Page 1 of 2
****************CLOSED***************

OK. Here's the deal. Same as last 2 polls but with a few changes. Some basic rules and more info on the amps is below. I wanted a poll/survey with a Solid State, Tube and Modeller and figured since I have all three, I'll just give it whirl.
Now with Dirt added See Second clip as well!

Firstly, I'm not that good of a guitarist and I don't have the best gear so I would appreciate any comments on my playing to be sent to me via PM as I always welcome constructive criticism. Criticism of this survey is fine as it will help the next one. There is no Poll here, I will count up the responses manually.

Secondly, The Red Strat gave me this idea with his last one (part 2). Maybe I can get him to create a cool graph when we're done. What I wanted to do was use the same guitarist, same guitar, different amps, but the SAME RIFF. I know that is boring but I feel it helps get to the differences more quickly. I also decided to use a simple practice pattern that I use to practice bends and utilizes 12 frets.

Lastly, the reason I decided for now to run these amps 'CLEAN' is for two main reasons. 1.) If I did them dirty you would prolly figure it out right away. I want to make this somewhat challenging right? 2.) Also, I think distortion can bury the true sound to some degree and I wanted to be able to pull out the harmonics and tone or singing of each amp.

Now. Please vote. 3 amps. Use S for Solid State. T for Tube and M for Modeller. Like this:

Amp1 X
Amp2 X
Amp3 X

c = clean and d = dirty

This seemed to work pretty well with Red Strats survey. I would like to leave it up for a few days to get at least the 30 or so resonses we got from his. That would also give me some time to work on a Dirty version of each and maybe get that up before we close. Done.

NEW NOTE: For those that didn't like the tone of these amps the first time you are definitly not going to like it now. No Flame necessary. It takes balls to do this when you know you are not good. Anyway, if you want to revise your original vote then let me know. I'll be gone for a while but I'll check back. No Bad Monkey either on second Tube run.
This camera mic cannot handle this so I won't upload anymore songs after this exercise until I get a decent mic LOL

Please vote for all 3 or I can't use your vote. Each is only about a minute long.

Cool?

Clips are in my Profile go gentle: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play365413

Thanks for participating!
----------------------More Info----------------------

Part of the reason I didn't want to do gained up distortion is this camera mic can't handle it. So, I decided to run all three amps as Clean as possible basically. If you have any questions just post them here so everyone can see.

Solid State Amp: Fender FM 212 DSP 100 watt. With the effects on this it could technically be considered a modeling amp. I turned them off. I did need to pick a cabinet model tho so I chose Hot Rod. Vol 4, Gain 4, flat EQ (6s), no Reverb or Effects.

Tube Amp: Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt. With this I used my Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal on the Clean channel. The reason for this is because I had to play all the amps at a lower volume and the OD brings the tone up to par. Level at 9. If you don't like that then post here. Vol 4, flat EQ (5s), no Reverb.

Modeling Amp: Fender GDEC 15 watt. This was the hardest as it doesn't have a Clean setting. I chose the Mambo preset #48 as it is voiced like this. Blackface, no effects, Small Room Reverb, Vol 8, Gain 4.

Edit: No Bad Monkey on 2nd (d=Dirty) clips but otherwise everything else is about the same but obviously I had to make some voicing changes.
Sorry for length and this is not a rate my gear thread - I have what I have.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2008,
1: S
2: M
3: T

I'm using ****ty headphones though so I couldn't really hear any of them
ohai little sig.
s
m
t
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Most modellers are SS...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Most modellers are SS...

true true.

all i could do is turn off the effects on the Frontman. I consider the GDEC to be more of a Modeller as it is using digital (Edit: Processing) circuitry to create all the presets. I would have to get someone to look at schematics to take it any further. Good point tho.

no vote?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
true true.

all i could do is turn off the effects on the Frontman. I consider the GDEC to be more of a Modeller as it is using digital circuitry to create all the presets. I would have to get someone to look at schematics to take it any further. Good point tho.

no vote?

Nope, don't feel like being wrong today.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
there all pretty mediocre amps, so it would be hard to tell them apart.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
amp 1 S
amp 2 M
amp 3 T
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
Quote by aznrockerdude
Nope, don't feel like being wrong today.

...oh...come on.

i'm going to throw up the dirty too so you can compare first to second (later).

IbanezPsycho - tnx

Chea Man - true, but i would appeciate your vote anyway - true I don't have the gear or the skills that you do. Plus I made it clear that I don't have high end gear or skilz

Ramik - tnx for your vote..noted.

