Page 1 of 2
Here's a good conversation I was having with a buddy of mine.

We were talking about the difficulty of playing the Electric and Acoustic guitar. I personally started on the acoustic guitar and rapidly transitioned to electric. In my opinion, I thought the electric was so much easier. So I told my buddy acoustic needs to be conquered first, before playing electric.

I believe the acoustic guitar really brings out the technique and ability to make music out of a player. Where as the electric somewhat feeds on itself. It can sometimes drive itself (especially if there's distortion and you're dropped to D or C) Playing power chords on the acoustic is dull, boring. Playing real chords is different. So... what do you guys think???
id tend to agree with you. acoustic is definitely harder, but it helps to build your fingers up by having to press down on the strings harder. thats how i did it anyway
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I thought electric and acustic was the same besides sound, effects, and equipment?
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
I think it's really just a matter of opinion. A ridiculously good acoustic player can put any and all shredders to shame, but the best electric players are way out there. In terms of simply sounding good to an untrained audience, I'd say electric is easier. Of course, once you get into the higher levels of musicianship, the difference between the two in terms of difficulty starts to blur.
Quote by cokeisbetter
I think it's really just a matter of opinion. A ridiculously good acoustic player can put any and all shredders to shame, but the best electric players are way out there. In terms of simply sounding good to an untrained audience, I'd say electric is easier. Of course, once you get into the higher levels of musicianship, the difference between the two in terms of difficulty starts to blur.

a very good answer. *claps*
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
They serve completely different purposes, and different things are played on acoustic than electric. Neither one is harder really.
And you don't need to "conquer" acoustic and then switch to electric.
I've never owned an acoustic, and consider myself a half-decent guitar player.
Quote by ocelott
Here's a good conversation I was having with a buddy of mine.

We were talking about the difficulty of playing the Electric and Acoustic guitar. I personally started on the acoustic guitar and rapidly transitioned to electric. In my opinion, I thought the electric was so much easier. So I told my buddy acoustic needs to be conquered first, before playing electric.

I believe the acoustic guitar really brings out the technique and ability to make music out of a player. Where as the electric somewhat feeds on itself. It can sometimes drive itself (especially if there's distortion and you're dropped to D or C) Playing power chords on the acoustic is dull, boring. Playing real chords is different. So... what do you guys think???

No offense, but I don't agree with any of that. I see it as a myth that often gets spread, and as a teacher I always find myself having to debunk that myth.

playing music is equally difficult (or easy) on both acoustic and electric guitars. They are the same instrument. The strings a generally harder to push down (and bend) on the acoustic, but you get used to that within a relatively short time of playing one.

There are no real advantages to playing acoustic 1st. If you start on electric, and decide to go acoustic, its only a matter of getting used to it. (and it doesn't take very long).

As a teacher I would rather a student start on a guitar that will allow him/her to play the music that inspires them.
I've had kids come in with acoustics because someone told their parents that "its better to start with acoustic".... only to find out that what the kid likes can't be played on acoustic. They usually don't last long because they are not interested in it.

My advice:

Get an acoustic guitar because you dig music that features acoustic guitar, not because "its harder and you should learn it 1st".

Get an electric guitar because you dig music that features electric guitar, not because "its easier".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 18, 2008,
I find acoustics more difficult due to the difficulty of fretting and bending. This is just because I'm used to an electric guitar though. It all depends on what you're used to and which one you play more often.
+1 to everything you just said, Munky.

You have to look beyond perceived difficulties and realize that it's just a matter of how you wish to express yourself.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I've had kids come in with acoustics because someone told their parents that "its better to start with acoustic".... only to find out that what the kid likes can't be played on acoustic. They usually don't last long because they are not interested in it.

That's just something the parents make up for the sake of their eardrums
Quote by GuitarMunky
No offense, but I don't agree with any of that. I see it as a myth that often gets spread, and as a teacher I always find myself having to debunk that myth.

playing music is equally difficult (or easy) on both acoustic and electric guitars. They are the same instrument. The strings a generally harder to push down (and bend) on the acoustic, but you get used to that within a relatively short time of playing one.

There are no real advantages to playing acoustic 1st. If you start on electric, and decide to go acoustic, its only a matter of getting used to it. (and it doesn't take very long).

As a teacher I would rather a student start on a guitar that will allow him/her to play the music that inspires them.

My advice:

Get an acoustic guitar because you dig music that features acoustic guitar, not because "its harder and you should learn it 1st".

Get an electric guitar because you dig music that features electric guitar, not because "its easier".

I personally think acoustic brings out that organic essence of music. It is in fact, the particular player's choice... it is. But from what I've seen, acoustic players are able to transition to electric a lot smoother than an electric to acoustic player. Not to mention, most electric players get used to the amp driving the sound... where in the acoustic, you drive.
Acoustic is harder, no doubt. There's a reason why teachers recommend that when an exercise getstoo easy on an electric guitar, that you try it on an acoustic. There's higher action, usually thicker strings, a wound G string, etc. Playing on an acoustic to improve your general ability is like swimming with small weights on your limbs (good swimmers train that way).

As far as which one to conquer first, it should be whatever guitar he currently owns. However, I would suggest to a true beginner to buy an acoustic first. You'll usually get a higher quality acoustic acoustic guitar for $100-200 than an electric for that price. Also, you don't need an amp, which is also expensive.
Quote by GuitarMunky

My advice:

I agree 100%, acoustic and electric are equally hard... why would acoustic be harder than electric, it doesn't make sense to me. Why would electric be harder? It depends on what you do. A finger style acoustic player will have trouble learning sweep picking and an electric guitar player would probably have trouble learning some classical songs.
I don't really think either one is more or less difficult than the other.

I will say, however, that some of the first commonly learned aspects are different.

On acoustic, most people generally learn open chords, and probably some fingerpicking first. With electric, I see lots of people playing only power chords. IT makes sense because open chords sound good on acoustic, just as power chords work better on electric.

But, learning to finger pick open chords is certainly more difficult than strumming some power chords.

But really, all these things vary depending on the person. So its pretty much impossible to say one is harder than the other.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
^ Agreed. Depends on what you play... but I define music as something transending. Natural. To me sweep picking's not very transending. To me. Electric guitar, of course, as everything else in life, has it's difficult quests... a lot which I have not conquered yet... but i think the quest of "squeezing" sounds out of a natural piece of wood and strings with no amp... is more of a challenge.
Quote by Eirien
That's just something the parents make up for the sake of their eardrums

LOL maybe in some cases. I've heard it said many times though... " I heard your supposed to start on acoustic 1st".....

hehe sorry, these types of myths are a personal pet peeve because I've had to deal with the consequences.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 18, 2008,
acoustic is harder on your fingers. However I would say that electric is a bit harder overall, because acoustic you don't have to worry about muting as much. My cousin played acoustic guitar only for a couple years, got pretty decent and learned a few scales. He came over to my house and I handed him my Strat and turned on some overdrive. It was not good. He played it like it was an acoustic, notes rang together like crazy. I turned the overdrive off and he was fine. This is also why I laugh whenever I see a comment on youtube saying "but can you play it with no distortion?" The answer is yes, yes I can, it's much easier that way.
the same exercises on an acoustic will usually be harder than on an electric, but for playing, they are different beasts. that just comes down to the strings and action. electrics play easier on the fingers for pressure, but acoustics generally seem to be easier to jump around on chords. i play jazz chords and whatnot a bit sloppy on an electric till im warmed up, where i usually can get the fingering right right away on an acoustic, but have more trouble getting good pressure, expecially on my first finger when im barring and picking chords till ive had 5 mins of so to go at it.
Well, if you are an experienced player, none would be significantly more difficult than the other. However, if you are a complete beginner.. i personally feel acoustic is alot harder than electric(i started on acoustic too :O).

My beginner acoustic was a pretty budget one, which might be the cause of problems but.. the gauge of the strings + crazy action killed my fingers and really made me work alot harder to fret. When i got my first electric, barring was pretty much a breeze from there.

My personal opinion.
Acoustic guitars are harder to play. It doesnt mean that you are better
if u play one.

Acoustic guitars can make more soulful songs at times...but the
electric can create sounds that arent possible unplugged.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by GuitarMunky
LOL maybe in some cases. I've heard it said many times though... " I heard your supposed to start on acoustic 1st".....

hehe sorry, these types of myths are a personal pet peeve because I've had to deal with the consequences.

lol you know, in school, my art teacher openly admitted i was a better artist. i've heard your stuff man. it's good. but in a year, i'll be flying right past ya... and it's not an opinion. so take a chill pill...
It depends on the styles and what not. Saying something like "Percussive instrumental guitar is easier than Neoclassical Metal" is BS, because they are both completely different styles of playing that make use of totally different techniques and devices.
Quote by ocelott
but in a year, i'll be flying right past ya... and it's not an opinion
I'll believe that when I hear it.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
It all depends on what exactly you're going to be playing on these guitars. It's completely ridiculous to state that one instrument is intrinsically harder than the other.

I agree with GuitarMunky. I started off as quite a metalhead, and was having a go at Yngwie's Arpeggios From Hell within six months of starting guitar. I don't think I would or could've done that if I started on an acoustic guitar. I had no interest in playing lame powerchord stuff either.

You're not going to tell me that that is any easier than playing a few open chords on acoustic. In reverse, if you're going to be trying Tommy Emmanuel songs and comparing them to a powerchord song on electric, of course it's gonna be harder.

Just start with what you want your main instrument to be. You can't really practice good vibrato on acoustic, nor bending, nor muting open string noise, nor all the other little nuances that make a good electric guitar player a good electric guitar player, and vice versa.

And ocelott... Get off your ivory tower. Listen to yourself. Distortion is evil? Retarded is spelled with two d's, and I'll be sure to let those killer fusion players like Wayne Krantz, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed, Greg Howe and tons more know they're just "scale jumping". I'm sure they'll take it into account.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i'm not even going to argue. lol not even worth it. state opinions please. they are all appreciated.
Last edited by ocelott at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by ouchies
Everyone thinks acoustic is harder for your fingers.. electric could be just as hard if you like higher gauge strings. I use higher gauge strings on my guitar than some of my friend's acoustic guitars

+1

I usually use 13 gauge or even some baritone strings for my electric and it murders my fingers if I don't play everyday on them.

My friends usually use 8-10 gauge. They rarely even like picking up one of my guitars
Quote by ocelott
lol you know, in school, my art teacher openly admitted i was a better artist. i've heard your stuff man. it's good. but in a year, i'll be flying right past ya... and it's not an opinion. so take a chill pill...

Yes, it is an opinion. You made this thread to share opinions, and no one really wants to hear you toot your own horn with absolutely nothing to back this up.

Respect other people's opinions and deflate your ego a little.
Quote by :-D
Yes, it is an opinion. You made this thread to share opinions, and no one really wants to hear you toot your own horn with absolutely nothing to back this up.
You know how, if you piss off a cop, said officer will find a way to write you a ticket? Welp, our friend ocelott isn't really violating any rules by bloviating in such a way, but double posting is spam=*reported*

Yay for me.
Quote by ocelott

LOL

all I have to say is read my sig.
shred is gaudy music
lol there is... a lot of self-delusion everywhere in life. talk is cheap. so as it stands... i'm worthless. but why am i so happy?
Last edited by ocelott at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You know how, if you piss off a cop, said officer will find a way to write you a ticket? Welp, our friend ocelott isn't really violating any rules by bloviating in such a way, but double posting is spam=*reported*

Yay for me.

i love you too lol i'm not trying to be a jerk... it's just that opinions, shared, discussed, even argued opinions, are much better than "well...i'm captain knowitall, and i'm right." rookies will hear that and get scared. no need for that.
Quote by ocelott
are much better than "well...i'm captain knowitall, and i'm right." rookies will hear that and get scared. no need for that.

but in a year, i'll be flying right past ya... and it's not an opinion.

DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101

my point is... that other people blow their horns. but i love speaking my mind... i can read thru indirect comments. as inocent as they sound. so i'm the bad guy. for saying... whoa there black stallion... i know you know... but slow your roll. my comment was simply frustrated humility. i'm not here to follow... i'm here for opinions. i already have know it alls to follow. folks like john mayer, dave matthews...etc.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Acoustic guitars are harder to play. It doesnt mean that you are better
if u play one.

Acoustic guitars can make more soulful songs at times...but the
electric can create sounds that arent possible unplugged.

I find much more emotion in an electric guitar than an acoustic anyday. But that's just my opinion.
Quote by Phoenix322
I find much more emotion in an electric guitar than an acoustic anyday. But that's just my opinion.

i agree when it comes to playing blues. that's the plus... you can carry notes on electric. extend notes longer. is that possible on acoustic?
Quote by ocelott
my comment was simply frustrated humility.

Saying that you'll (for sure) be better than someone is an example of humility? Guess the rest of us need to go back and have a look in a dictionary, because that happens to be the opposite of what basically everybody believes it to mean.
Page 1 of 2