Poll: Would you want to be able to play that fast?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you want to be able to play that fast?
I'd rather get nice and shreddy-fast, but then focus on some other facet of the guitar.
183 70%
Yeah man, why would you NOT??
80 30%
Voters: 263.
Page 1 of 3
Here's the video of ( supposedly ) the fastest guitar player as of 2008; mods please don't erase this thread it's not an announcement, which would belong in the "fastest guitar player thread", but rather it is a discussion starter on the topic. Check out the WHOLE video all the way to the end, and read further:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1495641/world_record_guitar_speed_2008/

Well? What say you?!

Personally, I would never want to be that fast, or so I say seated here from my comfortable level of technical ability, which might be rated as "not as good as most shred-head 14 year olds". What I mean is this; once I had reached a level of proficiency such as that, what would there be left to do? Also, would I still find excitment in playing slower stuff? It's just not a place I really wan't to be!

On the other hand, I want to be REALLY fast one day, so I will keep trying until I'm dead probably...but I mean c'mon, by the time you can play that fast, let's just call a spade a spade and give the man a fretless guitar, because he's playing so fast the notes nearly blurr into a glissando.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't mind being that fast at all. but I'd rarely need do it, outside of showing off.
He is accurate and fast.

and if you have both by your side then you have more limits then a person who is slow and accurate because if you are fast and accurate in your playing then you can do slow as well.
would i want to be that fast? why not. its not like i HAVE to play that fast all the time. but it would be fun once in a while to go crazy with chops like that. and not to mention, impressing the ladies
I see no cons in me being able to play super-fast, and yes, I would like to be that fast, but it's not exactly my #1 goal at the moment.
To maintain that level, it would take constant practice...but if it is fun for you, why not? That's what counts.
I think the real question is: "would it worth the time spent practicing to play that fast instead of practicing other stuff?".
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Jul 18, 2008,
I'd love to be able to play that fast. Music is all about expression, and having that kind of speed can really help in the expression of sime ideas. I certainly wouldnt play like that all the time, but it would be a nice skill to have available.
Okay, I may be the first to say that that is disturbingly fast, and that I really never want to be able to play like that. Shred is shred, but shred itself has limits. Eventually it all just becomes a blur of notes. Plus it doesn't really appeal to me. I'd rather be a regular speed player and put more emphasis on emotion than make bumblebee sounds.

Plus practicing all the time to do that sort of thing doesn't sound fun.
Of course I would, who wouldn't want to be able to play that fast? I like to use painting as a metaphor: The paints allow you to create a masterpiece. If technique is your paint, it wouldn't be able to stand alone as paint alone, but it allows you to create a more beautiful picture. Technique by itself is nothing useful, but a painter with every color imaginable will be able to create a deeper picture, just as a guitarist who can play as fast or intricately as he likes will hypothetically be able to create a better song.
Dickless.
how many strings is that guitar 7?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Kikral
Okay, I may be the first to say that that is disturbingly fast, and that I really never want to be able to play like that. Shred is shred, but shred itself has limits.

shred doesn't have limits. that's the point. you're removing any physical boundaries that could possibly hinder your creativity. The only boundary left is the mind itself, which is the same in any genre except a 'normal' guitarist might not be able to play what they envision whereas a 'shredder' would have no such problems.

I can understand people not wanting to put in the hours to get to that point but if someone said to you 'I'll click my fingers and you'll be able to play like that, all you have to do is say "yes" and it'll be done. do you want me to click my fingers?' why would you possibly turn it down?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I love these people who say "Pfff, I'd rather play with emotion"...

I don't listen to too much shred music... But since when was playing slowly considered emotional?

Being able to play that fast is a technical advantage that breaks down the barriers of what you can express on a guitar... Just like any other technique you could learn.

EDIT:

Quote by Lemoninfluence
shred doesn't have limits. that's the point. you're removing any physical boundaries that could possibly hinder your creativity. The only boundary left is the mind itself, which is the same in any genre except a 'normal' guitarist might not be able to play what they envision whereas a 'shredder' would have no such problems.

I can understand people not wanting to put in the hours to get to that point but if someone said to you 'I'll click my fingers and you'll be able to play like that, all you have to do is say "yes" and it'll be done. do you want me to click my fingers?' why would you possibly turn it down?

Dang, you beat me to it.
Off topic, but if i saw correctly, the guy was anchoring all he time, wasn't it?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
That's not music...! That is jaw-dropping.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Nah, I wouldn't, maily because I'm more of a blues guitarist. But towards the end, it didn't sound like a guitar at all to be honest, just like when you stick a bit of paper into a fan.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Nah, I wouldn't, maily because I'm more of a blues guitarist. But towards the end, it didn't sound like a guitar at all to be honest, just like when you stick a bit of paper into a fan.

does the ability to play fast prevent you from playing the blues?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i personally would be satisfied with just having the right-hand technique he has. as more of a rhythm player, that's more important to me
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
It would be great to be that good personally i would love it but there is no point playing that fast.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

it would be cool to be able to do it, but i wouldnt like apply it other than showing off
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Graveworm
He is accurate and fast.

and if you have both by your side then you have more limits then a person who is slow and accurate because if you are fast and accurate in your playing then you can do slow as well.

Redundacny is Redundant.

Anyway playing that fast would be useful to show off, but little else.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
yes he was anchoring

it would be good to play like that, it's a very good technique but i think i would find it hard finding a drummer of that calibre

Quote by El Cumanés
Off topic, but if i saw correctly, the guy was anchoring all he time, wasn't it?

Quote by Lemoninfluence
...what?

that?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
yes he was anchoring

it would be good to play like that, it's a very good technique

...what?

EDIT: clarified my point

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jul 19, 2008,
Damn 320bpm thats just crazy fast. Has he used that speed in any of his songs or was it just to claim the "fastest guitarist in the world" title
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
does the ability to play fast prevent you from playing the blues?

No, but I wouldn't find a use of it. The way I play fast is with tons of hammer ons and pull offs, not shredding. And I don't play too fast much anyways; 150bpm is enough for me!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Chasing Shadows
I'm just gonna be the first to say.. but.. i'm gonna ask..

How fast can he fap? Honestly..

Well, since he spent all his life indoors learing how to play fast...

16 hours a day guitaring + no social life = serious fapping power
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, since he spent all his life indoors learing how to play fast...

16 hours a day guitaring + no social life = serious fapping power

LMFAO.

this is why i can't get pro, i have too much of a social life.. we all need to be more like HIM everyone.

Sad guy.. Impressive though.
yes. playing that fast is good. if i could play that fast, i could play probably whatever the hell song i want easily. yeah, it isnt musical but it's not hard to be a good musician if you already play that fast anyways.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I actually really don't think that sounds good at all. In any sense. It doesn't sound like a guitar at all.
hard to hear anything after 280.

still kinda cool tho
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
So what if he can play at 320 BPM. How come almost nobody had heard of him until now. If he was any good then he would be known around the world. Lets see him actually get up and rock out, like a real rockstar would, not just sitting on his fat ass on a stool. How many people here would actually like to have no life at all since they were 5 just so they could play this fast. He will never be popular worldwide because even if it is super fast, it sounds like crap. And is this all that music has come to? Whoever is the fastest is the best and everyone wants to play like them? I think this sound is incredibly lame and he wasted his whole life basically. Its pretty much pointless to play this fast because it is all just a blur and doesn't even sound like a guitar. Say whatever you want but this guy is lame.
Quote by Maidenftw
So what if he can play at 320 BPM. How come almost nobody had heard of him until now. If he was any good then he would be known around the world. Lets see him actually get up and rock out, like a real rockstar would, not just sitting on his fat ass on a stool. How many people here would actually like to have no life at all since they were 5 just so they could play this fast. He will never be popular worldwide because even if it is super fast, it sounds like crap. And is this all that music has come to? Whoever is the fastest is the best and everyone wants to play like them? I think this sound is incredibly lame and he wasted his whole life basically. Its pretty much pointless to play this fast because it is all just a blur and doesn't even sound like a guitar. Say whatever you want but this guy is lame.

I've heard of him.

and are we using the popular=good argument now? watch as I show how frank sinatra is infinitely better than iron maiden...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

tony iommi needs to bow down to bing crosby.

also, this was trying to be the fastest guitarist in the world. It's for a bit of fun. This isn't an example of his music, so to judge him by this would be stupid.

Quote by element4433
Page 1 of 3