In light of all the other "only VK thread," "speaker thread,"etc, I decided it would be a good idea to make a pickup thread. A place where people can give suggestions, talk about their pickups or ask questions. It'll stop everyone from starting a new thread..... hopefully.

p.s. If there's already one of these post a link and i'll delete this one but i sure couldn't find it.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Wow, good idea. Also maybe pickup reviews?
Anyway I've got a noobish question:
Are the pickups in Acoustic-Electric guitars active or passive or do they use a different method?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
I'm not sure but i'd almost guarantee 100% they're passive
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4

Anyway, good idea, but I thought this had been done before. And yea, I believe the pickups used in most electro-acoustics are passive.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
haha you\ve been waiting to use that one hey haha. I couldn\t find another only pickups thread but if there is one post a link someone so i can delete this one
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by JMcG92
Are the pickups in Acoustic-Electric guitars active or passive or do they use a different method?

It depends, if its a preamp type pickup using a microphone, or it uses a piezo then it may well be active. I bought a soundhole pickup and it's passive.
Quote by tomsy49
haha you\ve been waiting to use that one hey haha. I couldn\t find another only pickups thread but if there is one post a link someone so i can delete this one

It only just come to mind actually, but I've had the song stuck in my head all day >.>

^ And yes, I forgot about piezos.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Also, when somebody adds a review, make sure they don't just say "they rulee loloollolololol", have them list the amp and guitar at least.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Also, when somebody adds a review, make sure they don't just say "they rulee loloollolololol", have them list the amp and guitar at least.

Seriously...

Don't review your first guitars stock pick-ups played through your practice amp and rave about how awesome they sound.

I wouldn't mind doing a couple of reviews, I've bought a few sets of after market pick-ups. Right now I have Dimarzio Evos, Dimarzio Breeds, and EMG 81/85 set. So if there is interest in reviews I will gladly help out. I think this is a good idea seeing as there are so many pick-ups out there and its not an easy thing to shop for.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I think it is a good idea and I'm not so sure there is one. Don't know. Personally, I think we need one for effects or effects pedals too.

OK.

I have a Standard MIM Strat HSS and thought the stock humbucker was lacking so I got a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB on an impulsive buy and bought the wrong thing. For one, I learned that the JB is a very 'bright' pup and would make my 'bright' strat sound to too trebly. Additionally, I didn't get the rigth size pup for a Strat. I needed a Trembucker (TB) which is a Duncan term (vs F Spaced where F = Fender) so I needed to return it. Right?

So, I called Duncan's cust serv and told them my situation. Because the JB was already installed I would have to send that in and then wait for the new one. No guitar for maybe 2 weeks right? -Well, they ended up doing an advanced exhange to where they took my credit card#, sent me the new one, and then I sent the old one back after I swapped. Sweet deal.

So guess what I got? A Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom. Best way to describe it is it has more of a 'brown' sound of classic rock meets blues and metal. Fairly high gain without being annoying or sounding tinny. Nice and warm. That's my story.

Amps are in sig and I'm using a 250K pot. Bottom line, don't impulse buy. Come here to UG and research and ask first.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 18, 2008,
Yeah, good idea. Anyone have any opinions on Custom Shop '69 Fender pickups? I ordered some this week and they are arriving in 3 days, I'm excited to get them up and running. I was pissed though, I have an HSS strat and expected there to be a 500k pot; NO, Fender left a 250k pot in for the humbucker. =/ waste of money on the pots. Anyway, I'll do a little review for the front page.

Tex-Mex Pickups Review: I have had Tex Mex in my neck and middle positions of my fender strat, and a Diamondback humbucker in the bridge position for two years. After some time, I decided to take a step away from them to do some more clean, original and less hot tones.

From my experience, Tex Mex's aren't what you would call a "bad" pickup. They sound decent, not much hum, they come close to that strat quack tone that we all want... and ALMOST gets there, but not quite. They are alittle too overwound for my tastes, they get muddy quickly when played with high gain. Best pickup to imitate SRV for the money. There's better, but not for the price.

The diamondback humbucker is a different story. I am so fed up with it that I am converting to SSS. It sounds so out of place on a strat it's not even funny. It lacks bass response, but also lacks the warm dynamic range that you'd expect a light humbucker to do in the bridge position. Its just not a good pickup. =(
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 18, 2008,
Notice how the speaker thread has multiple posts full of info. This is originated as a discussion forum... Which is what UG is.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^SlinkyBlue - I bet that will be a sweet sound...let us know or post some clips.

Pots are cheap and I thought about swapping that around as well for 500k and maybe I will some day but I think mine sounds fine as it is so I'm leaving it for now.

how much did those set you back by the way?
Quote by JMcG92

most of the time they are passive pickups installed, and usually they toss a piezo in there depending on the guitar...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^SlinkyBlue - I bet that will be a sweet sound...let us know or post some clips.

Pots are cheap and I thought about swapping that around as well for 500k and maybe I will some day but I think mine sounds fine as it is so I'm leaving it for now.

how much did those set you back by the way?

The total order, with the black pickguard, pots (which are useless to me now) and the pickups...

CS69's - $189.99
Pickguard - $19.99
Two 250kPots - $5.99 each

The total was around $222.50 if I recall correctly.

I'm putting the CS69's in a Ash body strat, I'm really curious to see how they react with the amplified bass in my guitar's body with the heavier wood.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison