How does one go about practicing jazz? Ive been trying to learn songs but the majority of them are improvised so it doesnt really help. Also looking at real books has not been helping me too much because it doesnt really help me how to write my own stuff. I'd like to learn some jazz songs with good licks so that i can get ideas when improvising but i havent had any luck. Suggestions?
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Last edited by jpgilbert701 at Jul 19, 2008,
i usually compose/play fusion....and in most cases, i do whatever i want.........i basically throw theory out the window, zappa-esque.

do what you want.....thats my advice
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Play with a group.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Here's what helped me out the most, transcribing solos. Go through your favorite players, pick your favorite pieces they did and transcribe their solos note for note. Even more importantly however, is figuring out WHY they did what they did.
Quote by Jimmy94
Here's what helped me out the most, transcribing solos. Go through your favorite players, pick your favorite pieces they did and transcribe their solos note for note. Even more importantly however, is figuring out WHY they did what they did.

This.

Which is pretty much useless (not that the ear training aspect of it is ever useless) if you don't have the necessary theoretical background.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
You just have to listen to lots of jazz, play lots of jazz, and transcribe.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.