Page 5 of 23
ill probably keep the KT77's until i get the money or opportunity to try out some 6L6's. but if i do get rid of em, ill sell em to u for cheap.

lame questions, but wth does 'dimed' mean? and which spot is the Phase Inverter, the tube thats like right next to the powertube base? you know, it has 3 in-line and one sort of buy the PT.

and i talked to Colin through PM and he suggested a JJ's and Shuguang mix. Im interested in trying them. lol
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 26, 2008,
Haha, dimed as in turning the knob to ten- all the way up.

And yeah i'm pretty sure the PI slot is the one right next to the power tubes, and isn't inline with the other preamp tubes. But, the only reason I know that is because mine is a Sovtek LPS which is usually only used in the PI. Although, I probably should have known since it is next to the PT like you said.

So ur gonna get JJ & Shuguang 12AX7's? I've never even heard of shuguang.
i think their Chinese made. im curious as to whether or not Guitar Center has them.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

hey guys i have a 60W version of the peavey XXX combo 1x12 and i want to change the speaker do i get a 60 watt version and 16 ohms cause theres a switch the in back thats 16/8/4 and im really nub to this so what do i get ?
^ Get a 16 ohm speaker, the wattage is not all that important as long as its rated for 60 watts or more, better to find a speaker that can handle 80-100 watts if you plan to really drive the power amp. If you are not getting power tube break up then a 60 watt speaker will work as well, but if you push the tubes pretty hard its possible to blow your speaker.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
hey yoyo(dude, whats your name so i dont have to call you yoyo ), what is the GND Polarity switch on the back do? right now, its in the middle position. It sounds electrical, so im not touchin it! lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Nov 28, 2008,
I read that it's for taking away amp hum. I guess maybe if the socket you're plugging into is bad(i really have no idea). I tried switching it, but didn't notice any difference.

-Andrew(there ya go lol)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
IbanezPsycho has some Ultra clips and I doubt he would mind at all but you could ping him first....havn't seen him on in a while (week of so).

Someone on here just got a JSX and did some Youtube clips but I don't remember his username.

That would be me I think, check my sig at the bottom for youtube link . . .
Hey guys, I have EL34's in my JSX and I'm thinking I need a retube soon (I gig at least 2-3 times a month, and have been with this amp for about a year and a half), and since I bought the amp used anyways it probably wouldn't hurt.

I play ska/alternative rock. Basically highs/mids are important, but I don't want them icepicky. EQ goes a long way, but in case I should be using another kind of tubes, what do you guys recommend? I have JJ's in there right now. My cabinet has vintage 30's loaded in it, too, if that helps.
JJ 6L6GC's, and a nice rebias job
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by guitarinchris
Hey guys, I have EL34's in my JSX and I'm thinking I need a retube soon (I gig at least 2-3 times a month, and have been with this amp for about a year and a half), and since I bought the amp used anyways it probably wouldn't hurt.

I play ska/alternative rock. Basically highs/mids are important, but I don't want them icepicky. EQ goes a long way, but in case I should be using another kind of tubes, what do you guys recommend? I have JJ's in there right now. My cabinet has vintage 30's loaded in it, too, if that helps.

Id check out JJ KT-77's if i were you. My buddy put them in his JSX and they sound awesome. Definitely putting them in mine next time i retube. Theyre said to be a mix between 6l6s and el34s.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
hi just bought a XXX 112. for general gigging.
i find when the master is above 2 o'clock, and a channel is at a similar volume, the amp starts to go mental. feeding back, now i gig uk pub venues and am unavoidably quite close to the amp most of the time (usually aroun 5M).
does this sound like a problem with the amp.
i should point out that the amp has been recently tested and passed but i dont know if it was serviced or just pat tested as this was before i had it.
my main guitar is an ibanez RG with stock IBZ/Dimarzio pups

oh and this is my first tube amp. i have used Line 6 gear till now.
Ta
I may take a stab at retubing my JSX Combo. Has anyone here done theirs yet and could you please tell me if you have to remove the head from the rest of the combo, or is there room if you take the metal tube guard off?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I may take a stab at retubing my JSX Combo. Has anyone here done theirs yet and could you please tell me if you have to remove the head from the rest of the combo, or is there room if you take the metal tube guard off?

um you've never ckeck out the tubes in any amp before? please explain what you mean
Ibanez AEL 12-string

nice, only it will probably close to the same price as the current one
Ibanez AEL 12-string

why were xxx combos discontinued? in 5 minutes of playing i was in love.
how much would one normally cost on ebay in pounds? i cant see any right now

