Page 1 of 3
ok so im new to tube amps and got a used 5150 combo today for $525 w/ a free Monster cable...so i was all excited..but when i plugged in my Hellraiser, the lead channel sucks!! i know its not the tubes, its been newly re-tubed with JJs...lets just say its missing the 'dirt' that my Flextone had to cover the metalcore/hardcore i play (devil wears prada, underoath, a day to remember, maylene)

what do i do?!?!? it seems i just wasted a bunch of money..

i mean i mainly play in my bedroom..is that the problem? is it just too loud to get a 'good' tone? i mean at the loudest i could possibly go without breaking windows in my room..my palm mutes dont have enough buttery crunch & i hear a lot of fizz

if bought something like a MetalMuff could i get the tone i want?

BTW, im using the Soldano SLO amp emulator on my Flextone

im so pissed/worried

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
How loud was it? What were your settings? Have you tried using the crunch channel?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
How loud was it? What were your settings? Have you tried using the crunch channel?

1) lead pre-gain: 2, post pregain: 2
2) bass: 5, mid:6, treble:9
crunch is only on the rhythm channel, its basically just for cleans, the crunch button has no effect while on lead

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Sounds like you did a crappy EQ'ing job. What do your settings look like?

EDIT: You've got the gain on 2? Why so low?
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Jul 18, 2008,
volume is part of it, the speakers are also part of it. I'd buy an OD pedal before a metal muff, it should already have more than enough gain, you just want to tighten it up. It should lose some of that fizzy character and thicken up a little when the volume is up.

How are you dialing in the dirt btw? Keep both the pre and post gain low at first, and use the pre to dial in the amount of OD you want, then use the post gain for the actual volume control.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Sounds like you did a crappy EQ'ing job. What do your settings look like?

Look above your post.

If it's missing dirt, then why not just add more gain? Put all knobs on 5 and adjust from there. It's loud enough unless there's something wrong with the tubes (you just said there wasn't).

EDIT: yeah, like Erock said, Pre is the actual drive and Post is the volume, I didn't know that when I first played these amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
hmmm, ok i figured an overdrive pedal might be something useful to get

but ok, so should my pre gain be much higher than my post gain?

i dont really get it...

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by -tempest-
now this is the prefect time to say: f*ck me right!? lol

No.

EDIT: Pre = Gain
Post = Volume

Do what I said though, start with all knobs on 5 except vol. and tweak from there.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Erock503
volume is part of it, the speakers are also part of it. I'd buy an OD pedal before a metal muff, it should already have more than enough gain, you just want to tighten it up. It should lose some of that fizzy character and thicken up a little when the volume is up.

How are you dialing in the dirt btw? Keep both the pre and post gain low at first, and use the pre to dial in the amount of OD you want, then use the post gain for the actual volume control.

i cant seem to get good glassy dirt crunch from palm muting....what do you mean by dialing in the dirt?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
i cant seem to get good glassy dirt crunch from palm muting....what do you mean by dialing in the dirt?

Turn the Pre knob up? He already made that pretty clear I think.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
No.

EDIT: Pre = Gain
Post = Volume

Do what I said though, start with all knobs on 5 except vol. and tweak from there.

oh ok..makes sense...Pre is kind of my 'dirt' knob, and post is just how loud i want it?
well, im sure an overdrive pedal couldnt hurt so...whats the best choice? Tubescreamer, Boss OD-1, or Bad Monkey?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
no seriously your new amp should sound better, let it heat up first then try it out

tube need to heat up before you use them
Quote by jcp42877
oh ok..makes sense...Pre is kind of my 'dirt' knob, and post is just how loud i want it?
well, im sure an overdrive pedal couldnt hurt so...whats the best choice? Tubescreamer, Boss OD-1, or Bad Monkey?

Whoah. You're going to use an OD pedal when you've got the gain on 2? What on earth is your logic behind that?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Whoah. You're going to use an OD pedal when you've got the gain on 2? What on earth is your logic behind that?

agreed sir, turn the pre up you should need to use pedals with tubes man i wouldn't
ok, i think i got it now but....the fizz is still there & from what yall are saying, my tone will thicken up once i turn the volume up, but..

i cant...it will be much too loud for my bedroom, so any alternative?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by -tempest-
no seriously your new amp should sound better, let it heat up first then try it out

tube need to heat up before you use them

Yeah, good point. TS, did you wait a couple minutes before turned the Standby and Power on?

EDIT: what's your volume/post now?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yeah, good point. TS, did you wait a couple minutes before turned the Standby and Power on?

yah, i waited and then played for like 30 mins straight...

btw..could you easily explain the 'correct' way to run on & off the amp?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by aznrockerdude

EDIT: what's your volume/post now?

my post was at like 1.5 or 2...but i cant try ya'lls advice until tomorrow because dad's sleeping

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
ok, i think i got it now but....the fizz is still there & from what yall are saying, my tone will thicken up once i turn the volume up, but..

i cant...it will be much too loud for my bedroom, so any alternative?

A you turn up your preamp gain, turn down your power amp gain. Especially at low volumes, most of the gain will come from the preamp, so there's really no need to worry about the post gain.

Pre gain = gain
Post gain = master volume

Think about it that way.
DID you or anyone touch the tubes when they were put in cuz if you did, the tubes are no good, the oils on your skin kills em. if you didn't and nothing else suggested works idk dude
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
A you turn up your preamp gain, turn down your power amp gain. Especially at low volumes, most of the gain will come from the preamp, so there's really no need to worry about the post gain.

In fact think about the pre gain as the "gain" knob on most amps, and the post gain as the master volume. It's essentially, if not exactly, the same thing.

I think I just told him that. It can't be UBER quiet though, it sounds really buzzy and fizzy at 0-0.6
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
nah, nobody touched the tubes...

& im sure what ya'll said WILL make a diff. i just cna t try it tonight because my dads in bed, but if i have a prob. tomorrow i will of course ask for your wonderful help haha

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
im not much of a help i just know little things like that like i didn't know the post gain is like the master volume and **** these others know whats up
Quote by aznrockerdude
I think I just told him that. It can't be UBER quiet though, it sounds really buzzy and fizzy at 0-0.6

Missed that.

Yeah, I figured he didn't get it since he was talking about still having his post around 2.5.
so if sound-hurting-the-ears wasnt a problem, do you think if i turned the maxed the pre-gain, took the amp outside, and turned the post to like 4 or 5, i would get a solid sound im looking for? of course, after EQing

EDIT: oh yeah, do i turn on my standby switch first? because if so, i dont hear anthing when i flick it, only when i turn both switches on

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
so if sound-hurting-the-ears wasnt a problem, do you think if i turned the maxed the pre-gain, took the amp outside, and turned the post to like 4 or 5, i would get a solid sound im looking for? of course, after EQing

EDIT: oh yeah, do i turn on my standby switch first? because if so, i dont hear anthing when i flick it, only when i turn both switches on

No, switch the power on first, then move the 2nd switch from "standby" to "on".

Maxed pre- gain on a 5150 is too much gain for pretty much everyone. Most people, for metal/ hardcore genres, keep the gain between 5-8. Find the level you're looking for.

And again, the post is essentially the volume, it has almost zero effect on your tone.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
No, switch the power on first, then move the 2nd switch from "standby" to "on".

Maxed pre- gain on a 5150 is too much gain for pretty much everyone. Most people, for metal/ hardcore genres, keep the gain between 5-8. Find the level you're looking for.

And again, the post is essentially the volume, it has almost zero effect on your tone.

ok ok...thanks for ya'lls help!!! and ONLY if the pre/post & EQ'ing tweaking dont cut it, then maybe look at an overdrive pedal?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
ok ok...thanks for ya'lls help!!! and ONLY if the pre/post & EQ'ing tweaking dont cut it, then maybe look at an overdrive pedal?

I really don't think you'd need one. What are you thinking it'll accomplish?
Quote by -tempest-
DID you or anyone touch the tubes when they were put in cuz if you did, the tubes are no good, the oils on your skin kills em. if you didn't and nothing else suggested works idk dude

I think that's a myth actually. I used to wear rubber gloves when I changed tubes thinking the same thing. Then I saw my friends old Twin Reverb, with tubes from the early 90's, and they looked like someone rolled them in grease. I couldn't believe how dirty they were, and how long they lasted. The idea is that the oils create a hot spot on the glass, and weaken it at that point. It doesn't really make that much difference though, at least if your hands are clean. I've changed about 10 complete sets of tubes with my bare hands, and not one issue. These don't get anywhere near as hot as something like a halogen.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

haha, i have no clue...it just seems every guitarist needs one at some point or another

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Tighter tone, less fizz, you know, the things that happen when you boost an already overdriven amp.

EDIT: laxplaya, the Post knob is actually really useful for 'opening up' the sound of the 5150 and getting rid of fizz/buzz.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Tighter tone, less fizz, you know, the things that happen when you boost an already overdriven amp.

so it WILL help? if so whats a good pedal?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877

Maybe. I had a similar problem with my F30 and it ended up not fixing anything. What DID fix my problem was proper EQ'ing. So really, if you're dead- set on an OD pedal try it and see if it fixes the problem before you buy it.
Quote by jcp42877

All Tubescreamer (copy or original) type pedals will work.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no pics?

congrats dude, i'm sure you will be fine.

i will post pics...a new thread will arise in a few minutes

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I found on the 5150 II that the Presence knob really helps bring out the sound at low volumes as well. What do you have that set at?
Quote by aznrockerdude

+1, can really help tighten up certain amps, and add a nice edge to the tone. Also changes the feel of the amp if it's a good pedal.

Most guys use them as a boost pedal with a high gain head. You dial in the dirt you want first on the amp, then set the pedal with none or very low OD, and crank up the level/balance on the pedal. This makes it like a clean boost with some hair, it will thin and tighten the lowend a little, along with adding some bite to the highend. Also allows you to bring down the gain a little on the amp itself, which can sometimes help with a real sizzly highend.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 3