no

there is no better guitarist, no one is the same, close, but not the same

edit: woops thought it said guitarist
Last edited by Ghold125 at Jul 18, 2008,
not really, generally the ones still around are built a little better than their modern equivalents, but a lot of older guitars are essentially sturdier first act wal-mart guitars.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
ummmmm, back in the ol days, they payed way more attention to building, by equivelents, a 1970's fender is a hand made guitar now days.

also, the wood in the guitar ages, and changes their tone, the frets also wear in.

anyways, its a personal thing, i like old guitars better
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
No.

As with anything, the technology improves with age.

Modern day guns are better then 1776 flintlocks..

Same goes with guitars and amps.

Remeber the first Fenders could be bought in department stores when they first came out, just like the First Acts and student **** you find in Wal Mart and BJ's these days.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Jul 18, 2008,
They're "broken-in" and should feel more... comfortable?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
No, but they can be more expensive.
Depends on what they're made of. Guitars these days are better, of course.
Workin' hard or hardly workin'?

I really think it's personal preference. I like old ones, but, some people don't.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by 451F
I really think it's personal preference. I like old ones, but, some people don't.

yup
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Pizza The Hut
No.

As with anything, the technology improves with age.

Modern day guns are better then 1776 flintlocks..

Same goes with guitars and amps.

Remeber the first Fenders could be bought in department stores when they first came out, just like the First Acts and student **** you find in Wal Mart and BJ's these days.

I don't believe they had department stores when fenders first came out....
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by Chance125
I don't believe they had department stores when fenders first came out....

Ever hear of Sears and Roebuck? Montgomery Wards?

My uncle got his first Tele (about 51 i think) from a Sears catalog.
Not always, but on occasion older guitars can be preferable.

I love the feel of my Kramer and it's a one-piece body which you never find on guitars anymore...
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Ever hear of Sears and Roebuck? Montgomery Wards?

My uncle got his first Tele (about 51 i think) from a Sears catalog.

Yeah, but back then people got a lot of high end stuff out of Sears and Roebuck catalogs, so saying that you could buy Fenders in dept. stores and comparing to wal-mart guitars doesn't really work.

Last.fm
Depends, older guitars were generally made with more QC than some of the modern mass marketed guitars. But, I also think there is a bit of a psychological aspect to it. People will tend to believe that older guitars sound better, because someone told them, even though they may really sound the same as modern ones. Sound is one sense that can be very easily manipulated.
Quote by icyfire
Depends, older guitars were generally made with more QC than some of the modern mass marketed guitars. But, I also think there is a bit of a psychological aspect to it. People will tend to believe that older guitars sound better, because someone told them, even though they may really sound the same as modern ones. Sound is one sense that can be very easily manipulated.

Aren't the pickups we have nowadays far higher tech, and thus able to reproduce the sound of the guitar better - resulting in a sound that is truer to the guitar itself, rather than to the characteristics of the pickups?

In my mind it is so, but someone may be able to enlighten me here.
Quote by Habit Zero
Aren't the pickups we have nowadays far higher tech, and thus able to reproduce the sound of the guitar better - resulting in a sound that is truer to the guitar itself, rather than to the characteristics of the pickups?

In my mind it is so, but someone may be able to enlighten me here.

Not really, I mean now we have active pups and piezo pups and whatnot, but really most pickups are pretty much the same as old ones in terms or design and whatnot, they are pretty simple devices.

Last.fm
Also consider that the wiring and pickups and pots in older guitars have somewhat decayed/fouled up from dirt and moisture over the years. The technology was just ****tier back then. Truss rod ports were simply giant philips head screws, ect.
I'm sure there were crap guitars back then, just as there are now. Although, a good 1959 Les Paul Standard compared to a good 2008 Les Paul Standard... I don't think I really need to say that the '59 is probably going to be the better of the two.
It's all subjective. Most people will tend to believe an older instrument is better because that's what everyone has always repeated. I bet even some 50's Les Pauls were dogs, just like any other product. There's this huge trend the past number of years to label everything as vintage (it is used), limited edition or out of production (it was unpopular), or a collector's item (hang it on a wall, it doesn't play all that great) and charge a premium for it from someone who doesn't know how to pick out a good modern instrument with warranty and more consistent QC.

That said, some older instruments are built nice. The thing is, caps, pots, wiring, wood, bridges, etc, in earlier years are usually less fancy. They cost more to make (in relative money) but will sometimes tend to last longer as the technology required them to be overengineered to ensure they would function to specs. I've got an 80's washburn that is solid as a tank, fairly light and built with care. The wonderbar trem on it is an engineering dog and pony show, being full of all sorts of goodies, rollers, ball bearings, etc. That fell by the wayside as it was just too expensive to keep producing. Is it crappier? No, actually it lets you put a nice trem on a guitar without routing the body, but the economics weren't right and at the end of the day any company that concerns itself more with whiz-bang gadgets or making everything "the best" with no regard to cost control will soon find itself filing for bankruptcy.

The really good ideas over the years have tended to stand the test of time and become common fixtures and technological starting points even today for any new design. But to get back to the point of the thread, are older ones any better? depends what your'e looking for. If you're looking for afforable, yeah, they're a LOT better. If you're looking for durability, maybe not. They don't have to be built as heavy duty to do the same job. If yo mean sound/feel (probably the msot important areas) it is 100% whatever your own opinion tells you after trying both. Approach it with an open mind and get what YOU like.
Last edited by Hydra26 at Jul 19, 2008,
Generally they're better made as they were made by hand, as for sound, I wouldn't say better, just different, as not everyone likes that kinda 60s fuzz some guitars were reknowned for.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2