My band is looking to record with a friend who is good at recording but not exactly the same style that we play. He records more Indie type of stuff. I just wanted to know some tips on recording vocals, gang vocals, and just little stuff to make the recordings sound decent.
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Hardcore punk like Miles Away? or hardcore punk like Black Flag? either way, I guess what I'm about to suggest applies to both. For gang vocals, some people will advise doing it two people at a time, trust me on this one, you'll get a much better sound if you do them all at once, with a group of people surrounding a condenser with out a pop screen. What else was I gunna say, hmm i'm still really hung over, i'll expand on that in a couple of hours.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Either/Or really. Thanks for the tip. I've recorded before but it was more towards metalcore and that kind of stuff. And we recorded gang vocals all at once as well, and it didn't sound good.

Thanks!
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Quote by chris_122
Either/Or really. Thanks for the tip. I've recorded before but it was more towards metalcore and that kind of stuff. And we recorded gang vocals all at once as well, and it didn't sound good.

Thanks!

Yeah no problem dude, also make sure you have more than one decent sounding guitar head at the studio, it makes it much easier to get separation between the 3 or 4 guitar tracks you would have for each riff if you can dial up different tones for each one if that makes sense, that way you can have a really thick instumental pocket without it sounding sludgy and undifined.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
I've done hardcore punk stuff along the lines of Minor Threat, Black Flag, etc.

For that sort of thing, I find less is more. Four guitar tracks? It's punk! Not Def Leppard!! (as much as Mutt Lange is my favourite producer, those same techniques really undermine the aesthetic of this sort of music.)

Keep it way simple. The more space a guitar has to 'live in' in the mix, the more it will expand to fill the space. (so long as you dial in a good sound to begin with)

I'll second the everyone around one mic bit. It sounds more live. For our album, we had multiple takes of each person on their own mic, which allowed for a lot of combining, recombining and processing... but we're closer to Def Leppard than Minor Threat.

Resist the temptation of doing too many layers of backing vocals. Same reason.

Don't fiddle too much with drum processing. Get a good sound and go with it, but fly up a couple of overheads, a kick, a snare, maybe another spot mic for a floor tom or something. Going overboard comes across as too processed which ruins the vibe.

Thought of the day: If you took Blink 182 and gave them a more stripped down production, they'd probably sound like a punk band.

For an example, check out www.greenroomrecording.ca and go to Audio Samples/Recordings for Sale and you'll hear the difference. Die Hard Losers and Subversives are both hardcore bands that came in and did like 8 songs in a single day. Stripped down, trashy and dirty. (also both groups were kids, like 17 years old kind of thing) By comparison, Now-Here-This is a more 'full on' production with layered guitars, vocals, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I've done hardcore punk stuff along the lines of Minor Threat, Black Flag, etc.

For that sort of thing, I find less is more. Four guitar tracks? It's punk! Not Def Leppard!! (as much as Mutt Lange is my favourite producer, those same techniques really undermine the aesthetic of this sort of music.)

Keep it way simple. The more space a guitar has to 'live in' in the mix, the more it will expand to fill the space. (so long as you dial in a good sound to begin with)

It's a matter of personal opinion, but you'd be surprised how well multiple guitar tracks can come together to really thicken up the guitar parts. Keeping in mind that Minor Threat, Black Flag is very different to Miles Away, Dead Hearts typed stuff. But yeah when i'm working with heavier bands, I usually ask the engineer to record four guitar tracks with atleast two different amps, because if its sounding too cluttered theres an infinate amount of ways to fix it up post-tracking. I'm only a very amature producer (more of a consultant really, nothing full time, hopefully sometime soon i'll get a permanent spot somewhere) but I think theres no subsitute for trial and error in my opinion.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
Thanks for the help guys. We're not really going for a "perfect" sounding recording, just a decent, raw demo. I will definitely take a look at that site as well.
Quote by HxC73107
Quote by Broken Lungs
It's a matter of personal opinion, but you'd be surprised how well multiple guitar tracks can come together to really thicken up the guitar parts.

For sure. I've often wondered how many layers are on White Zombie's "More Human than Human." Maybe the hugest guitar sound ever.

We found with our album that we had too many layers - probably 8 per song. When we pared it down to about four or so, it really made a big difference.

Just a genre thing, though.... if you want a very big, layered sound, then go nuts with multi-tracking stuff and processing and anything you can think of. I think with hardcore, the aesthetic is very raw, unprocessed, and straight up.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by chris_122
Thanks for the help guys. We're not really going for a "perfect" sounding recording, just a decent, raw demo. I will definitely take a look at that site as well.

Let us know when you have a track or two up that we can here man.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen