Page 4 of 23
how did it die?
is it making loud popping noises?
does it still work, just with a drastic volume reduction?
are the tubes glowing differently?
does it just not powerup at all?

come on man, i need to know this stuff to help! lol
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
So what are everybody's thoughts on the Mini Colossal? Is it quality? Can it get loud enough by itself?

For gigs... I play with my friends mostly alternative stuff, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. with drums and bass and everything. I play at church, and in a big band jazz group too.

I just want to be sure I can be heard with it. I figure since my little 10 year old 1x8 solid state Fender Frontman amp (lolololol) is loud enough, a quality Peavey product will be.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by bjovi400
how did it die?
is it making loud popping noises?
does it still work, just with a drastic volume reduction?
are the tubes glowing differently?
does it just not powerup at all?

come on man, i need to know this stuff to help! lol

i took it off standby to ON position, i heard a loud CRACK CRACK CREAK POP POP and then the light faded off really fast. No status lights or anything

Amp was unresponsive to anything after that, won't even turn on to show status lights. I took it to a tech and the diagnostic is like $30, which i dont have right now LOL

I should have cracked it open really quick and posted pictures so one of you could help me but its too late for that now.. it wasnt the output transformer or anything, the ohms was right and the cable was connected

and to answer the above question the mini colossal is great, but for $500 it is not worth it at all. It's essentially half of a JSX crammed into 5 watts.

You might as well spend $300 more on a used JSX head.
if nothing works anymore, it sounds to me like a fuse
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by Exo M7
So what are everybody's thoughts on the Mini Colossal? Is it quality? Can it get loud enough by itself?

For gigs... I play with my friends mostly alternative stuff, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. with drums and bass and everything. I play at church, and in a big band jazz group too.

I just want to be sure I can be heard with it. I figure since my little 10 year old 1x8 solid state Fender Frontman amp (lolololol) is loud enough, a quality Peavey product will be.

Yeah I think it has pretty good quality, although the one I tried at GC wasn't really working lol.

And 5w tube amps can get very loud, my little palomino can. You might just want some bigger speakers or something.

But isn't it like 400-500 bucks? You could get an Ultra or Triple XXX for that price probably, and those easily be loud enough.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah I think it has pretty good quality, although the one I tried at GC wasn't really working lol.

And 5w tube amps can get very loud, my little palomino can. You might just want some bigger speakers or something.

But isn't it like 400-500 bucks? You could get an Ultra or Triple XXX for that price probably, and those easily be loud enough.

which Guitar Center? the one in Towson or Glen Burnie?

The one in Towson is closest to me and they have had a JSX stack for months now.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

oh oh oh oh yeah that Rockville one is REAL far away from me. lol

and yea he was but i was just saying how the Towson GC rarely has any of the popular amps aside from a JSX, EVH 5150 III, and some used Marshalls. So i have yet had the pleasure of playing on the Mini Colossal, 6505 (played the + though), XXX combo (played the stack), or a single JCM 800 or 900.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Each guitar center in maryland is like an hour away from me, but in like a circle around me lol. So do you think the Glen burnie one is better than the townson one? I've been to each one on separate trips, the one that used to be a car selling place, not sure which one that is.
I really hate it when i buy new gear i find better gear for cheap on craigslist.
there was a guy moving so he was selling his mesa dual rec for $600.
Today i found a jsx for $650
Actually, I found the Mini Colossal to sound nothing like the JSX.
It has a natural breakup the harder you pick, but the overdrive doesn't sound like any of the JSX's 3 channels. Closest would be the crunch channel, but the tone isn't the same and the gain is thinner, weaker and drier sounding. Come to think of it, I liked the Valveking Royal 8 better.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
It might be Mini but its definitly not Colossal. Its a terrible amp, sounds really bad. Theres nowhere near enough gain coming out of it to get a passable rock tone, it's much better with a tube screamer in front of it or something but as a stand alone amp its just sucks balls.
Just posting to see if anyone could help me with this problem I am having. I recently bought a Triple XXX head and cab and about 2 weeks ago something happened to it. When ever I am playing on the ultra or church channels and I stop playing i get a whole ton feedback, but this doesn't happen when I'm on the clean channel. Any help would be good. Thanks.
Quote by yoyodunno
Did you try lowering the gain knob?

Do you know if the pickups on the guitar are microphonic/not wax potted?
The Triple XXX also has active eq controls on the crunch and ultra channels. When these dials are set high they actually add output to the preamp, which increases noise and feedback. I generally don't have any of my JSX's eq dials past 6. I find that to be the breaking point. I also don't find any reason to go higher on those controls.
If you also have the gain dials set very high, you will experience a great deal of noise and squealing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by BigD225
Just posting to see if anyone could help me with this problem I am having. I recently bought a Triple XXX head and cab and about 2 weeks ago something happened to it. When ever I am playing on the ultra or church channels and I stop playing i get a whole ton feedback, but this doesn't happen when I'm on the clean channel. Any help would be good. Thanks.

it didnt make this sound when you first bought it?

if it just began doing it a few weeks ago, it sounds to me kinda like a tube going microphonic

Hey, yoyodunno your Super 40 can do Killswitch type of stuff right?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 4, 2008,
I've never played any Killswitch Engage stuff, but it can definitely get enough gain for what I just listened to which was My Curse. Lemme go try the riff to it.

oh also I finally figured out how to dial out some of the harsh highs to get the bluesy type of metal tone that i like better, what i did was take off a lot of the treble and i mean a lot, and also take off a good bit of mids, and then add my bad monkey od. And it gives a nice smooth tone for the ultra channel and a not bad blues/hard rock tone for the crunch channel.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Nov 4, 2008,
If my tube is going microphonic does that mean I just have to buy a new tube? If so how do i figure out it if is my preamp tube or one of the power ones. Thanks.
Well my Ultra plus is working again

Just replaced the fuses, and will replace the tubes as soon as i get money..
Quote by BigD225
If my tube is going microphonic does that mean I just have to buy a new tube? If so how do i figure out it if is my preamp tube or one of the power ones. Thanks.