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
^I Don't know why the Triple combos were discoed, as soon as the JSX combo came out the triple xxx combos where phased out, maybe a lack of demand since its geared more towards the metal/hardrock scene where half stacks are the popular choice. I have a triple 212 combo and love it as well, very versatile amp that sounds killer, with JJ EL34s my amp really came to life, great Marshall tones on the crunch and the ultra channel can really get a convincing recto tone with a much tighter low end. As far as cost in the the USA the 212 combos usually go for 600-800 dollars, with 60's going for 500-650 and the 40's for 450-600. In the UK prices are probably going to be quite a bit more. If I were in the UK I would probably look into Laney's unless I was just dead set on the Triple XXX.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^I Don't know why the Triple combos were discoed, as soon as the JSX combo came out the triple xxx combos where phased out, maybe a lack of demand since its geared more towards the metal/hardrock scene where half stacks are the popular choice. I have a triple 212 combo and love it as well, very versatile amp that sounds killer, with JJ EL34s my amp really came to life, great Marshall tones on the crunch and the ultra channel can really get a convincing recto tone with a much tighter low end. As far as cost in the the USA the 212 combos usually go for 600-800 dollars, with 60's going for 500-650 and the 40's for 450-600. In the UK prices are probably going to be quite a bit more. If I were in the UK I would probably look into Laney's unless I was just dead set on the Triple XXX.

that i am thanks for the help, i guess it wont be taken if its been in the shop that long, so i don't need a bugera maybe...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Hey guys,

I have a peavey JSX head that I bought used, and I've decided that I need to replace the tubes...would JJ tesla 6L6GC power tubes and JJ Tesla ECC803 12ax7 preamp tubes be a good replacement if I'm looking for high gain, modern metal tones?
it should definitely change the tones a bit from the EL34 chrunchy-ness.

I can't seem to remember for the life of me if the JSX has a bias switch or not. Either way, 6L6's should beef it up
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Yeah, i saw the bias switch, so it'll be fine, thanks for your help! so 12ax7's are the correct preamp tubes to use? sorry, I'm new to tube amps, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the right types.
You can mix and match preamp tubes. Some people go with 12AT7 if they want a smooter less gainy sound for example. Can you download the users manual? Another idea is to contact eurotubes.com and get their input.

JJs are darker
Tungsols are brighter - that's all I know
does the peavey triple x 60 watt combo have a cathode follower stage because i was thinking about buying tung sol 12a7x preamps but on some other thread it said that they will die if my amp had this stage. it would be awesome if someone could recommend some good power amp tubes for thrash metal. sry im such a noob on tubes.
Quote by locosenor13
Hey guys,

I have a peavey JSX head that I bought used, and I've decided that I need to replace the tubes...would JJ tesla 6L6GC power tubes and JJ Tesla ECC803 12ax7 preamp tubes be a good replacement if I'm looking for high gain, modern metal tones?

Yes. Order the high gain set from Eurotubes if possible. Also, order the multimeter and bias probe also, they are only $35 and they make biasing the JSX a complete breeze. Install tubes, bias amp @ 36ma for 6L6's.
Quote by whoswt
does the peavey triple x 60 watt combo have a cathode follower stage because i was thinking about buying tung sol 12a7x preamps but on some other thread it said that they will die if my amp had this stage. it would be awesome if someone could recommend some good power amp tubes for thrash metal. sry im such a noob on tubes.

No cathode follwer stages on the Triple X.
Taken from another thread:

Is this the XXX & 6505 smashed together in one super amp?

and finally, the 50w JSX

There are plenty more where these are coming from, Original Thread
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 16, 2009,
Yo guys. I just got my new JSX head last week or something, but do you think I should invest in a TS9 to tighten up the sound?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
just a random bump

the XXX is awesome.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

It's a sad day, my triple xxx won't work. :'( The first 3 preamp tubes light up, but after that none of the rest of the tubes light up, someone in the tube thread told me it might be the HT fuse so I'll have to check that out.
If the first 3 light and the rest don't, you think it couldn't be the phase inverter tube thats dead? that tube is what is supposed to 'drive' the power tubes? soooo idk
Ibanez AEL 12-string

eww... that's not a good sign. you could use a voltometer thing to check if there is any current going to the tubes???? or......something....

idk. take it to a tech because that doesn't sound good. lol

you could try Guitar Center, and then take it to a small mom & pop kind of music store to see if they get the same result (what ever it is that GC finds)
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400

I know this is a somewhat old post, but the similarities between the 3120 and the 6505 are few and far between.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
have you personally played the 3120?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
have you personally played the 3120?

Obviously. I mean, I was at NAMM and all...

I'm just going off by specs if you haven't noticed yet.
But it just wouldn't make sense to discontinue the XXX (apparently a lot of people like the tone), and make the newer amp sound like the 6505: especially since they cost almost the same amount. If it really did convincing 6505 tones, then the 6505 would probably be discontinued too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
or it's an amp mixed with different characteristics of both amps. It has the same EQ set up and switchable bias switch like the XXX, but maybe the gain characteristics of the 6505 on the ultra channel. Who said anything about Peavey having to discontinue their greatest selling amps? this could just be another brand spankin' new amp that combines the best of both worlds

Ibanez AEL 12-string