this might sound stupid , but how can i convince my 9 year old brother that slash is overrated. I'm not saying hes bad but i just want him to see that he is not the best.i have tried showing him the pentatonic minor scale , and i explained to him how easy it is to make a solo like slash , but it is still not working . Any ideas , i am not saying he sucks . Thank you
actually show him somebody better, not just a scale that can be made into a solo and how easy it is.

We're coming back, coming back
We'll live forever, live forever
Let's have wedding, have a wedding
Let's start the killing, start the killing

why do you need to show him anything? just let him believe whatever he wants, hes 9 years old for christs sake
show him some other **** i guess like buckethead,Micheal Angelo, eric johnson, try n get him into other guys idk what else to tell ya lol show him under rated ppl they r usually pretty good
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
yea, why does he have to think what you think? Someone being under/overrated is simply a matter of opinion...let him think whatever he wants. Slash kicks ass by the way

Gibson Les Paul Studio Wine Red w/ Gold Hardware
Gibson SG Faded Worn Cherry
Fender Classic Series 70's Stratocaster Olympic White
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Wah Pedal
Fender Frontman 25R
fight him

Quote by gunsnroses2592
Slash kicks ass by the way

pff.... a slash fan WOULD say that
i just couldnt stand him thinking slash is the best , and he keeps using the november rain solo as his defense , lol
btw i never said slash sucks , i just want to show my brother hes not the best , and hes overrated
Let 'im hear the Comfortably Numb Solo, that oughta do the job...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
I think metal shredding is annoying, so I do not consider it good. I think its considerably harder to put emotion into playing.
Don't cry over spilt milk! Soak it up with you penile sponge!
ok i think , il stop trying because until he gets more into the guitar , he wont understand good technique and skill etc. until then slashes solos are catchy , i guess , i dunno , or maybe its his stereotypical rock star look and poses lol
Quote by flyingE27
i just couldnt stand him thinking slash is the best , and he keeps using the november rain solo as his defense , lol

which november rain solo is he talking about
because if its the first or second, he's damn near right
those 2 solos have some of the mosst soul and best phrasing i've ever heard

the outro, on the other hand, isn't that great
yea first one in the desert with the unplugged guitar , btw those 3 guitarist were amazing
Quote by flyingE27
yea first one in the desert with the unplugged guitar , btw those 3 guitarist were amazing

well then yeah, as far as phrasing and emotion go, he's right
get him into more blues and blues based rock
clapton, aerosmith, and like bands
if you really want to change his mind though, SRV is the way to do it
Quote by flyingE27
this might sound stupid , but how can i convince my 9 year old brother that slash is overrated.

I stopped reading here.
You can't reason with 9 year olds.
Let me get this straight

You think your nine-year-old brother has a problem because he likes Slash?

What are most nine-year-olds listening to? The jonas brothers, hannah montana, animated movie soundtracks, and kids bop.

I think you need to realize how good you have it man.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Guess I'm gonna repeat some of the other's sentiments, but hey, it's a free country.....

What's wrong with him loving Slash? Slash is great. What do you mean by better? I love people talk about how overrated the guy is, and the people who they point out is better collectively have not sold as many albums or made as many panties drop as Slash has.

Clapton is overrated too. He's still one of the best to ever pick up the instrument. Frankly, I love Jimi, but he's overrated in my opinion, but that does change the fact that he played some of the coolest licks to ever come off of the instrument.

My favorite player is Joe Perry. I think he's the best ever! There's probably only two people on this forum that would agree with me, but you know what? He sounds better to me than anybody else! I love his riffs! He plays with a sloppy coolness that I dig. And the thing about it, he may not even be the best player in his own band! Brad Whitford is the most underrated guitarist of all time! And I've seen Steven Tyler pick up an axe in concert and frickin' wail on the thing because Joe forgot how to play the intro to One Way Street one night during the encore.

But to my ears, not even Jeff Beck sounds as good, not Jimmy Page, not Jimi, not Eric, and certainly none of the shredders who mix and match 25 different scales and play a million notes a second....I'm sorry for guys who like that, but that's just technical guitar vomit.....as Keith Richards said, "Guitar playing is about the rhythym man."

