I'm a blues nut who is looking for a very versitile blues tone. Something in the vain of SRV, Clapton cleans, and Robert Cray. My Strat should be a perfect match for this.

Is this is good decisision for me? I am not looking for a huge amp, which is why I have shyed away from larger super reverbs or twins.

Could anyone possibly recomend me anything better in the $1000-1500 range?

Thanks, Hawk
Yessir. That amp and a tubescreamer should nail those tones you're looking for.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
i play all the same stuff, and wanted the Deluxe Reverb Reissue to be the perfect amp for me. However when i tried it out, i found that it was very very nice, but it wasnt really THAT much better than my Hot Rod Deluxe as far as cleans go. It was better, but not 300-400 dollars better. i hear the vintage ones are much better.
by all means though, go try one out. Its still an amazing amp. I fell in love with its "vibrato". better than any pedal can give you.
but since you love robert cray, look into a Matchless. although those are quite pricy. his matchless amp is pretty similar to a Vox AC30 (matchless DC30) but it has a little but of an american vibe to it. really thick syrupy cleans.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i play all the same stuff, and wanted the Deluxe Reverb Reissue to be the perfect amp for me. However when i tried it out, i found that it was very very nice, but it wasnt really THAT much better than my Hot Rod Deluxe as far as cleans go. It was better, but not 300-400 dollars better. i hear the vintage ones are much better.
by all means though, go try one out. Its still an amazing amp. I fell in love with its "vibrato". better than any pedal can give you.
but since you love robert cray, look into a Matchless. although those are quite pricy. his matchless amp is pretty similar to a Vox AC30 (matchless DC30) but it has a little but of an american vibe to it. really thick syrupy cleans.

Yeah, i had a feeling that it wasn't that much over a HRD, but I also like the fact that its a lower wattage amp, and doesn't have the distortion channels, and i LOVE the reverb and vibrato on the DRRI.

I love Crays tone recently (seen him twice over the past year) but thats money i don't have.
Quote by hawk5211
Yeah, i had a feeling that it wasn't that much over a HRD, but I also like the fact that its a lower wattage amp, and doesn't have the distortion channels, and i LOVE the reverb and vibrato on the DRRI.

I love Crays tone recently (seen him twice over the past year) but thats money i don't have.

yeah his tone is killer. But his tone has nothing on his phrasing. Man he is a great player. and singer.

but ill put it this way, it i didnt already have an HRD, i would probably get deluxe reverb. It does have better cleans, but the fact that its made in america increases the price.

take it for some test drives though, it might be PERFECT for you.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by gregs1020
The DRRI is a great amp. This would work as well and is worth a look too for the tones you want. You may get lucky and find one of the two used, you can if you have time. Good luck.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Vibrolux-ReverbAmp-Combo?sku=480513

I had looked as that as my other choice, along witha super reverb, but I heard it breaks up early, and doens't have much headroom. I would like at least a little bit, but I also like the lower wattage of the DRRI
are you able to try one out?
im sure if you did buy one blindly, you would be happy with it. i just personally think its a tab bit expensive. i see them on ebay alot for great prices though, check it out.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
are you able to try one out?
im sure if you did buy one blindly, you would be happy with it. i just personally think its a tab bit expensive. i see them on ebay alot for great prices though, check it out.

yes I should be able to try out the DRRI, super reverb, and maybe a vibrolux. I will most likely go with a new amp tho...

Which will have more headroom, a vibrolux, super reverb, or a deluxe reverb?
i would think the vibrolux and super reverb have the most headroom, because they are 40 watts. both of those im sure have similar headroom. the deluxe reverb is often chosen because at 22 watts, you can get it to sound nicely broken up at gig volumes. It would still be pretty clean, but not perfectly clean. if you wanted it perfectly clean at a gig, just mic it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
for 1500 bucks look at the Chicago blues box that darkarbiter7 has I think It would be a great amp for you
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Super Reverb would, what with it being 45w and a 4x10, wheras the Vibrolux is a 35w 1x12 and the Deluxe Reverb is a rather quiet 22w 1x12. You'd probably struggle to get a huge amount of headroom from a Deluxe Reverb. Not to mention they don't sound brilliant - thanks to the design pushing the 6V6s so hard they can sound thin, especially when compared to the warm Vibrolux and the very luscious Super Reverb.

I definitely think the Super Reverb is the best option. Like the Deluxe Reverb but just better.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by chea_man
i would think the vibrolux and super reverb have the most headroom, because they are 40 watts. both of those im sure have similar headroom. the deluxe reverb is often chosen because at 22 watts, you can get it to sound nicely broken up at gig volumes. It would still be pretty clean, but not perfectly clean. if you wanted it perfectly clean at a gig, just mic it.

I always mic at gigs (and I also work the board too which helps lol) so I only need enough headroom to get a loud enough sound for playing around home. My idea is to keep the amp more clean and then boost with a tubescreamer. I am also scared that 40 watts (or 45 in the SR) will be too much for me to use, and to get it to breakup at a moderate level.

Could an attenuator (THD hotplate) be used with these amps. It seems like it should, and that may help a fair bit.

Thanks for all the help chea_man!
well if you always mic and want decent clean sounds at home, then the deluxe reverb would be great. plus, i like the 6v6s in that amp, there a little sweeter sounding than 6L6s, in fact, im considering putting 6v6s in my HRD.
you could use an attenuator with them, but if you get the deluxe you probably wont need it, unless you really want to crank it up at home.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by MrCarrot
Super Reverb would, what with it being 45w and a 4x10, wheras the Vibrolux is a 35w 1x12 and the Deluxe Reverb is a rather quiet 22w 1x12. You'd probably struggle to get a huge amount of headroom from a Deluxe Reverb. Not to mention they don't sound brilliant - thanks to the design pushing the 6V6s so hard they can sound thin, especially when compared to the warm Vibrolux and the very luscious Super Reverb.

I definitely think the Super Reverb is the best option. Like the Deluxe Reverb but just better.

you're one of the first people that has said that the deluxe doesn't sound good. Since the super and vibrolux are both 10" speakers, and the deluxe is 12, i can understand whay the deluxe is working a bit harder to push the biggere speaker, but I wouldn't think it would sound that strained...
it comes down to personal preference. thatw why its imperative to try one out.
and im sure he doesnt think its a bad sounding amp, he probably just prefers the others.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
alright well my local store has a super reverb and a vibrolux, and the other one a little farthur away has a deluxe reverb, and I will be off to try them in a few days.

It sucks in a smaller city since the stores don't have the budget to stock all the midrange fender tube amps at the same time, so it makes a/b ing them hard. Hence the multitude of questions.

Thanks for all the input!
Quote by hawk5211
you're one of the first people that has said that the deluxe doesn't sound good. Since the super and vibrolux are both 10" speakers, and the deluxe is 12, i can understand whay the deluxe is working a bit harder to push the biggere speaker, but I wouldn't think it would sound that strained...
I didn't say it doesn't sound good, I said it doesn't sound as good as the bigger ones. The issue isn't with pushing the speaker, it's just that the tubes are being pushed to their limit and give a very 'clean' and almost thin sound because of it, not complimented by the fact that 6V6s focus more on aggressiveness and aren't as smooth as the big 6L6s. Still taste, but tonally IMO the Super Reverb is better for one.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i think he needs american voiced. if i recall correctly, those are similar to a marshall 18 watt. (could be wrong)
although a dr Z galaxie would be great for him too
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
The nice thing about the Dr Z amps, based on what I've gathered when I tested a few out, is that they seem to have a very "neutral" voicing, not distinctively british or american (except the route 66). I think they work great for blues (what i play).

However, if the OP is looking for an amp that directly emulates the tones of SRV/Robert Cray, i'd suggest to him to go for the Deluxe Reverb. Its a nice amp. If he wants an amp with a little more versatility, and IMO a nicer, richer tone, I would suggest that he look at this amp, and maybe some of the other low wattage boutique amps in his price range, particularly the Carr Rambler. Think of it as a Deluxe Reverb on Steriods.

http://www.carramps.com/rambler.html
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
What exactly is the tonal difference between a super reverb and a vibrolux. Is the Super just louder as its pushing more air with the 4 10's.

also, other than being an original, how much different is this amp here from the new vibrolux custom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpOqrZHB6k

I love his tone on that whole vid. that would be a good tone for me.
Vibrolux's have more bass and balls, Supers have more sting and punch. (I prefer the vibros by a lot).
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
if the amp is 22W, you can roll the volume down on your guitar to get cleans when you're at breakup volumes
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns