Hi,
I purchased a squier strat 4 days ago and don't really like it so I'm returning it for either a ESP H-51 or ESP M-50. I am brand new to guitar but really like the sounds of the ESP guitars. The H-51 is $220 and the M-50 is $180, though the price is negligible if the differences between them is significant. Which one is the better buy?
Well of course you didn't like the guitar, it's a Squire! You've got to at least go Fender when it comes to strats.

Between those guitars, it's a matter of asking yourself if you want a vibrato bridge or not. Other than that...whichever one feels more comfortable in your hands.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
most guitars in this price range are going to sound very similar, at least to a beginner's ears. choose one that feels comfortable to you, especially on the neck for your fretting hand. also make sure you choose a guitar that looks really cool to you, whether it be the finish and/or the shape.. if you want to play it all the time it will keep you motivated to practice.

what kind of amp did you get? you should get a good versatile amp with a lot of different tones, like a roland cube or something similar. that way you can get a variety of tones and you are less likely to get bored.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! The squire came with a gdec but since I'm returning the guitar the amp goes back with it. I used my friends Line 6 Spider III (15 watt) today and really liked it so I'm going to buy that one. Also I noticed the M-50 has a reverse headstock, does that matter at all...are the strings reversed?
Plan on ordering either guitar Saturday night so any more opinions would greatly be appreciated