A tube going microphonic can just mean that it'll be more noisy and annoying with outside noises

just look at them, if one or more is beginning to glow weirdly or isn't at all, or has black stuff around it, there you go!

you may just want to take a pencil or something and lightly tap the top of each tube, if im not mistaken, that can tell you if it's microphonic
Ibanez AEL 12-string

So i was considering buying either the triple X combo or Ultra since they have them both in my local store which would be more versatile and can i get a decent tone stock ? and also are the self biasing ? thanks for any help , much appreciated
^ Both are good amps, its what ever you prefer, they are both similar. The ultra is fixed bias and the Triple x has a bias sweep that is adjustable buy the user from the out side of the amp.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I need some sound clips/demos/recordings for the first post. anyone have any done up?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Hopefully soon i will be a proud owner of a JSX.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Quote by bjovi400
I need some sound clips/demos/recordings for the first post. anyone have any done up?

IbanezPsycho has some Ultra clips and I doubt he would mind at all but you could ping him first....havn't seen him on in a while (week of so).

Someone on here just got a JSX and did some Youtube clips but I don't remember his username.
just got a xxx combo and I get a slight pop when switching from clean to ultra...is this common or is this a problem?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
as long as it isnt abnormally irritating, and beginning to worry you, it should be fine. It could possibly be a power tube?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I just got my XXX Super 40 today, and it's awesome. Since i've never played on the combo version before, i definitely noticed it is much brighter sounding than i was hoping, but it's still waaaaay capable of metal territory. Another thing i noticed is that the Crunch channel with the gain really high is darker than the Ultra...?

the cleans are sparkly and warm, it has PLENTY of volume. I cracked it wide open with the volume around 6 and the volume boost a few notches up, and it shines! With the added volume boost, i get a Recto chuggy sound.

I'm going to look into mods later on down the road to darken it up a bit.

Ill throw some pics up tomorrow!
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Yeah dude, it's funny how the crunch channel is darker. I guess the lead channel wants to be heard more, but something you can do to help, is cut loads of treble from the ultra channel and mids. And with my sg, there can be some almost convincing marshall tones from the crunch channel too.

What power tubes are in your triple xxx? I have el34's but I want to try 6L6's just for fun for more of a recto tone.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah dude, it's funny how the crunch channel is darker. I guess the lead channel wants to be heard more, but something you can do to help, is cut loads of treble from the ultra channel and mids. And with my sg, there can be some almost convincing marshall tones from the crunch channel too.

What power tubes are in your triple xxx? I have el34's but I want to try 6L6's just for fun for more of a recto tone.

im assuming that everything on it is stock, so 6L6's. But i haven't gone over the tubes except to see if they are all good. Ill check further tomorrow.

I can get a really nice recto chug with the volume boost and treble up. lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 23, 2008,
well, i was dead wrong at guessing what tubes were in it. lmao

i checked today, and i have 2 JJ KT77's and 4 old Fender 12AT7's

The 12AT7's seem like they could be the culprit for the abnormal brightness
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Holy moly, 4 12AT7's. I've never heard of anyone doing that drastic lol. But if it had KT77's then that person that owned it before probably had experimented with it before, cause I hear KT77's are the best tubes for the triple xxx.
Quote by yoyodunno
Holy moly, 4 12AT7's. I've never heard of anyone doing that drastic lol. But if it had KT77's then that person that owned it before probably had experimented with it before, cause I hear KT77's are the best tubes for the triple xxx.

really? they look almost brand new, so im just lookin at changin the preamp tubes
Ibanez AEL 12-string

interesting. i couldn't tell last night cause it sounds very recto-y... and bright, crisp, and crunchy. but that may be from the 12at7's.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

^12AT7 and the triple XXX go well together as long as you have at least one 12AX7 in either the V2 or V3 spot, IMO with 12at7 in both these positions the amp looses to much of its thickness and really sounds thin and dull. I have found that one in the V1 position and the V2 really smooths out the gain and makes the crunch channel much more tweakable for lighter stuff, also makes the clean channel more warm and full. I did not like the amp at all with 12At7s in both V2 and 3, although one in V4 might be okay to smooth things out a bit more, since its the phase inverter, it will not drive you power tubes as hard which can be a good thing, I have never tried one there, but I know many guitarist that do a lot lead work add a 12at7 to the phase inverter and that seems to really smooth out any amp.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
In your opinion, how is the KT77's?

and what tubes should i replace the 12AT7's with?

Its either gonna be EH 12ax7 or Tungsol's

thanx
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 25, 2008,
Hey dude, I found another cool thing about the triplexxx super 40. You know the volume boost thing? Well just dime that, and I think the tone is a little better and saturated and brings out the power tube character more.

Right now i have EH 12ax7's and one sovtek in the PI, but those were from the previous owner. I think the Tungsol's are probably better tho. And hey if you don't like the KT77's give em to me lol, i wanna try some.