 59 reissue doesn't have reverb or vibrato. Give that Showman a try, I am sure there is a decent reverb pedal you can find.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 18, 2008,
I might be able to go to Richmond, I'm not sure, what do you guys think I should do, go for the vintage showman or some reissue?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I might be able to go to Richmond, I'm not sure, what do you guys think I should do, go for the vintage showman or some reissue?

Sorry, I don't know much about surf music or reverb really. I know the Showman seems like a good deal, but I suppose it's only as a good of deal as it is useful to you. I'm not sure how good of a reverb a pedal can get vs. an actual reverb tank.
Certainly try the Showman, it would be my first pick over a re-issue. If you do go with a re-issue, for surf I would look at the Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux. You want reverb and vibrato obviously.
Ok, thanks. I didn't want to make a new thread, but nobody revisits my old threads.
Quote by chip46