Page 1 of 4
i saw them at warped tour.. pretty funny band.. they seemed kinda like a corny cover band, but they were original.. so that was cool.. it's like jimmy buffet in a way of originality. also, backup singer/noise maker was hillarious
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I seen them at warped tour the other day with my bro who had seen them once before. They came out and said we are metallica and then played enter sandman till the chorus. It was crazy, I about died laughing. They are a really entertaining band live though, they have a lot of energy.
Favourite third wave band. They're really nice people to meet and they clearly enjoy what they do =) I saw them live this year and they did a medley of Good Thing, Your Guts I Hate 'em, I'm Her Man and Monkey Man all as straight ska. I creamed myself.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Really.

As a band that started in this Orange County third wave ska revival they have played the same style for over 15 years without selling out or simply dropping out like so many bands here did. They still tour like no other band basically without stopping but only to record. And top of that they aren't bad ska musicians.
Quote by KingsofSka
Really.

As a band that started in this Orange County third wave ska revival they have played the same style for over 15 years without selling out or simply dropping out like so many bands here did. They still tour like no other band basically without stopping but only to record. And top of that they aren't bad ska musicians.

I don't care if they've sold out or not. Tell me the difference between THIS and THIS

Because the first one is ska. The second one is pop-punk with barre chords and staccato chords on the upbeat during the verse.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I just can't believe that comparing RBF to the Specials makes them sound great.

Shut it
Quote by original=punk
I don't care if they've sold out or not. Tell me the difference between THIS and THIS

Because the first one is ska. The second one is pop-punk with barre chords and staccato chords on the upbeat during the verse.

To be fair dude, you deliberately chose one of their least ska sounding songs. It doesn't take much to say that Don't Start A Band isn't ska music. But if you flick through their library, I think you can pick out as many ska songs as there are pop-punk and pop-rock. They aren't the best ska band, hell no. But they're good at what they do.
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by DisgruntledDuck
To be fair dude, you deliberately chose one of their least ska sounding songs. It doesn't take much to say that Don't Start A Band isn't ska music. But if you flick through their library, I think you can pick out as many ska songs as there are pop-punk and pop-rock. They aren't the best ska band, hell no. But they're good at what they do.

I picked a random video. I don't listen to them, so therefore, I don't what that song sounds like. I didn't even listen.

And a band who is good at the 3rd wave style of music stuff is Streelight Manifesto. Not RBF.
I had forgotten about this band until warped tour this year and made me look through my cd collection to find their old records. man they are still good as there where 8 years ago when i first saw them live.
Quote by KingsofSka
Yaaa lets hate on bands we don't know whooo!!

I've heard enough to dislike them alot. not only them, but the entire scene they represent. Dumb, beer drinking frat kids who think of Van Wilder as their idol.
I know a lot of people who are in this scene you think you know. I've never met any Van Wilder worshippers. Or frat boys.

You sound so silly ranting about things you have no clue about.
I know people in this scene as well. And while I may have picked a bad analogy, my opinion stands.

This scene is filled with ignorant suburban white kids who still are into Bowling For Soup, but want to be cooler like those "punk" kids they see. So they get into faux "ska" like RBF and LTJ. It's not about musical, it's about looking cool.
Pardon me for jumping in but I would just like to thank RBF for being my main "Gateway" band into ska music. If it weren't for these guys I wouldn't have discovered other ska bands that I listen to now, and along the way getting into the punk scene as well. I don't really give them much of a thought anymore but I am very grateful for them introducing me to all of the other great bands I have found on my journey through skankdom.
How many brothas fell victim to the streets?

Rest in peace young nigga, there's a heaven for a G.
Quote by original=punk

This scene is filled with ignorant suburban white kids who still are into Bowling For Soup, but want to be cooler like those "punk" kids they see. So they get into faux "ska" like RBF and LTJ. It's not about musical, it's about looking cool.

thats simply not true, ska hasnt been "cool" for a good 5 years

and by stereotyping people ignorant because of their ethnicity & socioeconomic status, is kind of pot calling kettle black
Quote by original=punk
Sorry. That's my experience. Along with disliking the music, I hate the scene. It pisses me off.

Dude I really don't want an argument! Heh. I'm not going to stop liking the band if people associate them with scenesters. I think they're good at what they do and there is a clear ska influence.

Yeah, there are better ska bands out there - I said that in my first post. Streetlight, Slackers, Leftover Crack, Big D, Tim Armstrong's solo work, Planet Smashers, Fishbone etc. The list goes on for days. But RBF are a fun band who take ska and mix it with pop-rock (I question the punk part a lot) and what they produce is something that doesn't harm anyone.

I mean you may not agree, but I think when Aaron Barrett started "The Forces of Evil" band he was trying to help the ska scene in California because of his passion for the music. Of course, it IS possible to argue that he wants "his genre" to thrive so that he makes more money. But then again, they're on a small label now.

But yeah we'll agree to disagree dude. Peace?
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

Quote by FuzzyBear
thats simply not true, ska hasnt been "cool" for a good 5 years

and by stereotyping people ignorant because of their ethnicity & socioeconomic status, is kind of pot calling kettle black

Again, my experiences. And ska is huge with those types of kids. Not completely mainstream, but those who think they're cool because they listen to slightly different music than their friends.

EDIY: And if i'm not mistaken, did you just imply that I'm racist towards white people? Well, maybe you're not too far off, but I'm not.
Last edited by original=punk at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by FuzzyBear
i was implying that your comment was quite pretentious

Cause I haven't been raised in that exact environment, and of course I've never seen it happen many times, and of course I haven't actually had a personal experience with that.

Yep. None of that ever happened, so I'm being quite pretentious.
My experiences affect my opinions.
I have justified it.

See: My best friend's girlfriend. Started "listening" to his music because they started going out. They went to warped to see RBF. She doesn't recognize any of the songs that they played from their newer album from 2007. The album that she bought.

There's your example.
In my opinion, RBF don't represent anything other than guys who wanted to play fun, dumb music. That's not really something to be hated.

I don't like them, but that's becasue of their music, but I don't hate them for some bull**** reason about what they "represent".
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
In my opinion, RBF don't represent anything other than guys who wanted to play fun, dumb music. That's not really something to be hated.

I don't like them, but that's becasue of their music, but I don't hate them for some bull**** reason about what they "represent".

I said the scene that revolves around them is a factor in my dislike.
Page 1 of 4