:
1 S
2 M
3 T
vintage metal axxe reaper
peavey exp special
epipphone sg g310
Last edited by OWN3R at Jul 19, 2008,
1 and 3 have unnatural slightly fuzzy overdrive, so they must be solid state. Which one is a modeller, I cant tell. So 2 is tube.

though it is hard to really define the tube sound if there is no chords crunching, with only single note leads the tube character doesnt come out that well, especially with the second amp being completely clean.

EDIT: this poll isnt fair at all, since you used a Bad monkey with the tube amp, which always distorts the sound(gives it solid state clipping), Bad monkey is never clean, even with its gain all the way down. Thus there is no real "tube sound" in any of the amps heard, but 1 seems more similar to bad monkey, with the other two being the solid state and the modeller.
Last edited by 1337void at Jul 19, 2008,
2: T
3: M (but could be a T as it has very little overdrive, and therefore isn't cranked)
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I hear what sounds like solid state clipping on 1 and 3 but I can't tell if it's the amp or your mic or the bad monkey. They all 3 sound very muddy to me as well which is probably down to having to keep the volume low. Anyway, these things make it very hard to choose but I'm gonna take a guess anyway.

1 M (sounded like pure modeling amp to me)
2 S (because it was the only clean one)
3 T (I'm going to guess that the clipping was because of the mic or the bad monkey)
Not taking any online orders.
Why not put up some more clips playing some nice open chords let 'em ring out. The runs you are playing sound a bit muffled. Also lose the bad monkey from the Valveking as it is adding its own solidstate clipping to the sound.
Amp1 S
Amp2 T
Amp3 M

Honestly though I didn't think this was a fair test at all......A Fender Frontman is a bad example of a solid state, and the Fender G dec is a bad example of a Solid Sate Modeller. Don't take this the wrong way I can't expect you to go out and buy a bunch of nice amps for a litte test. I just didnt think that it was a fair test towards modelling like the Vetta or nicer solid states like high end Randalls. But you've inspired me to make a test of my own. I've got a Carvin V3 and Pod X3 live so I'm going to make a test of my own here, Thanks.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I hear what sounds like solid state clipping on 1 and 3 but I can't tell if it's the amp or your mic or the bad monkey. They all 3 sound very muddy to me as well which is probably down to having to keep the volume low. Anyway, these things make it very hard to choose but I'm gonna take a guess anyway.

1 M (sounded like pure modeling amp to me)
2 S (because it was the only clean one)
3 T (I'm going to guess that the clipping was because of the mic or the bad monkey)

i agree with this guy.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
2. M
3. T

Probaly wrong, the last one is kinda weird, although at around the 0:40 mark I can hear some tube kind of tones despite the overdrive.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
As with all of these threads, they all sound naff.

I can hear nasty buzzy clipping on 1 and 3 and 2 sounds very much like a modeller. 2 is definitely M imo...

However.

S S S, IT'S A TRICK
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

S S S, IT'S A TRICK

Listen to his Valveking test clip. I didn't vote because I have no idea, I sort of liked 2, but I really don't know.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks for all the votes so far.

1337Void - I hear what you are saying and appreciate your feedback. If you don't want to guess on all 3 then I can't use your single vote - but I will work on a Dirty clip for each this weekend.

Simsimius - I'll take that as S T M

CorduroyEW - thanks for taking the time - and I may ping you on a lemon oil question.

stujomo - tnx for the suggestion!

Osiris77 - I hear ya. Yeah, that's all I got. Actually if this test gets someone else w/better gear to do it and better skills then I've accomplished my real goal.

the Red Strat - thanks for offer on graph and for inspiring me! Also, how do you use Code to create tabbed stats if you know what I mean.
Quote by MrCarrot

I can hear nasty buzzy clipping on 1 and 3 and 2 sounds very much like a modeller. 2 is definitely M imo...

However.

S S S, IT'S A TRICK

it isn't, honestly

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

the Red Strat - thanks for offer on graph and for inspiring me! Also, how do you use Code to create tabbed stats if you know what I mean.

np

i don't know what you mean, but i think you mean to put the colom of votes in a code frame thingy ? for that, you select the votes and click blue 'code' picture-thingy. you'll have to space them out a bit more though, if you know what i mean.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 19, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
it isn't, honestly
Nicely ruined my joke there.

I still maintain that I hate them all.
Quote by MrCarrot

However.

S S S, IT'S A TRICK

Thanks for your input. Trust me, they are not all the same amp - I am trying to uphold a reputation around here

I guess that is a no vote?
Quote by MrCarrot
Nicely ruined my joke there.

I still maintain that I hate them all.

god i'm so bad at detecting jokes on the internet
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Thanks for your input. Trust me, they are not all the same amp - I am trying to uphold a reputation around here

I guess that is a no vote?
Haha, go for SMT in the interests of balance. Note i'm not ragging on your playing, I just think the tones are muddy and the distortion sounds like you've left a wah on.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
1 S
2 T
3 M

this was my vote as well

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by MrCarrot
Haha, go for SMT in the interests of balance. Note i'm not ragging on your playing, I just think the tones are muddy and the distortion sounds like you've left a wah on.

OK. We're cool. I almost didn't recognize you there with your avatar change

Well, I actually put a lot of time into this in figuring out what presets to use and how to dial each amp and I agree that they are not the best but it was the best I could do. No wah in other words.

It's probably my playing, my guitar, my mike, my amps or a combination of all.
Quote by werty22
I don't know which was which, but the only tolerable one for me was Amp2.

Thanks.

BTW this isn't a 'Which amp sounds better' or 'rate my Skillz'. I just figured I'd give it a shot since I had one of each.

OK - Dirty examples are now up. I know. They suck. I need a real mic and guitar lessons. If you don't like it, don't vote. I'll be back later tonight. <flame shield>

c = clean and d = dirty

NEW NOTE: For those that didn't like the tone of these amps the first time you are definitly not going to like it now. No Flame necessary. It takes balls to do this when you know you are not good. Anyway, if you want to revise your original vote go let me know. I'll be gone for a while but I'll check back. No Bad Monkey either on second Tube run. :
This camera mic cannot handle this so I won't upload anymore songs after this exercise until I get a decent mic LOL

Thanks!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 19, 2008,
Well I think it is great that you have taken the time to do this. I can't really tell which one is which so I would have to take a wild guess which would not be much use to you but thanks for taking the time. I would like to try something like this myself oneday. I personaly believe you can get great tone from tubes, regular solidstate amps and modelers it just comes down to personal preference and using the right equpiment for the job at hand.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Osiris77 - I hear ya. Yeah, that's all I got. Actually if this test gets someone else w/better gear to do it and better skills then I've accomplished my real goal.

Well I would be interested like I said but at the moment I have no way of recording the V3 direct or with good quality like I can with the Pod. So right now all I can do is show myself, but from my ears I'd say I can make the Pod sound like the V3 but the V3 can't do nearly what the Pod can. So for now just take that for what its worth unless I could get someone with a way to record a nice tube amp direct then we could compare sound clips?
Something I am curious though, do you (311ZOSOVHJH) feel that the valveking was a good upgrade for you. I have a few amps at the moment a small peavey backstage combo, a modded valve junior combo and a traynor YCV20 combo. I also had a cube 60 that I sold to buy the traynor. I have to be honest and say that the cube 60 was a lot of fun with such a wide range of tones and the traynor on its own was not such the great upgrade I thought it would be. The traynor has sweet cleans and does classic rock tones very well and boosts well with an overdrive. The cube had nice cleans on the JC channel had dryer cleans on the black panel setting could get bluesey on the tweed setting, I could go mad on the rectifier setting and the dyna amp was a blast once you figure out where to set the guitar volume, where to set the drive on the amp and just how hard to pick to control the drive. Add to that the built in effects allthough limited and the cube 60 was a great amp. Now I probably would not go back to the cube 60 because I am starting to find the tones I have been looking for but it has taken me a while to get there. On the other hand I would not be disapointed in any way to still have a cube 60. So that is why I ask how do you find your upgrade are you pleased, suprised, dissapointed. I was a little dissapointed at first but I am on vacation from work and have time to get the amp sounding how I like it.
Thanks Osiris77 and Stujomo!

Stu - I'm Ok with it. It is what it is. It sounds better with OD and cranked up. I'm still in a love/hate relationship here

Thanks for your suggestions above - really. I think I need to try and play something better and replace it with my current VK test w/camera because it's not that good. I really hope this Poll exercise does not turn into something that it is not.
and thanks again for participating with feedback.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 19, 2008,
I'm going for

M
T
S

The second one was the one that sounded , i dunno more 'open'?
Didn't fancy any of the tones but thats my vote
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I still stand by SMT, and I still stand by the observation that it sounds like you've left a wah on. ROLL YOUR BLOODY TONE CONTROLS UP.
Page 1 of 2