Be thankful that he likes Slash, he could be listening to rap for Christ's sake! Turn him onto the bands that influenced Slash: Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Jimi, Hanoi Rocks (big time underrated), the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc.......

He'll find other players he'll like and even get into different types of music....Jimmy Page's influence on me has turned me onto DADGAD tuning, and Celtic music.

You never know where his infatuation might lead. Hell it would be terrible if he started playing, came up with some great riffs, laid down some simple solos and got a few other guys together, sold a bazillion records, got rich, and lived happily ever after.
Why do you feel the need to change his opinions? Besides, he's nine. I mean, I'm not a big Slash fan, but the fact that he even knows who Slash is let alone listens to him and admires him is impressive. His musical maturity is incredible considering his age. At the rate he's going, he'll be listening to Krautrock and free jazz when he's 13.
He uses the November Rain solo in defense...use Stairway's Solo in your offense....Bring him on to Hendrix, Page, Clapton......and heck even say slash didn't make rolling stones top 100 guitarists of all time while the three i mentioned are all in the top 10....if that don't work ur sol
Equipment Fund: $947
SAving for Marhall DSL100 Half stack

Gear
Epiphone LP Standard
Starcaster by Fender
Marshall MG30DFX
VOx Pathfinder 15R
Vox Wah
Quote by JJ74
He uses the November Rain solo in defense...use Stairway's Solo in your offense....Bring him on to Hendrix, Page, Clapton......and heck even say slash didn't make rolling stones top 100 guitarists of all time while the three i mentioned are all in the top 10....if that don't work ur sol

That list was one of the worst I've ever seen.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
lol i kno the list sucks....its the only one i've seen tho....I mean Kurt Cobain is #12 WTF
Equipment Fund: $947
SAving for Marhall DSL100 Half stack

Gear
Epiphone LP Standard
Starcaster by Fender
Marshall MG30DFX
VOx Pathfinder 15R
Vox Wah
He's F'N NINE!!!

When I was nine, I loved Michael Jackson, and wanted one of those stupid zipper jackets. My parents didn't try to convince me not to like Michael Jackson. I even had a rat tail...damn I wish I could go back in time and bitch slap myself sometimes!

Like already said, he's nine and is a fan of GNR. That's awesome. He'll pick up on other things along the way. Instead of arguing with the kid, just say "yes, Slash is great, here, check out some of these other bands that even he likes."
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Let 'im hear the Comfortably Numb Solo, that oughta do the job...

Yeah, so then instead of being obsessed with one overrated guitarist, the brother will be obsessed with a guitarist that ISN'T overrated!

Excellent plan!
Quote by flyingE27
btw i never said slash sucks , i just want to show my brother hes not the best , and hes overrated

Why?
Funny words.
slash is a bit of a sell out but i reckon its cool that a nine year old likes slash, some his solos are kind of hard he is still a good guitarist
yngwie malmsteen is the best shredder alive. i dont like his style, but he is the fastest of them all (he has ALL scalloped frets). guessing he is a 9 year old, he will like the fastest and the bast
Quote by bassbrotha
yngwie malmsteen is the best shredder alive. i dont like his style, but he is the fastest of them all (he has ALL scalloped frets). guessing he is a 9 year old, he will like the fastest and the bast

Yeah, alright then junior.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Yeah, alright then junior.

Then who?? he beats steve vai (in speed not sound) and evh (once again, only in speed not sound, i love evh).
Quote by bassbrotha
Then who?? he beats steve vai (in speed not sound) and evh (once again, only in speed not sound, i love evh).

Rusty Cooley, Shawn Lane, Michael Angelo Batio, Jason Becker, Francesco Fareri...
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Rusty Cooley, Shawn Lane, Michael Angelo Batio, Jason Becker, Francesco Fareri...

Michael Angelo is a ****ing joke. He might be the one "guitarist" I hate more than Yngwie.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Maybe, just maybe, he just prefers the music Slash writes.

Amazing, I know...

Don't **** with people's opinions.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...