Alright so I am having a really hard time trying to find the best way to memorize scales and to practicing them to improve my improvisation. I have just basically been memorizing the box shapes because I cant find any other way to memorize the scales. With the major scale I know its WWHWWWH and I use that to find out major scales, But like with pentatonics I have just been memorizing all the pentatonic box shape patterns. So since the major scale has WWHWWWH pattern does the pentatonics have something similar? I am very stressed and really need to get this stuff down when most people try to explain how I should do it, I cannot understand what they are saying to me.

With my improvising, like lets say I am using pentatonics. It'll sound like I am just going up and down box patterns. Sound's more like playing the scale then making some music.

Can someone explain to me how I should be memorizing scales, and how I can improve my improvisation and hopefully in a way I'd be able to understand. I have tried to find lessons on this and everything but I just cant seem to find out how to practice/memorize scales and improve my improvisation.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Please read the theory lesson in my sig. It covers everything you need to know.

Alright will do so.
Everybody improvises like **** when they first start out. I did, my teacher told me he did, and I'm sure every good guitarist has. IMO, the two most important things that you need to do to be able to improvise well is 1) do it often and 2) learn licks from other players. Now, for the first one, for every day that you practice, you should set aside __ number of minutes solely to practice improvising over progressions. For the second one, I don't mean that you should 'steal' licks from other players. What I mean is learn from them and make the licks your own. Now, I'll admit, when I'm playing over a blues progression, an SRV lick usually slips in every now and then. I may be playing the same notes, but I'll always be using my own unique phrasing, which is another thing I'd suggest you work on.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Please read the theory lesson in my sig. It covers everything you need to know.

Okay so... I am having a REALLY hard time reading some of those. Circle of Fifths I just cant figure out, I could only figure out some of the beginning of that Lesson. I already know because I am reading on "The Crusade" in the guitar columns(only bout half way through if that). And it is really frustrating me I read the parts I couldn't understand like 5 times and its just not clicking! Is their something I don't know or is it just not explained enough? I haven't read the whole thing yet considering I cant get some of the beginning parts.
what i did:

draw a fret board on lined paper, and just map out the entire scale. then memorize where the root note is first. then memorize where the 5th ...3rd...2nd.... so on
The best thing you can do with your knowledge of box patterns is to learn what interval each note is in the actual scale. Then, the more you practise improvising, the more you will pick up what intervals sound good to you in particular sequences.
Quote by LawnDwarf
draw a fret board on lined paper, and just map out the entire scale. then memorize where the root note is first. then memorize where the 5th ...3rd...2nd.... so on

I did this too. Highly recommend it.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by Kash1333
Okay so... I am having a REALLY hard time reading some of those. Circle of Fifths I just cant figure out, I could only figure out some of the beginning of that Lesson. I already know because I am reading on "The Crusade" in the guitar columns(only bout half way through if that). And it is really frustrating me I read the parts I couldn't understand like 5 times and its just not clicking! Is their something I don't know or is it just not explained enough? I haven't read the whole thing yet considering I cant get some of the beginning parts.

The circle of fifths is wrong in that lesson, so skip it for now. I'm pretty sure the crusade covers that at some point anyway.
Quote by Eirien
The circle of fifths is wrong in that lesson, so skip it for now. I'm pretty sure the crusade covers that at some point anyway.
It has been corrected.

Anyway, TS, what parts don't you get? Please ask questions about that material.
Okay, maybe you didn't notice, but that article in BGC's sig is split up into 10 or so sections. The point of this is not so that you can just read through the entire thing in one sitting. What you need to do is read through the first section, and if you don't understand it, reread it. Give it some time to sink in. Ask yourself questions based on what you just learned. Learning theory is not something that can be done in a day, it's an ongoing process. And if you have a messed up view on your fundamentals, you won't be able to understand any of the more advanced topics.

Only when you understand a section completely should you move on to the the next one. Articles like this (the Crusades included) are set up so that each section assumes you have a full understanding of the previous sections. You don't think you are going to understand the CoF if you don't know what a fifth interval is, do you?
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 22, 2008,
Wait, wait, wait. I know some scales but WWHWWWHWW... wtf is that? Mnemonic device? Please explain that to me if its useful.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
WWHWWWH is the formula for the intervals of the major scale. W = whole step and H = half step.

Check out the theory link in BGC's sig, and follow my advice in the post above yours.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Also is BGC, as you so affectionately call her(?), really as hot as that damn picture. I can't sleep at night. Shes driving me crazy. Hot blonde that can make guitar talk sound like greek to me... damn.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Also is BGC, as you so affectionately call her(?), really as hot as that damn picture.
That's a matter of opinion, but if it helps, I have brownish-black hair.
Ok, now I'm scared.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Also is BGC, as you so affectionately call her(?), really as hot as that damn picture. I can't sleep at night. Shes driving me crazy. Hot blonde that can make guitar talk sound like greek to me... damn.
Thats actually not her, its elliot from scrubs.

But yeah, BGC is pretty hot. Or so she says...
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
O... Any ideas of what I can do/say to make her wanna be my friend and maybe more? Evidently impressing her with my extensive knowledge of music theory won't work. (I don't have any, most girls are impressed if you can play guitar, not write a thesis on it.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Any ideas of what I can do/say to make her wanna be my friend and maybe more?
Stubmle into me in real life not knowing it's me, talk me up for a while, finally ask me out for that weekend, go on said date to a cheap restaurant, ask me out for the following weekend, and take me to an expensive restaurant in Center City Philadelphia the following Saturday; wear a tie and sweater-vest.

I don't accept friend requests on here if you didn't already know that.
Alright, and where should I stumble into you? And when? Ok just kidding I'm gonna stop before this gets too creepy haha.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!