in accordance with my penchant for showing my n00bie-ness, i have to ask this next ridiculous question...
in having a guitar properly set-up, is there only one option per model, or is it a matter of personal feel as far as how things are adjusted?
i'd like to have mine done, and im not a great player so its not overly critical, just didnt know what to ask for, or if my shop would know what to do with my Epi Les Paul, just cuz its an Epi Les Paul...see what im sayin?
i dont mind askin this here cuz you guys dont know me, but at my shop, they see me/talk to me, and i dont want them sayin "here comes that noobie moron" when i walk in for strings or somethin, lol....

i know, im pathetic....just answer and move on, please?

Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
As far as action, truss rod adjusting, and some other things, those are personal. But with intonation, bridge height, and stuff like that, there really is only one way to do that. If i were you, since you have an Epi LP, ask if you can get the bridge flipped and have the strings wrapped around it like Zakk Wylde does. Makes bends easier and playability better.
as far as intonation, the nut is terrible, cuz even with a touch of filing and the old pencil trick, my (dont laugh) g-string still will not come into tune, (or stay there), and id like the action a bit lighter...
dont know a thing about the truss rod (neck's straight, that what you mean?)
i briefly had a Gib LP Zebrawood that was almost impossible to play cuz the action was so low, it was too sensitive for me. i dont want that with my LP, and wasnt sure if i needed to give specs at the shop, or what....if i did, i wouldnt know what to ask for....
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
There is more than one possible set up for each guitar, but guitar techs, atleast the good ones, have been doing it for so long that they know what feels good and know what to set a certain guitar to depending on string gauge. I have my guitars set up by a guitar tech who owns a little shop in brum, and he just asks what string guage and what tuning I use then he sets it up perfectly. If you don't know to much about the ins and outs of guitars just ask them to set it up, they will do a good job, and if you don't think they have then itsmore likely to be how to play, I used to have an incredibly high action, tech set it up much lower, I played it and saw the light.

Edit

Posted at the same time then. Literally if you go into see a tech and say that your g string slips and ou would like the inotation a tad lighter they will say ok then. You don't need to tell them anything fancy, just tell them what your experiencing, techs are usually great guys, who are quite easy going.
Last edited by image6 at Jul 18, 2008,
just so im clear, define "low" and "high" action for me?
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

high action means the strings are a large distance away from the pickups and that the bridge is pretty much maxed out. And the truss road is a metal rod in the neck which controls how straight it is.
Quote by image6
high action means the strings are a large distance away from the pickups and that the bridge is pretty much maxed out. And the truss road is a metal rod in the neck which controls how straight it is.

so a higher action means the strings are higher off the fretboard too, needing more pressure from your fingers to fret a note, right? i dont want the action too low, then, im not that precise with my fingering...that Gib LP Zebra was gorgeous, but i just couldnt do half with it that i can do with my Epi as it sits now....
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

Quote by image6

oh, and thats what i thought about the truss rod, so i was good there...thanks!
my neck is pretty straight, just by eyeballing it....
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup