I went outside
Picked up a stone
Listened to it for a while
And decided it wasn't making any noise
I'm not really sure what you're asking here?

If you mean how the guitar sounds, that's an effect called overdrive or distortion
ohai little sig.
Lol, are you serious.
Edit: Use distortion and power chords
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
yeah... how old are you?? thats shocking grammar..

and you must be fair new to not know how to press the little button on your amp that says "distortion" or "overdrive"
*Enter Sig Here*
Guys, you should atleast slow down on the insults until you find out if english is his first language.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Quote by Hale_91

and you must be fair new to not know how to press the little button on your amp that says "distortion" or "overdrive"

Shocking grammar? Yea I must be fair new to teh english langwedge...
Oh and how flucking old are people on these boards? Every board I go to it's a bunch of sarcastic pricks talking mad shiznit.

Ok, how in the fluck do I make my "Guitar" sound more rough then normal? I "know" about the distortion button on the amp, and I played with the gain etc... But it just doesn't sound as clean as it does in the video so I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

This is my "Guitar"

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-400-SG-Electric-Guitar-100042754-i1149971.gc

And this is my "Amp"

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-15G-Guitar-Combo-Amp-100324498-i1145383.gc
Quote by Broken Lungs
Guys, you should atleast slow down on the insults until you find out if english is his first language.

"at least" and "English" is capitalized.
Quote by Hale_91

"That's". Also never start off a sentence with "and". Plus I can't even comment on the rest of the sentence.
Oh, but your gain high, and if you want a crunchy sound put the Mids high.
Last edited by CobainBohnam at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by LayneStaley93
"at least" and "English" is capitalized.

Actually, "at least," would not be capitalized. Also, why are you pointing out that guy's mistakes? He is taking up for you. Also, if you are going to correct peoples' grammar, you should use correct grammar. It would be "are capitalized," not "is capitalized."
"Layne".. grow up.

correcting what people have said doesn't turn you into a literate rocker..

it turns you into an asshole.

ask questions that make sense, and this wouldn't happen.
(asking, how do i get a decent tone like this "example" would of
been MUCH better, and easier to understand.)

____

the FM amp is your problem, the pre-amps are not built for distortion.

go get yourself a pedal or new amp to do the job.
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Jul 18, 2008,
I know what ur talkin bout TS, to get a crisp sound like that it all comes down to quality, some pickups overdrive naturally, others need alot of distortion and this can end up sounding muddy, if u have a power knob on the back of ur amp turn it down and crank the master a bit, this will strengthen the signal giving more natural distortion, if that doesn't work its all about equalization, remember a good tone is more about treble and mid than overdrive
Agreed on the wrong choice of amp. I have never been able to get a good hard rock/metal sound from a Fender amp. Great for country, blues, some classic rock stuff, but not hard rock/metal. A pedal or some other sort of processing (Pod, etc.) or trading the amp for something else is your answer.

And TS... if it is any consolation to you, the average age on here I would bet is under 20. So, when you're dealing with teenagers, you don't always get adult responses and adult conversation. As long as you remember that, you're okay.

That's not to say that there is no good info on here. There is tons. Some of these kids really know their stuff. Some of the people on here (like me) are considerably older and have a lot of experience with a lot of things. Generally, people don't jump on other people for grammar unless they really ask for it.

CT

(old enough that I'm sure some of my grade 7 and 8 students are on here, but nobody has stepped forward yet and called me on it.... Brad C., I'm lookin' at you... )
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 19, 2008,
Calm down...

We are more than willing to help you out. There's no need to yell about everything.
Also try to edit your posts so you don't make any more than a double post (a single post is best here at UG).

As everyone is saying, get a new amp. Amp and guitar choices are the two things which will greatly effect your sound. An amp is the more important part of the two though IMO so don't skimp out.

Small amps, (such as the one you have) will give you a very harsh distortion tone which doesn't sound great to my ear either. I think the Roland Cube amps work and sound great and own a micro cube myself. If you are on a tight budget they are a good amp to go with IMO however there are better choices as you spend more money, (which is how the audio field works.)
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2008,
This thread is the prime example why there is war and suffering in this world of ours.

First, the threadstarter obviously just got his new guitar and amp and was wondering how to get a rock tone out of it. And since this is probably his first post, he hadn't read any other "tone" threads so he said it in the wrong context.

Next, people poke jibes at him for it, saying things like he must be foreign and must be a third grader.

Next, the thread starter gets angry and frustrated because no one yet has even thought about helping him, so he takes it out on one of the peeps that made fun of him, something about his grammar.

Next, another guy points out the threadstarters mistakes in his grammar-fixing, and it starts all over again.

Let me tell you, if this thread was a conversation that two people were having face to face, I am telling you someone would be hurt, or the arguement would have escalated and then someone would get hurt.

Chill out people, the world is not ending.
Do NOT look behind you.
I wasn't actually making fun of him, but I can see how it would've came across that way. Sorry to the TS, you're grammar is much better than mine was, I used to be dyslexic and got teased alot for it, I know how it is.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
LayneStaley93 obviously knows how to write, so why would you ask

"I'm a newb how do I make my guitar sound like rock?"

that doesn't make sense, and he is smart enough to write a correct sentence.

if he wrote, "how do i sound like this" or how do i get a rock tone, or something understandable, none of it would of happened.

all im getting at, is that if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.
if you ask a question like a 3 year old, you will get treated like a 3 year old.
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by c_man471

Let me tell you, if this thread was a conversation that two people were having face to face, I am telling you someone would be hurt, or the arguement would have escalated and then someone would get hurt.

Right on. The only thing I'd change here is to say that if this was a conversation between two or more people face-to-face, the participants in question would probably be much more polite to begin with. It's easy to take shots at a victim you can't see.

Tip of the day: Look up Milgram experiment.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

if it was face to face, the initiating question would probably make sense.
*Enter Sig Here*
Jesus, all this because his grammar was a bit shoddy in the first post

Anyway, I think the main problem, as others have said, is your amp. I started with that amp, and while you can get a fair distorted tone, it's not ideal.
There is poetry in despair.
keep ya amp if the size is ok, and get a multi effects unit, itld last ya a while.
*Enter Sig Here*
The amp will work fair however if it has a small speaker it will sound a little strange with any FX pedal however if you do go with a multi FX pedal TS look into a Yamaha Magicstomp.
I found the magicstomps to be an awesome product for the price. There are some limits to them but I found some great tones from mine. You can find them on ebay for under $200 these days.
Line 6 Spider amp,

30w 12" speaker. (unlike the cubes 10" )

good quality tone etc.

but there are better modeling amps.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
LayneStaley93 obviously knows how to write, so why would you ask

"I'm a newb how do I make my guitar sound like rock?"

that doesn't make sense, and he is smart enough to write a correct sentence.

if he wrote, "how do i sound like this" or how do i get a rock tone, or something
understandable, none of it would of happened.

all im getting at, is that if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.
if you ask a question like a 3 year old, you will get treated like a 3 year old.

If you ask a stupid question to an "ADULT" you get an odd look.
But you sure as hell don't get a stupid answer, adults are not normally
smart asses for no reason. Teenagers on the other hand seem to know nothing else.
So I very much agree with the poster talking about how there are a lot of kids on here.

I've been to many message boards on the internets and it doesn't really matter
if it's face to face or it's on a message board. When you're on a forum where it
consists of adults you get adult style "talk" and almost always in a civil manner.
When you're on a message board where you know the population consists of the
19 and under crowd you get the sarcasm and and smart ass talk you would get in
high school X10 since there are no repercussions of an ass beating when you're "anonymous" on a forum. Teenagers + Annoyminity + Internets = The Downfall of the human race and the sign the apocalypse is near.
Last edited by LayneStaley93 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by LayneStaley93

When you're on a message board where you know the population consists of the
19 and under crowd you get the sarcasm and and smart ass talk you would get in
high school X10 since there are no repercussions of an ass beating when you're "anonymous" on a forum. Teenagers + Annoyminity + Internets = The Downfall of the human race and the sign the apocalypse is near.

You win. I'm going to laugh about this all day.

CT

This is quite a bizarre thread... but i've gotta pose the question, TS; seeing as you are an intelligent person, why did you ask the original question in such a "stupid" manner?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Quote by c_man471
This thread is the prime example why there is war and suffering in this world of ours.

First, the threadstarter obviously just got his new guitar and amp and was wondering how to get a rock tone out of it. And since this is probably his first post, he hadn't read any other "tone" threads so he said it in the wrong context.

Next, people poke jibes at him for it, saying things like he must be foreign and must be a third grader.

Next, the thread starter gets angry and frustrated because no one yet has even thought about helping him, so he takes it out on one of the peeps that made fun of him, something about his grammar.

Next, another guy points out the threadstarters mistakes in his grammar-fixing, and it starts all over again.

NEXT, a guy decides to post a post-by-post recap of the entire thing that's four inches of text above his post that people could look at themselves, now that's what I call a great action play there Johnny!
.... after a promising attempt at recovery, the thread degenerates once again....

Is there a mod in the house? How do you report a thread that has outlived its usefulness and has become little more than a vehicle for pointless jabs?

Maybe we could start a thread in the pit about the importance of being a self-imposed grammar and thread structure Nazi where we can all officiate each other about the quality, usefulness and poetic grace of the person's post.

I know.... "Rate the literary grace and universal appeal of the poster above you thread"

Yep.... LayneStaley93 still has me laughing. Him FTW.

Edit: got it.... *reported*

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 22, 2008,
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I started that thread ^ in the pit. It took less than ten minutes to get it locked!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

CT